“Adequate..”

Hotel Relais dei Papi
Ranked #201 of 1,268 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Interesting decor with the smallest breakfast room i've ever seen! Not an overly warm welcome but the service improved as the days went by. Extremely well located, clean, and convenient. A tight squeeze for three adults in one room though.

Rice cakes available for a gluten free breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The location of the hotel was very convenient - we were right by a supermarket and a department store (same building). It was close to the underground and a lot of monuments. The air conditioning was excellent - we needed to turn it down a bit at night time! Our room was right next to the cafe and kitchen, which was very convenient and it wasn't noisy at all. The room was small for three people but the bathroom was lovely - the shower was strong and the water was the right temperature. All of the staff were helpful and friendly, especially Daniel. But one was very grumpy and it seemed like he didn't even want to talk to us - he ignored me when I said 'hello'! He nearly spoiled our holiday. I strongly recommend the restaurant 'Taverna Varrone' which is nearby - you can ask Daniel for details.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and got "stuck" on the 3rd floor in room 3. The room was very small. It was impossible to unpack anything. The bathroom is very, very small. You can forget about closing the shower doors and washing your hair with 2 hands unless you don't mind your elbows banging off the doors. I found it best to step in the shower to get wet, step out of the shower to lather up, and step back in to rinse off. The lift/elevator in the building holds 2 people. Although we managed to squeeze 2 suitcases with us, it was a challenge getting on and off. There is also a flight of stairs you'll have to carry your bags up before reaching the elevator. The location of the hotel is convenient to the Vatican and we didn't mind the walk to the other sights to see. The staff seems friendly and the hotel appears to be well kept. Considering we only slept, showered, and stored our stuff here while we toured Rome, the room/bath size was a big inconvenience. If I had a chance to pick another place to stay, I would. the pictures they advertise of this hotel is very far from what we got.

Room Tip: Do not stay or get crammed into Room 3 on the 3rd floor. You will regret it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I really took a leap of faith staying here since the reviews were a mixed bag. I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Vatican; we had a 7:30 a.m. private tour and I didn't want to fight traffic. It was a 10 minute walk from this hotel to the Vatican Museum. I agree with everyone else; this place is strangely decorated but absolutely clean, quiet and comfortable. The breakfast room was teeny tiny but delightful. The restaurants that were suggested were perfect! This part of town is very quiet and safe and there are many gelato shops and little restaurants around. I had booked two separate visits to this hotel and canceled the 2nd visit two days before we were to return. I figured that I would lose my money since I pre-paid but to my utter amazement, they credited my credit card. That is excellent service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank andysmom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights as the first stop on a 4 city Italian vacation. The hotel was very cute and clean. GREAT location---only 5-10 minute walking distance to the vatican. Lots of shopping and restaurants nearby as well. Our room was very small (as is typical of European hotels), but smelled a little musty (on the 3rd floor). I've stayed in hotels in other European cities, but I was shocked to see the size of the shower. It was only a little bit bigger than a coffin. I'm very thin, and barely fit inside when I closed the shower door behind me. There is NO way someone overweight could fit! So needless to say that was very annoying. Had to go out and buy a box of tissues since there wasn't any in the room. The staff was very very friendly, although there was a little trouble communicating due to the language barrier. Cute modern breakfast area where there were typical Italian breakfast choices. Free wi-fi was a big plus, as I had to pay for it in the cities I travelled after Rome.

Room Tip: Have read reviews that rooms on the 4th and 5th floors are much nicer than on the 3rd floor!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank c114nyc
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Rome is another city ticked off my wish list - but I'll be back! We decided to stay in an hotel on the Vatican side of the city as we found it much more accessible and actually cheaper than staying on the other side. We were not disappointed as the hotel was in a great location, only 10 mins from the Vatican and St Peters Square. We took a minibus with another couple from the airport to the hotel as it was only €40, but only an extra €6 if we'd have gone by train and then the metro. The driver was very informative and pointed out places of interest to us during the journey. The hotel does not have a large sign outside and could possibly be a bit difficult to find if on foot. From the outside it doesn't look like an hotel, more like a very large house with quite an old fashioned lift but once we arrived on the 4th floor reception we we're really very impressed. We had booked the 3rd floor but we were given a very modern and large room on the fourth floor. It was really very nice with a reasonably sized bathroom. There was a built in wardrobe but actually this was very shallow so not a lot of room for clothes if you're on a longer trip. There was a small shelf where the safe was (another bonus) where you could put tops etc if you didn't want to hang them up. I would have like to have some drawers to put underwear in as there was actually nowhere to put it apart from on the shelf. Our bedside cabinet has a small drawer to put personal things into. The shower was great but the actually cubicle could have been bigger as it was difficult to move around and if a larger person used it they would struggle, but saying that it was OK for us.
The reception staff were really very helpful and pleasant, full of information for the traveller and nothing was too much of a problem for them. They even printed out our boarding passes as there was a computer on the 3rd floor which all the guests could use free of charge. The hotel had free wifi which was another added bonus.
Breakfast was continential and while this was very good and adequate for us. It was a bit on the small side and when everyone arrived at the same time it did become a little crowded.
Our room was at the end of the corridor next to the breakfast room and the kitchen so unfortunately we were woken up very early in the morning by the staff getting the food ready and chattering away quite loudly but we didn't complain as it was on a minor issue. We would definitely recommend this hotel and would go back there again - but possibly not in room 408!

Room Tip: Room 408 is a bit noisy in the morning as its next to the kitchen.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Relais dei Papi is small, very abstractly decorated, but a great little hotel. It is very close to Vatican City, within a 10 minute walk to the city walls. Giuseppe, at the front desk, was a gem. He was very welcoming, sent us to two fabulous little restaurants, assisted us with transportation to the airport and was just a genuinely nice person to talk with.

Our room was on the 5th floor, called the "Floor for Lovers" by Giuseppe. The lighting in the hallway changes color from green, to purple, to red. Our room was decorated in purple and silver with a very odd picture on the wall. And while the bed was somewhat comfortable (unusual in Italy), the room, and the bathroom, were very small. The bathroom on the airplane coming back was larger than that one. There are larger rooms though. We were traveling with another couple and their room and bathroom, on the 4th floor, was much larger.

I agree with the person who mentioned the breakfast. The breakfast room IS very small and cramped so guests on the upper floors are served breakfast in their room. We requested ours at 8:00a and it arrived sometime between 8:20a and 8:30a. On the day we left for the airport at 8a we went early to the breakfast room and was able to have something before leaving. The breakfast is minimal but it was included and will hold you over until lunch.

Relais dei Papi's decor is unusual and probably not to everyone's taste, but the staff is welcoming and helpful, the rooms are clean and the bed somewhat comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple