“Great tour of Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museum”

Through Eternity Cultural Association
Book In Advance
More Info
$61.37*
and up
Secrets of Rome: From the Capitol Hill to Castel...
Ranked #46 of 851 Tours in Rome
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Through Eternity is a tour company in Italy that provides insightful guidance and commentary on historical and artistic sights, both well known and off the beaten track. The company has been providing exceptionally high quality cultural tourism since 1999. Our guides are all highly educated, fluent English-speaking professionals who bring history alive and provide deep cultural context. The company provides tours and excursions in Rome, Florence, Pompeii, Naples, Siena, Tivoli and San Gimigano. All Through Eternity's back-office staff are native English speakers.
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We booked a semi-private tour of the Sistine chapel and Vatican museums. The tour group was 4 people and our tour guide was Eugenia. She had an incredible knowledge of art history and was able to swiftly guide us to the important pieces in the museum and explain why they were important. Excellent tour guide! Getting into the Sistine Chapel at 8AM before all of the crowds is amazing. It allowed for time to sit and view the ceiling and walls from many different angles. Bottom line is that the cost for the semi-private tour was definitely worth it and I highly recommend this tour.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,124)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"his knowledge"
in 86 reviews

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We found our tour of the Vatican to be a great learning experience and opportunity to view and appreciate the important and beautiful works of art. Federica was knowledgable and made the tour interesting and helped us to appreciate the fine works of art.
Millie & Frank Conway

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was my second Vatican tour (short, 3.5 hrs). I booked this tour through the USO Rome and shortly found out that the cruise ships arrive on Wednesdays and really wished that I chose the 0900 tour (which was sold out) instead of the 1300 tour.
Eugenia D'Andrea was a fantastic tour guide, young - but extremely knowledgeable and filled with details, very motivated - I respect him a lot.
Having taken a Vatican/Ancient City tour in November, I recommend waiting until the off season, the Vatican was wall-to-wall people and if it weren't for our excellent tour guide, I would not have enjoyed it the second time around.
He kept our rather smaller group out of the way of the seemingly larger cruise ship groups, patiently waited for everyone to catch up, and spent more time on areas that other groups only just touched upon, giving us more details and a better appreciation for the history.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I took a couple of tours with Through Eternity when we were in Rome in May and we really enjoyed them.

The first tour we took was The Ancient City In-Depth Experience with Luca De Angelis. Luca met us right on time in the morning near the Colosseum where we were surprised and happy to find out that our group tour had turned into a very intimate and nearly private tour of just 4 people including our guide. We were then led on an extensive and very informative tour of the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill. Luca is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the ancient history of Rome and has even participated in digs at this very site as an archaeologist. You couldn't ask for a better person to teach you about ancient history during a nice sunny afternoon in Rome. We were then taken for a nice lunch at a local cafe and afterwards we finished our tour with a visit to the Colosseum. If you're going to visit these places when you're in Rome you will miss out on the full experience if you don't take a tour with Luca!

The second tour we took was Vatican Museums and St. Peter's - In-depth Experience with Giovanni Vergineo. This tour started right on time with a meeting close to the Vatican City. We then had a short and pleasant walk to the Vatican where Giovanni quickly got everyone in the group set up with a wireless earpiece so that we'd be able to easily hear him as we toured the museum. We then bypassed the huge line to get in and started our tour in the part of the Vatican Museum that house their collection of fantastic paintings. Giovanni led us through the progression of artistic style in religious imagery from the early middle ages to the work of the great masters during the renaissance. It was very interesting and informative. We then saw a portion of the sculpture collection but then had to leave early as my wife wasn't feeling well. We missed out on the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica, but we'll be sure to take another Vatican tour with Through Eternity the next time we're in Rome to make up for it. If you want to see the Vatican you need to take this tour with Giovanni. If offers extremely good value for money and is far more comprehensive than the average tour.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My mother and sister and I did the in-depth tour of the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill with Through Eternity. At first we were apprehensive because we originally would have preferred the 3 hour tour of these sites rather than the "in-depth" 6 hour tour, however I would HIGHLY recommend anyone with a day in Rome to do the full in-depth tour because the sites are beautiful and our guide (Eugenia D'Andrea) made the day pass very quickly. Her insight into the history and cultural significance of these sites was impressive and full of interesting and often hilarious anecdotes about both the sites and historical figures that once filled them. She was very kind, patient, and organized, and like I said, made 6 hours pass very quickly. I think we would have missed out if we had done only 3 hours. This tour was definitely worth the money and time, and I would highly recommend it. (On a side-note, we spoke with 2 other groups of travelers in Italy who did this tour and though we all had different guides, all of our experiences were phenomenal).

1  Thank Jack C