“Good restaurant but way overpriced”

Il Convivio Troiani
Reserve with
Il Convivio Troiani is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #745 of 12,875 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We picked this restaurant on our first day in Rome expecting a fine gastronomical evening. We were quite disappointed especially considering a very heavy bill we paid. If it was not for their great service, I would give this restaurant an average rating. The service was truly attentive and professional. But the food was not up to high standard. There were attempts at interesting combinations, but the execution was disappointing, may be it was not the chef's night.... The wine list is impressive, and the wine we picked was nice by itself. But it was not a good match to our selected dishes, a good sommelier should have pointed this out! We felt that we paid way too much for what we got.

1  Thank Tuchka

Reviewed February 20, 2013

In general, I thought this was a good restaurant, but I suspect that locals in Rome have figured out that better food is available at more reasonable prices elsewhere. There wasn't an Italian in the restaurant on the night I had dinner. Having said that, our food was fresh, tasted good and was beautifully presented, especially the Raw Fish Passion - which was excellent. My disappointment was with knowledge and service in relation to my wine selection. The list is massive, running to 150 pages - way too big to digest, at least if you want to pay attention to your dinner guest. I asked for help, giving a generous budget and a briefing that I wanted a Brunello, from a small producer, aged, lighter in style, etc etc. Despite my appeal for help, I was pretty much left to pick myself from the 5 pages of Brunello's, not really knowing what I was doing. I was left thinking that either the sommelier didn't know his wines well, or he just couldn't be bothered helping me.

1  Thank Andrew T
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We are wine lovers and were attracted to this restaurant, just around the corner from the Piazza Novona because of its wine list. What we were surprised with was the quality of the food, especially the fresh seafood. Very attentive and friendly, English speaking staff, efficient service, good décor and a really fun evening all around. Definitely a place to go!!

we found other Trip Advisor recommendations really not good but this was a super place.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

The food and wine were divine. Both had great variety and there was plenty of traditional cuisine as well as local wine. The staff were exceptional in both attendance as well as friendly manner. Can't wait to go back one day.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

The food was fabulous but the service was ever better. We got here when they opened and they were wonderfully helpful in explaining the menu items and in selecting a wine. The wine steward had no problem with my setting an upper price limit for his recommendations and the wine we had was outstanding. This place is quite expensive ($100+ per person plus wine) but we knew that ahead of time and enjoyed over two hours of great food and service. The location is north of Piazza Navona on a difficult to find street (more of an alley) and we were glad our taxi driver knew how to get there.