“Loved it, loved it, loved it!”

La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali
Ranked #295 of 12,262 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Monti
Edmonton
“Loved it, loved it, loved it!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Steps from the busy Imperial forum area, this classy restaurant offers superb Italian food for delightfully reasonable prices! We grabbed the one outside table and spent almost three happy hours there one afternoon. Our pasta specials were so delicious, we then ordered caponata. THAT was so good, we had to try the house-specialty zabaglione. Go inside and check out the photos of celebs who have loved it, too. Oh, and our bill, with wine, coffee, sparkling water and liqueurs for two? Less than 60 euros!!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Tim M

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“A perfect 30th birthday meal”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My fiancee and I visited Rome for the first time for 4 nights in January staying at the Hotel Morgana. It was my fiancee's 30th birthday and on the evening of her birthday we were looking for somewhere special to eat and came across this beautiful restaurant by accident. It was packed out and as we stood reading the menu outside we were told by a couple who were entering the restaurant that we should go in as it was excellent. We wondered whether we would be able to get a table but they very quickly found us a table and the three courses were exquisite. The service was excellent despite how busy they were and the ambience of the restaurant was beautiful. It made a very special day even more special and a big thank you everyone.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Mark R
“Great italian restaurant!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 1300, and we had to wait few minutes for a table. Its a small restaurant, but has great ambiance. The owner walks around with a flower apron talking to costumers, and serving dishes. We had the eggpland parmagiano to start, and all 4 of us loved it! We all got different pasta dishes and they were all very good. The prices were average. The only thing i would complain about is the basket of bread. They put a basket of bread As u sit down, which we didnt care for. When we got the check we saw the bread we never asked for on the bill for ?6! I learnt my lesson, and would try to give it back to the kitchen as soon as we get it. Other than that, the restaurant was great!

1 Thank Kelly1228
London, United Kingdom
“Rude staff, badly prepared food - don't bother”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I visited this taverna a week ago on our last night in Rome and so were really looking forward to a good last meal of our trip. Our evening did not get off to the best start when we were seated right next to the open kitchen and serving station (we had made a reservation three days in advance) before, upon asking to move, being seated next to the bathroom. On request, we were then moved again to a far better table. The restaurant seemed to be largely full of tourists rather than locals. We ordered antipasti/primi of aubergine parmigiana for me (average and did not taste like it had been seasoned at all) and parpadelle carbonara for my husband (decent). We also ordered a very drinkable bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon to accompany our meal.

Up until this point everything had been passable enough but our mains arriving was when the meal really started to go downhill. My husband's Tuscan style steak was pretty average and certainly not how we had ever been served steak in Tuscany (which we have visited several times) before. Worse, my cacio e pepe pasta was completely inedible with a hugely gritty texture - as if it had been prepared at the beach and a hefty dose of sand had been poured into it! I spoke to the girl who seemed to be the head waitress and she asked me, quite patronisingly, where I had ever eaten this dish before as that was what it was supposed to taste like. She did offer to exchange it for another dish but, at this moment, the chef/owner who had been hovering by came over to the table and was astoundingly rude to me, stating that I 'did not understand the style of the dish' and that the problem was with me not the food. At this point I did not want another dish and simply asked them to take the dish of the bill, which they did very begrudgingly. The evening was ruined by this point and they were clearly keen to get us out - even trying to remove the half full basket of bread for which they charge a 1.5euro cover charge each. We ended up drinking the remainder of our wine quickly so we could leave as soon as possible due to the unpleasant atmosphere.

There was no apology and no compensation for the fact that our evening was ruined. We had to pay the full bill minus the dish that was sent back despite the whole experience being completely soured. I found the owner's arrogance astounding, I have never been treated so rudely in a restaurant and was stunned that he would treat a customer in this way. Reading older reviews on TripAdvisor after the meal made it clear that the way the he acted was not an isolated incident. I would not recommend this restaurant to anybody and would advise everyone to avoid. There is so much wonderful food to be had in Italy that it is not worth the time or money to visit this establishment with it's rude staff and badly prepared food. Look elsewhere - you'll easily find better.

• Visited May 2013
7 Thank Alison C
Provincetown, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious food and super-friendly staff!!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We LOVED this taverna! We too, chose to eat there twice
during our weeklong stay in Rome. The staff are so friendly
and helpful- especially the owner's daughter Claudia!! She speaks
perfect English and made lots of excellent suggestions on both food
and wine. Though this place is apparently always busy and you
need a reservation according to the folks at the Hotel Nerva, we were *never*
rushed when we were there. It was the outstanding, reasonably-priced food and their friendliness that made us want to return a second time, despite the many other options in Rome. The Roman artichokes are to die for- we ordered a second helping they were
so good! We can't wait to return the next time we're in Rome!

• Visited May 2013