“Try someone else round the Colosseum.”
Review of City Wonders

City Wonders
Ranked #141 of 851 Tours in Rome
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: City Wonders Tours (formerly Dark Rome) offers special-access tours in Rome, the Vatican, Venice, Florence and Milan. We specialize in small, single language tours with Skip the Line Access at all major monuments and museums - making sure that you get the very best from every second of your vacation. As an Official Vatican Museums Partner, City Wonders offers No Wait Access at the Vatican Museums along with a number of exclusive and special-access tours. We also have special access to the Colosseum underground, third tier level and arena floor. As well as original walking tours, we offer a number of innovative day trips from Rome to Tuscany, Pompeii and Florence. In operation for over 10 years now, our focus on the little details, our excellent Customer Care team and our careful guide selection have made us one of the most popular tour operators in Rome - and we're still growing!
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Having not been to Rome before my husband and I decide to splash out on a pre booked tour of the Colosseum. All the reviews indicated that this would be £80+ money well spent. We were hosted by Luisa. She had a very strong accent that you had to strain to understand which switched my husband off very quickly and her insistence in repeatedly talking about the cleaning of the Colosseum was irritating. (I don't tend to want to hear about cleaning too much when I am on holiday). She was continually repeating herself and padding out her tour. It took 1 and a half hours of a 3hour tour to make it half way round the Colosseum. Because her grasp of the english language wasn't so good I was reluctant to ask her questions because the ones that were asked by other people, she didn't seem to answer. We left after and hour and a half and missed the Forum and Palatine parts of the tour because we were so fed up. All that we can imagine is that the others learnt how to clean those two sites. I learnt more about the Colosseum by reading about it in my guide book, talking to other members of my party who had seen it with another tour company and from the "When In Rome" guide during my trip round the Vatican. Maybe she was having a bad day, but not my cup of tea. Money wasted.

2  Thank Pebbles P
DarkRomeCS, Public Relations Manager at City Wonders, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Hello Pebbles,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your tour, it is only through feedback like yours that we can continue to improve. We are disappointed to hear about your negative experience on your Colosseum tour. At Dark Rome we're committed always providing high quality tours for our guests and, as evidenced by our reviews, generally succeed. I have alerted our Guides Management team about your issues with your guide's accent and the content she was delivering on the tour, and we will be working to make the needed improvements. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope that we could get another chance to earn your business back next time you're in Rome.

Best,
Dark Rome Customer Care

Write a ReviewReviews (13,812)
All reviews
"meeting point"
in 267 reviews
"local guide"
in 140 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 231 reviews
in 138 reviews
"three hours"
in 145 reviews

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We booked three tours whilst in Rome, two with Dark Rome and these were easily the best tours we've been on. I thought the evening Dark Rome tour, hence the company name, was fantastic so interested it had me hooked and disappointed when it ended. Elena was so easy to listen to approachable, informative. We were a small group of 6 which made it much nicer. So many aspects of Rome I'd not seen before and things that I'd walked past and not even realised.
The other Dark Rome tour was the colosseum, forum and palatine. Again Alessia was very helpful answering even the most obvious questions with great professionalism and enthusiasm. Just ashamed she couldn't command the weather!
In contrast, our other tour that wasn't with Dark Rome was awful. So when deciding who to book, make no mistake, Dark Rome all the way. You won't regret it. Enjoy!!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is my first visit to Rome and my highlight was the Vatican visit. The main reason for this wonderful Vatican experience was your tour (punctual, efficient, audio worked well) and your tour guide, Marta. I heard a lot of horror stories about Vatican tours but this Dark Rome tour with Marta was most pleasant. She was friendly, knowledgeable, homourous, informative and warm; and she remembered the names of each visitor. I could not think of a better guide really. Thank you Dark Rome and Thank you especially to Marta for this wonderful experience.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Tiffany was knowledgeable, friendly, and provided a great tour. She warmly introduced herself immediately upon our arrival and made the tour interactive and fun. We left feeling like we had had the experience we were hoping for at the Vatican. There is so much to see and learn about there and Tiffany expertly navigated us through the Vatican and we had a great time. I would definitely recommend this tour and Tiffany to any of my friends. Thanks Tiffany!

See more reviews
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Rafaella was a fabulous guide who knew everything there was to know about her city. This walking tour took us through the streets of Milan. Firstly we went into the Duomo where we were allowed to take photos, only because we were on a designated tour. We went "behind" the altar where the public are not normally allowed to go, and she showed us the intricacies there. Through the expensive and beautiful Galleria Vittoria Emanuele II and around La Scala Opera House and the Castello Sforza Rafaella brought the city and its history alive. However nothing prepared us for walking into see the Last Supper! We have all seen the pictures and the parodies, but we were absolutely blown away by this stunning masterpiece. Much bigger than we ever expected and more powerful than any other artwork we have seen, making the effort to have our 15 minutes in with it was a highlight of our trip to Italy.