“A restaurant reinventing itself”

Il Convivio Troiani
Reserve a table
Ranked #341 of 13,217 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ponte
Reviewed July 27, 2016

This was our third visit to Il Convivio spaced out over six or seven years. The first two were wonderful visits to a mostly traditional Michelin-star European restaurant. Wonderful service and food. This trip, it appears that Il Convivio is trying to change its image. The food was still very good and the service very attentive, but the menu was filled with gimmicky dishes that included a spraying of pine scent on a dessert described as "del bosque." It reminded us of meals eaten at Joia in Milan which did the same kind of thing, but with a little more comfort. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

2  Thank savta2007
Write a reviewReviews (744)

Reviewed July 23, 2016 via mobile

The staff gave us an unforgettable experience with the best of service accompanied with world class food and wine. We had the full menue with the wine pairing. For aperitiff they opened a bottle of a very oaky and good Chardoney on our request. A three with potato chips was a smart and tasty decoration. The waiters were professional and friendly which added a perfect atmosphere to our meal. The Chef/ owner came to talk to us towards the end of the meal.

1  Thank 554olah
Reviewed July 10, 2016

My husband and I dined at Il Convivo on Friday evening. Concierge had recommended it as an alternative to a 3 star restaurant that was fully booked. Whilst we both very much enjoyed the food, the evening was spoilt by the behavior of the sommelier. Looking through previous reviews, this seems to be the only consistent complaint or annoyance from diners at this restaurant. Such a shame!

The restaurant was very accommodating of my gluten allergy and offered plenty of options. The rabbit was the best I have had for a long time. The additional dish that was sent to the table by way of apology for the sommelier's actions was also wonderful - mackerel with burrata and figs.

Unfortunately for us the sommelier was just not of the standard an establishment such as this should offer. The wine list is vast. When we asked for his recommendations, he didn't engage us in any conversation about what we liked usually, what we were going to order to eat, nothing about what we wanted from our wine. Rather he only wanted to know how much we wanted to spend and what grape we wanted. Well frankly, this isn't a recommendation, we can read a wine list and pick a price point from those listed. There was no discussion or comparisons given. Finally, we chose ourselves whilst he hovered and made grumping noises and he then brought the wine to the table. Whereupon he managed to break the cork and cork entered the bottle. Now, at this point I would have expected a sommelier to have removed the wine from the table to filter it and decant it. Instead, he poured it regardless making no attempt to stop cork entering the glass. When we pointed out that there was quite a lot of cork floating in both of our glasses he became rude and aggressive. He demanded to know why we thought this was a problem and what we wanted him to do! He then poured the wine from one glass to another, over the white table cloth and across me, dripping wine all over the cloth - narrowly missing my dress. Still no apologies.. Just "are you satisfied now". When my husband pointed out that there was now wine everywhere, again we were met with rude response and inaction. I was quite upset at the attitude and the "scene" that he was making, drawing attention to us and at such an early stage in the evening. I would like to make clear that at no point had we asked for a new bottle or even intimated this, as there was nothing wrong with the wine itself, but it takes no time to strain and decant! Eventually I excused myself from the table and motioned to the mat're d that I wanted a word. I asked for the sommelier to be removed from our table and for someone else to take over. Even he couldn't understand why the wine had not been filtered. Eventually we were able to continue our meal with a decanted bottle and a clean table covering over the split wine. In an establishment with food of the quality it has, I would really expect a sommelier to be better versed in (a) making a good recommendation suited to the palette of his customers and menu choices and (b) acting appropriately when these occasionally "tricky" moments arise.

The other staff in the restaurant were apologetic of the incident but really, they should not have to make up for his behavior. So unfortunate.

Reviewed July 6, 2016

Amazing restaurant! The dishes are made so wonderfully and put together with such grace! Everything you eat looks like a work of art and tastes absolutely declicious. Unique, and one of a kind, I would definitely go back! Try the "In the Woods" dessert - gorgeous and soooo delicious!

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed July 3, 2016

Simple, yet elegant interior to this restaurant. Food was beautifully prepared and service was polite. Thoughtful wine list and helpful sommelier. Great flavor profiles and savory dishes presented throughout the evening. Would definitely return.

Date of visit: May 2016