WRH Trastevere
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Residenza San Calisto(Rome)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
All reviewsb bgreat neighborhoodbars and restaurantsfirst floorvisiting romeperfect locationmain roadgreat roomair conditioningcentral romecroissantsboutique hotellaptoptrasteveretramluigicornetto
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 28, 2008

What a gem!!

Ingrid | December 2008

On my third visit to the stunning eternal city of Rome & my mother’s first, I spent many hours in search of the hotel which felt right for us. I am quite picky however was not after a 5 star property this time. Although we wanted to be central, we weren’t after being in the heart of the touristic areas of the city, which sometimes tend to diminish its charm. I found a gem named wrh-trastevere, which is a converted apartment in an old block located in Trastevere, which is a stone throw away from the river and a 15 minute stroll from the city centre [the first landmark being the gorgeous Campo de Fiori]. The place has been renovated up to very high specifications, giving it a warm, contemporary feel. We absolutely loved it and what we loved even more is the hospitality received by the owners – Alessandro, Maria and Francesco!! W E L L D O N E guys
and T H A N K Y O U!!

We arrived at the hotel at about 1030hrs am and found Alessandro to greet us. He offered us an espresso, talked us through the map of the city, suggested a couple of typical restaurants in the area – made us feel very comfortable and welcome! Although we had been informed we would not be able to check in before 1400hrs, our room was ready by 1130hrs. This doesn’t happen often in hotels especially when they’re running at full occupancy so this was an added bonus!! The room was exactly as the photos & description on the website so no surprises there. The idea of placing wifi enabled laptops in the rooms is brilliant!! The bathroom was lovely with hot running water at all times, excellent power shower & toiletries topped up daily. Always impeccably clean as was the bedroom. I must say my biggest fear must have been the beds however both the mattress and pillows were very comfortable and the duvets very warm and cosy. The constant air conditioning contributed towards our comfort and warmth in the room and lounge area. Oh and there is also a bowl of sweets which is refilled every day ;) !! They really have thought of every little detail!! Even though the reception is not manned 24 hours a day, Alessandro, Maria and Fabrizio leave a note in the room and in the reception detailing their contact numbers in case of emergencies. As they live close by, there is no reason to be preoccupied. The area and apartment block are very safe and we never felt threatened!

In the reception area there are a few tables and chairs and a kitchenette with an espresso machine, kettle, hob, fridge – all at one’s disposal. It’s a lovely little lounge area where one can help himself to the delicious Italian coffee [on tap - another plus point] or make himself a cup of tea whilst reading one of the many magazines, books or guides on Rome made available by the owners. There are also facilities to cook yourself a meal, but with all the local restaurants of Trastevere serving typical Roman specialities, it would be rude to do so! Even though the facilities are available, breakfast is not served at wrh itself, however you are given vouchers to be exchanged at a typical Italian Bar called Bar Lelli, which is just across the road from the hotel on the beautiful tree lined Viale Trastevere. An excellent start to your day with traditional Italian cappuccino or espresso, juice and a fresh [cornetto] croissant. My personal favourite was the chocolate one – mmm divine!! The service at Bar Lelli was excellent too and the gentlemen who worked there would recognise us every morning and also remembered that I drank my cappuccino without cocoa on top from the start!

I must say I was quite sad to leave wrh-trastevere however I certainly will be back and am also keeping my fingers crossed that the owners will expand nationally and internationally as I will definitely be one of their regulars!!

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank malteser1380
Reviewed December 16, 2008

Although we could have stayed at any hotel in Rome, we chose not to stay in the high tourist areas, which are known to have poorer choices of food (not to mention more expensive) preying on tourist who do not to know any better along with other things. If you want to experience the true city of Rome and meet friendly locals, WRH is an excellent option. It is still in the city center and close walking proximity to all sites. Further, it is just steps away from the tram, bus lines and a taxi stand.

It starts with the great staff, which include Fabrizio and Alex, both of whom speak Italian and English. SInce they own the hotel, it's more than just a job to them. They really want all of their guests to have a pleasant stay and will do whatever they can to ensure this is accomplished.

The rooms are simply furnished and have everything one could possible need. As a traveler, my only requirements are that the room be clean, bed comfortable and that the shower be hot. WRH met all requirements and in fact, exceeded in shower requirement due to the modern, "rain-style" showerhead that offered a perfect spa retreat after a long day. One reviewer commented that the shower head did not offer a good shower experience, and I simply must disagree. It was excellent. There were also plenty of wall hooks for towels, so not sure why this was also an earlier complaint. As for the transparent glass door dividing the bathroom from the rest of the room, this does exist. Ours had a funky string curtain closing off most of it to the room, but it still allowed for some visibility. If you're not comfortable with this, than maybe you shouldn't be sharing a room with this person anyway. We were not bothered.

The free in-room laptop with wi-fi was great and useful even though we brought our own Mac which also picked up the signal just fine.

The rooms were spotless everyday with the usual clean towels. Breakfast entails tickets to redeem at a coffee bar across the street, which is a pleasure in and of itself. I have used such coupons elsewhere on travels, and they can get mixed reviews since the proprieters may look down on them being redeemed at their establishments, but this was not the case with WRH and the corresponding coffee bar--Bar Lelli. Every morning, we got free coffee of choice (Cappucino, Espresso, etc.) and a baked good per person/per room. It is not typical to have a heartier breakfast than this in Rome, so if breakfast is your big meal of the day, you will have to find it elsewhere...maybe back at home.

Trastevere is one of the few neighborhoods left that is not a tourist trap. Since locals live in this neighborhood and dine here, the food often is much better than in other areas. Some recommendations include Mani di Pasta, Roma Spasita, Enzo, and Frontino.

I do agree that the hotel is a little hard to find, but only just a little. It's just off the Piazza Mastai, a known landmark. Once found, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank l0tiongirl
Reviewed December 13, 2008

If you know Rome, you know that nice hotels are expensive and almost non existent in Trastevere the ancient, romantic, and fascinating neighborhood 'across the Tibre'. This hotel is such a treasure I almost thought twice about posting this review for fear you would all flock there and spoil the secret. But, the proprieters are so lovely, so conscientious and have put together such a beautiful, perfect little hotel that I couldn't resist. The hotel is really more of a small guest house, at the top of a flight of stairs, in an old roman town house in Trastevere. There are just 5 rooms but there is a roomy, relaxing lobby area and while the experience is quiant, it is totally free of any of the usual, suposedly charming, European pensione idiosyracies. You keep and carry your room keys with you. The staff are friendly but not overbearing or overly chatty. the rooms are newly and immaculately finished in a sort of 'up scale Ikea' style - clean lines, modern designs, but full of beautiful details like a red mosaic tyles or crystal chandelliers. We stayed in room 5, which I saw pictures of on the hotel website and requested specially 9they were more thna happy to reserve the exact room I requested though this is a very big room and has an 'upgrade' price. Room 5 has a big iron canpoy bed, a small table, day bed / sofa, full closet and big bright roomy bathroom. It was actually more space than we really needed for a 'city break' weekend during which we only stopped back at the hotel to shower for dinner and sleep. I had a chance to look at some of the other rooms which were much smaller but certainly would have served our purposes for the weekend. The included breakfast meant free coissants and coffee at one of the bars / coffee shops across the street. The bar in question was unfortunately quite horrible but at 80 euro cents for a cappuccino anywhere else in Rome, this didn' bother us. The hotel is just off of Vialle di Trastevere, a major (but not noise) thoroughfare that crosses the river and leads right into the historicalcentre of Rome where all of the more famous sites are concentrated. You are about a 15 minute stroll to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, 20 from the Trevi Fountin, Roman Forum and there is nothing you cannot see in walking distance. We even walked easily to the vatican. but the best part of the hotel and my reason for being so thrilled to fianally find such a nice place in Trastevere is that Trastevere itself is a winding cobbled allyway old neighborhood jammed pack with a variety of fun, romantic, young, hip, elegant (everything) bars and restaunrants and my first choice for a breakfast stroll, evening cocktails, great dinner and / or 'night out. Before you leave this hotel in Trastever MAKE SURE you go to the pizzaria on Vialle di Trastevere immidiately in front of the hotel - it has big while neon signage, you can't miss it and it is the best pizza I have had anywhere in the world (and that includes extensive travel in Italy and years of living in NY! This hotel is a dream and a saviour for tourists who want to experience the real Rome, travel in style and comfort and not spend too much. GO!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NYLON2008
Reviewed December 10, 2008

I absolutely loved WRH Trastevere. Ahead of the stay the staff were incredibly helpful. They arranged an executive car pick up from the airport - which was lucky as on the first visit the hotel is a little hard to find - and from then on were courteous, friendly and full of useful local information. The room was beautiful yet simply decorated and the hotel is in a lovely area. I was told by colleagues that it is very much the hot area of the moment. It was impeccably clean. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank SairaLondon
Reviewed December 9, 2008

We stayed at WRH Trastevere in August 2008 in a double room and were very happy with our stay. The room was clean and attractive, with two large windows and air conditioning as well. We were also very pleased to have free use of a laptop with wifi in the room. The location was great, in walking distance of several major attractions, and there were many restaurants around. The owners were very accessible and friendly, and there were many personal touches, e.g. fresh flowers and a handwritten note in the room. Free breakfast at a cafe down the street was included (coffee and a croissant), though there were kitchen facilities in the common room. We would definitely stay here again if we return to Rome. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple