“Superb Variations on Roman Cuisine”

La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali
Ranked #340 of 12,672 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Monti
Reviewed March 10, 2013

La Taverna dei Fori Imperiali was our favorite restaurant in Rome. We had dinner and lunch, and wish we had been able to return for another meal. Several of our choices were standard Roman fare, but with a difference: cacio e pepe with truffles, carbonara with artichoke and fava beans, and others were simply superb preparations of classics: lasagna and Jewish-style artichokes. On the creative side, a veal chop with truffle sauce and pork with juniper berries were outstanding. An almond paste and chocolate dessert was out of this world. The service was extraordinarly welcoming and prompt. This is a family restaurant with very informal decor, though the vaulted ceilings offering a special feature. Reservations are a must; we saw many people turned away. Nice mix and tourists and locals.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Foremost, I really liked the staff. They were truly looking to helping you enjoy the evening. I think the woman that served us may have been related to the chef - regardless, she truly enjoyed her work. The food was very good, particularly the first course pasta - an excellent pesto ravioli with a different type of cheese and a black truffle pistachio. The main course were decent+, although nothing to rave about. Next time we will seek our servers advice! Go and enjoy.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I have to support all the 4 and 5 star reviews for this restaurant. It was great! Make sure that you make a reservation, as I saw them turn away about 20 people during the time I was dining.

The Tuscan pate was fabulous, as was the veal chop in sage and almonds (I'm going to make that dish when I get home!). Service was spot-on.

And I have to say: the toilets were the cleanest of my whole 5 weeks in Italy so far!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

The restaurant was nice inside and the service was excellent. The walls are adorned with famous faces of people who have frequented the restaurant, but I am afraid that the food failed to impress

Reviewed March 7, 2013

-Family restaurant, run by the family for many years.
-I understand that it has been visited by many 'stars' over the last years and I could believe this. It was certainly popular with tourists and I heard many English / American accents…..
-The food was great. I had a traditional Mozzarella di Buffala with Ham as a starter which was fresh and lovely. My main course of Pasta Carbonara was really lovely, a Roman speciality.
-Surprisingly, not that expensive! €60 for 2 people for a lovely meal with wine is pretty good for any city!
-One to remember!!