“Great location, helpful staff and budget hotel”

Bed & Breakfast Maggiore
Ranked #2,788 of 3,669 Rome B&B and Inns
Thessaloníki, Thessaloniki, Greece
“Great location, helpful staff and budget hotel”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I travelled to Rome in March 2012 and I had a really nice experience at B&B Maggiore. The location is central only 5-7 minutes walk from Termini Station where the metro, train and bus lines are. Also there are the bus lines to the airports of Rome. It is somehow difficult to find the hotel because it is on a floor of an old building. To help you it is opposite the cathedral Santa Maria Maggiore. It has no breakfast (although it is a B&B) but the receptionist told us that we could have free Wi-Fi internet (so ask for the password the very first moment) even if there was no such thing in the description of the hotel. Furthermore, very good price for the quality offered. I mean if you search a central hotel with basic provides and relatively cheap (double room 49€ per night) the B&B Maggiore is ideal for you. Not suitable for people who want luxury and view from a balcony because there is no balcony!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iphigeneia K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
everywhere
Reviewed December 15, 2011

The Maggiore is conveniently located about 5 minutes to the main train station. Walking distance to the Colisseum and other sites. As per the other reviews, the traditional service was not typical. The linens and towels are not changed daily and there is an additional charge of 5 euros to change them prior to 4 days. The area I felt was safe and the rooms were very clean and actually ours was spacious. The hotel clerk was Iranian with a pretty good grasp of english and was actually quite helpful. Dont look for room service or even breakfast but this is a good place to rest your body while you banzai all over Rome.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blueskydreams
mumbai
Reviewed June 5, 2011

My husband and I stayed at B&B Maggiore in May for two nights. I had booked directly on their website. I had also re-confirmed my booking and informed them of my arrival time for check in, to which i did not get a reply until i put in three mails. All they said was the booking was confirmed. Hence i safely assumed that i could check in at the time i mentioned. We were to arrive at the B&B by 11 a.m. which was definitely in their published office hours. But once we reached the place we were in for a shock as the attendant there, who could barely speak English informed us that check in would happen only by 2 p.m. This is not what you want to hear when you are tired after a 10 hour overnight flight!! Also all this, after your credit card has been charged the full amount 5 days before your arrival without any notification whatsoever.
However after much requesting he gave us a room for some time to freshen up.
We managed to spend a few hours in the city and got back at 2 pm. This time, there was another guy who could speak better English. He was quite helpful. He showed us to our room which was in another building about 5 minutes away. The room was extremely small with barely any space to move around. It was a basic room, however it was very clean. Since we were in a hurry to catch up for our Colosseum tour, he said he would get our luggage transferred to this place from the main building. That was helpful.
So all in all this place felt short of expectations, as it had been suggested to me by a friend who had stayed here earlier. The only positive point is the location.
One more thing: though their published rate includes all taxes, you will be made to pay some city tax of 2 euros per person per night at the time of check in. Also note: though it is a B&B they do not serve breakfast!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank samedha
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Last week I spent 4 nights with two friends at BB Maggiore...Even though the place is nice and has a good location, the service is the worst I have ever experienced in my life. The owner was very rude, and made us feel as if we had to thank him to let us stay at his hotel. We had done the reservation since more than one month and a half ago. Part of the reservation was made through another web page and other days were done directly. I confirmed the reservation with him a week before the stay, and he asked the time that we were going to be arriving. I wrote that we would be arriving arround 10:00 pm. He never answered. One day before arriving I called anyways to make sure that everything was ok. but he said the reception closes at 7pm! So he charged me 10 more Euros for sending someone to open. When we got there, he charged 20 Euros, and 2 additional euros per person, per day, as a tax (which we were sure we had already paid). He also had charged from our credit card all the reservation for 4 days, without sending a notification. When I tried to ask him why he had raised the amount, he answered very rude, that the road was in front of the building and If I wanted I could take my luggage and find another place. It was already 10:30 pm, in a city I had never visited. And also, he had already charged all the 4 nights. We stayed, but we only had problems with him and his assistant. They also charge 5 euros every time you want your towels to be washed before 4 days. We felt robbed! The place is not worth it!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Jennycptr

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed March 13, 2011

I had a really bad experience with this hotel , or better said HOSTEL. I think they are missing the "S".

First of all, quality of service. Reception schedule is only from 9.30 AM to maximum 4.00 PM. If something happens outside these hours and you need assistance, there is nobody you can contact. The stuff is totally unfriendly and didn't help us at all to solve the room problems. They simply didn't care and didn 't solve our problems for one week.

Then, the biggest problem: the heating does not exist, because the owners want to save it! We spent more than 1 week there in the cold. Actually, it was better outside, as it was sunny,. When we asked, we were told that we can have heat only in the night, between certain hours.

The services presented on the site are not entirely true. I haven';t seen any ironing board there. Then, there is a very small TV and a small fridge, which usually do not work. They are just decorating the room.

For the location, is closed to Termini, a very good place for public transport, but the incovenient is that it is close to the railstation and it is dangerous.. Pay attention when you go out at late hours inn the night.

All in all, I do not recommend this hotel and I will never get back there,.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kris_kris7
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Location is excellent, close to all Rome attractions and to the transportation network. The neighborhood is also wonderful, with via Cavour leading to the Colosseum and via Merulana (with its wonderful La Panella Bakery) leading to San Giovanni in Laterano. Service was excellent, I needed to leave my luggage and had no problem retrieving it later to leave for Termini Station. The owner is very friendly and helped us with everything we needed. The Internet is fast and was available in my room, even though I understand is not available in all rooms, but is available in the common area. There is some noise coming from a pub and the bells from Santa Maria Maggiore, but nothing that prevented me from sleeping even though I am a very light sleeper. I would highly recommend it and will stay again the next time I am in Rome.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Aydin, Turkey
Reviewed February 12, 2011

A very good location just 5 minutes to termini, walking distance to Collosea, very clean and new decorated comfrtable room and a very friendly good speaking English staff, but it is in the 1 st floor side b in an old building, a good, safe and clean budget Hotel

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family