“Ex-pat Paradise in Rome”
Review of Harry's Bar

Harry's Bar
Reserve with
Harry's Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,716 of 13,101 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ludovisi / Via Veneto
Description: In order to write the story of this cafe we should get to meet every person who has gone to it, or most of them. Certainly each one of them would have a bit of story kept in the casket of their memories. Memories of unforgettable moment, but above all of a bit of history which has helped our Country to be born again. It was the Sixties and our bar proudly represented the meeting place of the " By nigth " Rome, of the " Dolce vita " (Sweet life), the place where riotous loves were born, where never revealed agreements were signed, were everything was familiar ... This was Harry's Bar. In the hearts of the ones who patronenized it, it never died, despite the hard times. Harry's Bar Rome was born in 1959, took its name only in 1962 but the cafe existed since 1918. It was the Golden Gate Confectioner's, quoted in many books. At the end of the Twenties it became part of the De Gasperis' family until 1958, the very year it cake to be American Bar Restaurant. Today the cafe shines in its Boisseirie, and in its plasters, more then 35 years old, of late renovated, the same feel you got in those years. He who doesn't know Harry's Bar Rome, has now good reason to go and see it. Legendary Harry's Bar is the unique place that evokes tbc "Dolce Vita' as if it were a clip from the film, creating a vivid flashback to the golden era of the Via Veneto, when Frank Sinatra sang at the piano and all the stars made their appearance in this bar/restaurant full of glamour and style. As in the roaring sixties, you can still sip an aperitif, enjoy the live piano bar every evening and dive into tbc magic of the Via Veneto from the exclusive and fascinating Harry's Bar. The refined cuisine recalls the freshness of Mediterranean flavours based on prime ingredients. Tradition and fantasy inspire the elegant dishes of the menu, accompanied by the most prestigious labels and a high class service.
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Sure, it's overpriced, yes, it is unabashedly a bit of a tourist trap, but come on -- it's Harry's Bar! Had a vodka tonic while my husband sipped on a dry martini, and we half expected Audrey or another glitterati to appear. Didn't happen, but we had fun. This is a quintessential Roman experience for those who are definitely of a certain age.

1  Thank Lauriegirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,235)

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had lunch after an exhausting walk to colosseum and palatine and back so were ready for a light lunch. Two excellent salads, two classes of wine and water ran u 84€. So if you looking for a cheap meal go elsewhere but if an excellent meal in a cool atmosphere is you thing....this is the place

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Unbelievably bad on all fronts.
My husband and I were looking forward to lunch there. We were casually dressed, in sneakers but ready to be impressed. *Usually* great service excuses somewhat mediocre food. But here, horrible service matched the horrible food.
I was put off immediately when we were seated. (upstairs). I was tightly wedged into my corner so I turned around and moved the chair behind me one inch. (the table was unoccupied). Our server promptly moved the chair back to its original position muttering under his breath with his artificial smile. Nevertheless, we ordered our app- the beef carpaccio- beyond bad- and covered with what looked and tasted like a mayonaisse sauce. You don't need to be a foodie to know this was horribly prepared. It was so bad that we decided not to eat our lunch there.

To make things worse, our server cleared our table prior to giving us the bill, and proceeded to set a new tablecloth and setting - all this even though nobody was waiting to be seated. Who does this?

I was pretty outraged. Don't treat me this way when I am spending money in your establishment. Was it the way we were dressed? Perhaps we didn't look "wealthy" to our fair server- hence the horrendous treatment. I left my jewels and fancy watch at home in the US. Didn't think it wise to travel to Rome dressed in my bling.

My husband is one of the highest paid chefs in the US. I'm the daughter of the CEO of a major Korean company, and a cardiologist with my own practice. Perhaps the treatment would have been better had I announced this as we were seated. (not my style). Perhaps, I should have shown our fair server a copy of our bank account balance and assets. Maybe, just MAYBE then, he would have treated us decently.

How unfortunate. We had money to burn at this place- and would have happily done so. We chose to take our money somewhere it would be appreciated.

To our server at Harry's- yes you, with the glasses: you never know who you are waiting on. Remember your place, dude. Good luck with your waiter career. I'm sure you will go far.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We went there after a very mediocre dinner at Piazza Navona. Harry's bar was in a completely different league. Staff was very friendly, good drink selection, excellent live music (piano plus a lady singer), nicely dressed aging cavaliere with attractive young companions. You are almost expecting Sophia Loren or Claudia Cardinale to step in on the side of Mastroianni. Dolce vita feeling. It is out of the way, but worth going there, it is a different Rome than what you experience roving the tourist sites. Accross the street from Marriott hotel.

1  Thank turpi
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Of all the fabulous places to dine and Rome, my son and I unfortunately stumbled into Harry's due it's location and outdoor seating. Our bill was 74 euro for two appetizers, a glass of wine and a glass of milk. We went on to have a fabulous dinner two blocks away at a restaurant that was authentically Italian in its ambiance and cuisine for half the price! I can not stress enough STAY AWAY! This is a tourist trap for those who have more money than they know what to do with and very little sense.