Jewish Roma Private Walking Tours
Review Highlights
Excellent Jewish Rome Walking Tour

We took a tour of the Rome synagogue and the Jewish quarters with Micaela on 25 October 2018 after... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Jacob G
Terrific tour of Jewish Rome.

We were in Rome in October and booked a walking tour with Jewish Roma. Yael was an enthusiastic... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Journey648608

All reviews great synagogue ghetto tour micaela pavoncello ghetto area personal stories family history highlight of our trip past and present wonderful tour highly recommend this tour learned a great deal three hours trip to rome come alive hour tour ancient rome informative tour
Reviewed November 17, 2014

If I am going to go on a private tour, the question I ask is "did I learn or experience something that I couldn't have done on my own?" The answer here is yes, absolutely yes. From Sara, the tour guide, I learned not only the history of the Jews in Rome, example, Jews have lived in Rome since the second century BC or the expulsion of Jews from Sicily in 1493 that ended up living in Rome, but also on a very personal level. How her grandparents survived the Nazis, the garage where they hid, the fountain where the women washed their clothes and caught up on the latest gossip. The personal connection to hundreds of years of history, and a unique history, made this a very special tour. Sara greeting many people along the trip, knowing, well seemingly just about everyone. She showed up the Jewish school she went to and her children now go to. Her perspective on being in an Orthodox environment as a less observant Jew, a common occurrence. You will see parts of the Jewish museum that aren't usually available or open. And the synagogue was beautiful and that day, there was wedding too. Even if you are not Jewish but simply interested in history, the focus on one group and its interaction with Rome and history itself makes it very worthwhile time.

1  Thank DianaID19
Reviewed November 14, 2014

I am adding my voice to the chorus in favor of doing this tour. Yes, it is expensive and yes, I considered skipping it. In the end, I preferred to chance overspending rather than miss out on a rare opportunity. Who knows when I will return to Rome? It was the right choice. My daughter and I had a private tour of the old Jewish Ghetto area/current hub of the vibrant Jewish community with Sara. The information and stories she shared were well timed with the places we saw on the tour. The area is only a few square blocks, but is so rich with history tucked into nooks and crannies that the unguided eye would miss. Sara's personal touch added depth of flavor to this experience. This was food for my Jewish soul.
Money well spent and no regrets!

Reviewed November 13, 2014

It was a pleasure arranging our tour with Jewish Roma Tours. Our guide Sara was a very personable, enthusiastic young woman with a wealth of knowledge about the history of the Jews in Rome and Jewish life now. She incorporated some personal stories as well which made it even more interesting. We thoroughly enjoyed our tour and recommend this company to anyone wanting to learn about Jewish life in Rome.

Reviewed November 3, 2014

We heard Rick Steves talk about this tour and some friends of ours recommended it to us so we included it in our plans. I dealt with Giorgia in booking and she even was able to arrange our transfer from the Cruise ship port to our hotel so we could get to the tour without wasting a half day.Very helpful. Our guide Micol was vivacious,knowledgable and passionate about her Roman Jewish community and its history.She was totally engaging.The synagogue and museum were very impressive, but seeing them by ourselves would not have been close to the same experience. Micol's personal stories about her family and the history of her community were the highlights of this tour.And don't think of visiting the ghetto without sticking around for a meal with deep fried artichokes at one of the kosher restaurants.

1  Thank BLCMMC
Reviewed November 2, 2014

We booked 2 different Jewish Walking tours in Rome with JewishRoma tours. Each of them was fantastic, and we would highly recommend them both. Despite what seems to be an expensive fee for these tours, the tours were incredible, and worth every penny. There is no technological replacement (IPad, book etc.) for the personal connection, and were feel very fortunate that our guides were fantastic.

Our guide Daniela met us at the appointed spot across the street from the entrance to the Vatican Museum. She was very friendly, prompt, and warm, ensuring that our group got to know one another quickly. Daniela is an incredibly enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide. She led us through the Vatican Museum with ease, and clearly, was able to offer us a look at the special items of interest that were historically important to Jews in Rome and elsewhere, as well as the historical context of Jews in Italy over the centuries. Daniela is a marvelous guide and teacher. Her knowledge of artists, paintings and sculpture in every place we visited, including the Sistine Chapel, is extensive, and she was able to easily communicate this to the participants of the group. Daniela welcomed questions and answered them with humour, and with confidence. It was a pleasure to spend the three hours with a talented and committed guide.