“St. Peter's of Seafood”

Ristorante La Rosetta
Reserve with
Ristorante La Rosetta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,249 of 12,361 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: European, Italian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
San Francisco, California
“St. Peter's of Seafood”
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Ambiance - average, not at all in the range that the prices would suggest.
Service - very good, neither better nor worse than comparable restaurants.
Food - outstanding. We live in San Francisco (which has more than its share of fine restaurants), travel extensively, and are good cooks ourselves. As we walked away from La Rosetta last night we agreed it was the best seafood meal we have ever had.

My wife and I are spending the Christmas week in Rome with our children (20 & 17). I was looking for a restaurant to enjoy the traditional feast of the seven fishes on Christmas Eve, and came across La Rosetta. I was a bit put off by the requirement of paying a 400 euro deposit, but understand that some people are flakes. The place is small and was full, so a no-show would have mattered. The approach is inauspicious: a large neon sign reads "La Rosetta Trattoria." This place is as much a trattoria as St. Peter's is a country chapel.

I must admit that I only glanced at the menu, choosing instead to order the set menu and focus on my family. Appetizers appeared to be in the 20 euro range, pastas 40-60, and mains 50-70+. The set menu was 150 euros. Ordering that was absolutely the right call. We wanted 7 fishes, we got at least 22. The pacing was relaxed but not at all slow - 3 1/2 hours in total, with each delicious course following with perfect timing.

The wine list was extensive, and quite reasonably priced. The sommelier was not so impressive. He suggested one bottle as being perfect for the tasting menu. That seemed silly to me given the number and variety of courses expected, so I asked if he could recommend a less expensive bottle. He stumbled on that so I made some suggestions, which he simply validated. The bottles I selected were excellent (and less than half the cost of his recommendation), but I do have the sense that one could choose blind and get a decent pour.

The bill came in at 700 euros. As I often do when I don't expect to need cash I brought only my credit card and 20 euros. There was no facility to leave a tip on the credit card, so unfortunately I had to leave without one, but may stop back when they reopen after Christmas.

In sum, La Rosetta is expensive to be sure, but the extraordinary seafood justified the price.

2 Thank DevansSF

• Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Pristine seafood, but at a price.”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stumbled on this place when wandering around the Pantheon. It looked nice so we reserved for that night. I then read the reviews so was somewhat prepared.
My wife and I have eaten at dozens of Michelin starred restaurants since the '70's and have a good feeling for QP ratio. I have noticed that prices tend to be high if one is served pristine quality seafood, particularly in Japan. That said the prices here are just too high; this is not le Bernadin!
On the plus side the food is, in general, very good, the atmosphere most pleasant and the service excellent. The fresh seafood was outstanding; we had very good risotto but my main course of mullet filet with white truffles was only fair though very expensive. (I notice that everywhere one gets a lot less truffle than in the past) Dessert was outstanding ,5 little scoops of superb gelato each with a different mouthfeel and flavor.
There is extensive and interesting wine list particularly strong on Italian whites. We had a nice Verdicchio from Marche which did not cost an arm and leg.
Worth a visit if price is not a consideration.

• Visited November 2012
Fort Collins, Colorado
“13 years later the memory lingers”
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Wandering around the Pantheon deciding it was time for dinner, we happened upon La Rosetta. From the champagne put in front of us when we were seated, through the sea urchin given us to try, amazing delicately cooked fish, beautifully paired wine,to the mouth melting dessert and after dinner drink we felt pampered and royally fed. The chef talked with us and led us to his friends restaurant in Jerusalem, where we were living. It was another feast. We will visit Rome next fall and, once again, will go to La Rosetta. Yes, even then expensive but very good value

“Elegant, nice, tasteful !”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We visited Ristorante La Rosetta for the first time about 3 years ago upon our friend's suggestion. It was my husband's birthday so I wanted that dinner to be a special one. It was special since this place is unique in Rome with its seafood based menu. The owner and personnel are very warm and welcoming. Our second visit can be evaluated as the same, everything was great, taste is guaranteed, welcoming attitude of the personnel is a big plus.

• Visited October 2012
NYC - Harlem
“Rome's dinning gem.....”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We love to travel around the world and fine dining is at the top of our list. More importantly we love fine dining, service and decor. La Rosetta managed to handle all on our list. It's simply a "must have" dining in Rome. The service is right on point; attentive, not intrusive, very polite and well dressed. The food is divine!! We enjoyed the gavi and appetizers the chef sent over prior to ordering but this was simply a clip of what was yet to come. Our seafood for 2 included both raw and cooked seafood of tuna, prawns, calamari, lobster crab and grilled squid..... we also shared a shrimp and mushroom risotto that was like heaven..... everything was so fantastic and we just knew that this was the right spot for us. A 2008 Puille Fumé was a perfect paring with this meal that will not soon be forgotten. We decided to forgo the desert menu and had aperitifs in stead. Please add this to your top restaurants in Rome. We highly recommend La Rosetta and hope to return again soon.

• Visited October 2012

Been to Ristorante La Rosetta? Share your experiences!