“Great little hotel for a short getaway”
Review of Hotel Latinum

Hotel Latinum
Ranked #607 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Hotel Latinum was the perfect little hotel. The staff were always friendly and extremely helpful with directions, recommendations and even looked up train and bus times to areas outside of rome for us. They even gave us a free little bottle of sparkling wine after we drank the one from the mini fridge and left it on the bode for us with 2 champagne flutes.
The room was extremely clean and had everything you would need for a short stay. The breakfast was typical Italian - pastries, bread rolls, ham, cheese and jams, and cereals, and totally delicious (my personal favourite was the custard stuffed croissant -yum!). We never had to wait or queue for a table and went down for bfast at various times throughout the week. Delicious coffee to start the morning with. The hotel was only a 10 min walk from the colosseum which was great for our first day, and only 5 mins from the nearest metro station. Some other reviewers have said the area was a bit dodgy but we (2 women) felt perfectly comfortable there at night. We also found that the street noise is nowhere near as bad as people have said! The windows are very effective at keeping the noise out.
Overall we had a fantastic time and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Good location however a bit of traffic noise at night (between 2 hospitals, ambulance sirens frequent). Rooms were clean and staff were helpful. Yolanda spoke very good English and was very helpful. Lovely little restaurant on corner opposite.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Nenenbill
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Chose this hotel because it was the only 4 star I could find which was within walking distance of city centre, but didn't cost £300 a night and had reasonable reviews.

When approaching the hotel I was a bit dubious because the surrounding streets seemed a bit rough however upon entering the hotel lobby I was pleasantly surprised. Very smart, clean and the greeting by the receptionist was friendly and welcoming. Our room was a good size, although ensuite didn't have a bath but I think this is fairly standard these days. I sent an email to the hotel 12 hours before check-in asking for them to get me some flowers and chocolates for the room, this was no problem and my partner thought it was fabulous on arrival.

Now the bits that weren't quite perfect - the bed was in my opinion very uncomfortable, hard and could feel the springs. My partner didn't mind as much but I did wake up aching quite a bit. Secondly, take earplugs! The city is very noisy with hooting trams and drivers that are absolutely crazy. This was really my first city break so maybe it's just that I'm not used to the city life. The hotel is about 1 mile walk to any of the tourist spots or the central termini. We were warned by receptionist not to make the walk after dark as the area can be bit dangerous for tourists. I think most of the city is like that. We used the metro which was only a short walk from the hotel. Finally, the receptionist on checkout (different to check-in) was a bit abrupt. He wanted our final payment of 57 euros (for flowers and room tax) to be made with cash. As it was our last day I didn't have that much left. Eventually I persuaded him to take my credit card, but then he didn't seem to know how to operate the card machine. I had to show him...I'd say this is fairly basic stuff for a hotel receptionist?!

Any way, over all we were pleased and we had a nice stay in Rome, I will use this hotel again when on a lower budget.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a lovely hotel to base in for Rome, a quick taxi ride from Termini and close to the underground stations.

Rooms are well appointed, clean and modern. Breakfast is slightly disappointing, you have to queue for a table and it doesn't have the best assortment!

Apart from that it's great.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shielseey
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Latinum for 3 nights whilst we explored Rome. The room was a very good size for a city hotel (No:11) with a lovely bathroom (although the shower rose could do with a little de-scaling to make changing easier between fine and deluge states!). The staff were absolutely excellent and nothing was too much trouble from directions to storing our bags (we arrived early on the first day and left late on the fourth day). The roof top terrace was nice to watch the traffic from (quite a Rome "sport"). Near the tram lines and on a roundabout so a little noisy but not too bad at night. All the known sights were walking distance (Coliseum 30 minutes) if you are keen walkers like us (and you see so much more!) but trams and buses are nearby. Breakfast was good and meant we didn't need to stop for lunch (although we did - well Italian food!). Lovely hotel ideal for a short break - I would recommend.

Room Tip: Side rooms and higher up would be best!
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed in Hotel Latinum for two nights whilst exploring Rome, and really enjoyed our stay. The staff were remarkably helpful and gave advice on visiting Rome. The bedroom was very modern and pleasant, though we found the bed a bit too firm for us. Air-con worked beautifully and was a relief after the humidity when we visited. Bathroom was very modern and relatively spacious.

the hotel is situated on a very busy junction, which can mean it's quite noisy even at night, but does mean its only few meters from the tram stop. We walked to the Termi a couple time which took us about 25mins, so only recommended for keen walkers, and not recommended for ladies on thier own at night as some of the area is a little bit rougher.

Breakfast was pretty good, and the hotel will let you leave your bags with them for free the morning you check out if you still want to see more sights.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed here for one night with friends. You need a taxi or tram to reach the hotel from the Termini. The hotel faces a bury traffic junction and in the day-time is a hive of activity during the day but dead as a Dodo at night. I did not feel comfortable walking in this area at night.
The hotel is quite small and lacks atmosphere. Breakfast is typical ‘continental style’ and there is not much choice. The dining area is very small seating only 10 people and is like eating in church, everyone was very quiet and self conscious that they would be overheard by the rest of the guests.
I can find nothing bad to say about this hotel and the most positive thing was the reception staff who were very helpful and tried to make the stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends