“Terrific neighborhood place!”
Review of Al Callarello

Al Callarello
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Al Callarello is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,042 of 13,219 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Aventine
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed this visit on the Aventine hill and this restaurant was just a short walk to the Testaccio neighborhood. We found the food to be excellent, the service very friendly and we had no problem with the handwritten bill. Both younger waiters speak good English and we got excellent recommendations on what to order. The restaurant specializes in seafood, and we were recommended a couple of items that weren't even on the daily menu. I had the tuna tartare for instance, which was pure goodness of the freshest and most amazing tuna. Needed no garnish except salt, pepper and bit of olive oil. We were happy enough that we returned the next day. They asked what I wanted and when I asked for prawns, the waiter suggested a platter of grilled seafood--gamberi, scampi and calamari. Was quite lovely. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. We also left ourselves in the waiter's capable hands when ordering red wine the first night and beer the next. He came back with excellent choices. He was disappointed we didn't order white wine, but once we asked for red, he brought us an excellent inexpensive half-bottle. We will be back to Al Callarello the next time we visit Rome.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Since my Italian uncle introduced me to this restaurant, where he was 'known', my experiences have been excellent. However there is one of the waiters who, in any other country, would be receiving psychiatric help.

Sea food pastas are excellent, lunchtime is best, outside is fabulous during the summer.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had been eating in this restaurant "just by chance". The dishes (for example, risotto with zucchine, fettucine with funghi porcini) turned out to be really good and over the average. Also the creativity is over the average: for example, never before i had eaten gnocchetti with funghi porcini and clams. The prices on the "daily" menu are higher than the prices on the standard menu. Nevertheless we really enjoyed the food but we did not enjoy the hand-written sheet of paper telling us what we have to pay. So we had to ask for the official "scontrino". In such a restaurant I would not have expected such a behaviour.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

My Italian friend, my English chum and me visited this restaurant on Saturday 18th May. We had booked a table in the downstairs restaurant in the afternoon but when we arrived at 8:30 it had been given away! We were taken upstairs to the street area where we were given an alternative. The head waiter (don't know if he was the manager) was desperately rude and until my Italian friend intervened totally ignored us. The pasta was extremely good but the rest of the meal very disappointing - we had to find 3 wine choices before they had one in stock! The shock came at then end of the meal when I came to pay - the handwritten bill stated 69 euros
But he charged me 90 euros. When we queried this he was absolutely furious (and smoking a cigarette whilst holding food). I managed to get 10 euros back but it was a ghastly experience - my Italian friend was horrified and very embarrassed. I also had to get my own cutlery as they didn't bother to set the table either!!

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

If she offers garlic bread dont get it as it not good- super cold bread w some tomato on top. My wife and i ordered carbonara and vongole which was super salty (carbonara) and the latter did not taste fresh (vongole). I hope our next meal is much better.