Al Pantheon con Thomas Mann
Orbitz.com
$363
$264
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsplenty of hot waterlate at nightvia del corsopiazza navonapastries
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 13, 2010

However imagine having the Pantheon in your front yard. Words can not express the awe I felt by stepping out the front door early in the morning and there it is, the Piazza Pantheon! I virtually had the place to myself. A handful of merchants were there preparing for their day, but no tourists. Then in the evening my wife and I sat by the fountain with a bottle of wine, not having to worry about a bus or taxi. Okay, so our room was plain, no window, no B&B host... but who cares! You're in Rome! Who wants to hang out in your room? The place was clean, the staff accommodating (when there), and the place was a bargain. Everything was certainly not great, but not bad either.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ray B
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I stayed five nights in the end of june,2010. I got tips from the staff about what to do/places to visit. There is no reception -you have to call the staff and they will show up to meet you. The rooms are ok. You will be living 50 metres from a hotel that charges 250-300 euros for the night. I payed 70 euros for the night in this place. I didn´t spen much time in the house - I was out touring rome - and the location could not have been better. -By the way, visit the town Tivoli 30 kilometers outside Rome and the Villa dÈste, it was absolutely beautiful...

Hope you have a nice stay in Rome.
/Thomas from Sweden

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Styrsothomas
Reviewed June 27, 2010

I stayed here during mid-June of 2010. I know alot of people will stay here at Al Pantheon con Thomas Mann regardless of what is written because of the great location, but I'll just relay my experience and the reader can weigh for themselves how they want to proceed.

When we arrived, we expected to pay by credit card because the online confirmation emails explicitly stated we could pay by credit card if we presented a copy of the front and back of our credit card we could use credit card (my husband and I didn't want to carry around too much cash). However, upon arrival, the woman (who was pleasant enough) informed us we could only pay by cash only. I showed her the document stating we could use credit card but she shook her head and said cash only. Okay, but then she informed us our air-conditioning was broken in our room and the other rooms with working AC's were already taken. Okay... the temperature was over 85 degrees F and over 90% humidity, but no alternative or solution (or fan) was offered. She quickly left without offering any help or advice on sights in Rome. And then we returned to our room the following day and nothing was serviced - no made bed, no emptied trash, nothing. Okay...

Breakfast was fair, but a potential sugar bomb. This was not a big deal since we had prepared ourselves from previous TA reviews.

The location is excellent and the price is lower than average for this area. If you can handle a bait and switch like not being able to pay the method that was promised in the confirmation email and possibly risking over 90 degree weather and high humidity with no AC... and of course no room maintenance, then go ahead. In my opinion there are far better places to stay for comparable prices just a short bus/metro ride away. I would not recommend people to stay here. There is enough to see, do, and deal with in Rome without wondering if you'll be able to sleep at night due to hot weather. Rome is intense and our two nights spent here were frustrating and stressful at times and certainly did not contribute to any good memories!

I recommend enjoying your vacation instead of enduring potential stressors! Try Al Colonnato di San Pietro - they are super close to the Vatican (about a 5 minute walk to St Peter's), only a 5-10 minute bus ride to the Pantheon, a 15-20 minute bus ride to the Coliseum, AND their rooms, service, breakfast, and attention to guests is incredibly good.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Overall our stay there wasn't half bad. However, what bothered me was the lack of repect the empoyees showed to the customers. At first,they didn't have the room we had booked, and put us in a two room apartment without AC, when outside were at least 35 degress Celsius.
They let us stay there for two days. I say 'let' because they didn't ask us whether we wanted to move or not. We had already opened all the luggage and, obviously, we had to pack it all back and move to another room, clearly losing an entire day when we should have visited Rome.
The rooms themselves were nice, and putting aside my discontentment with their attitude, we had a good time.
Another thing that bothered me was the breakfast. We could have breakfast in the first two or three days, because I suppose they felt guilty or something for giving us a room without AC. However, after they moved us, we were told we could no longer have breakfast because we had a kitchen in the room. This in itself would not have bothered me, because I prefered being able too cook my own brakfast rather than eating whatever they gave me, but it was again, the annoying attidute the one that bothered me.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Bad: the worst ever bed mattress I've ever seen, absolutely uncomfortable to sleep.
Room was tiny and not clean; very hectic checkin; even though we specified our time of arrival and were on time.

Good: Location, Location, Location.

In general would try to avoid this place, though it has excellent location

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple