“Lovely hotel but...terrible noise till 2am.”
Review of Imperial Rooms

Imperial Rooms
Ranked #1,307 of 3,669 Rome B&B and Inns
“Lovely hotel but...terrible noise till 2am.”
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Great rooms, very friendly staff and a sweet breakfast room completely ruined by the bar/club next door running ( I am told) an unauthorised disco until 2am. The street noise continued on till about 3am. We stayed on the first floor. The night manager tried to talk to the bar and got some success of volume reduction the first night but had no luck the second night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room well away from the bar/disco
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PrimroseHouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
PERTH
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We didn't even get to stay at the hotel, due to the volcanic ash problem we could not even fly out of Australia to get to Italy.
I cancelled our reservation with Imperial Rooms on the 19-4-10 we were to stay with them from the 23-4-10 to the 28-4-10.
They still took $517.00 AUS from my credit card and I can not get it back so far!!!
I have gone to Consumer Affairs over this matter.
All I can say is if this is the treatment I am receiving from the Hotel and we didn't even get to stay there, god only knows what the place is really like.
Very disapointed with Imperial Rooms

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank WALDOPERTH
Gloucester, UK
Reviewed January 16, 2010

We've just returned from a short break in Rome, and stayed in the Imperial Rooms. The location could not be better, with the Colosseum just over the road, and the Forum and Palatine Hill just a tiny bit further. There were also some good restaurants nearby, and the train station a couple of minutes walk to make further exploration of the city.

On arrival the receptionist noticed that my partner had a birthday during our stay, and on the evening before the birthday a complementary bottle of wine was left in the room with glasses and opener! It's things like this that, for us, turn a good place into a great place. Our room, although small, had everything we needed, and we especially liked the jacuzzi bath. I should point out that we had a room at the back on the first floor, and during the evening we could hear the bar downstairs, but not so much that it prevented us from sleeping. Our room was spotlessly clean. Breakfast was OK, mostly sweet pastries, and I'm a savoury kind of person, but it's the Italian way, and when in Rome...

In all, we loved this Hotel. The staff were really friendly and helpful, the room comfortable and the location is fabulous. We stayed in January and had a room at the back, maybe if you're staying during the warmer months it would be prudent to request a back room, as I would imagine it could get quite noisy out front.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Montyspaw
Rotterdam
Reviewed May 20, 2009

This hotel is located right next to the Colosseum above a couple of loud bars. Even at the third floor, the single glazed windows at the front did not at all keep the noise out of the tiny room. The bars below were open till 2 AM and the public stayed on the street till about 4 AM. Live music is featured on Wednesdays. Don't stay here if you can't sleep in a noisy environment (even on the third floor).

The location is great, right next to the Colosseum and very close to the metro. However, if you like to visit the other main sites by foot, you have to walk around the Foro Romano every time, which is a pain. Hotels near Termini might then be a better, cheaper pick.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UnlimitedRotterdam
Boston, San Francisco, London
Reviewed September 18, 2008

I was in town for a conference and needed to be near a metro station. The hotel is about one block from the Colosseum station. The fact that this hotel was practically across the street from the Colosseum was a huge bonus. And the fact that there is a super lively gay nightlife street scene downstairs was an extra bonus...a perfect place for a nightcap before going to sleep. My colleague and I met and chatted with some interesting locals at one of the streetside cafes.

From this hotel, you have the Colosseum and the park holding the Domus Aureus within sight. Within 8 minutes walk, you have the entrance to the old Roman Forum, the Palatino, and Emperor's quarters. And within 15 minutes walk you are at the Piazza Campidoglio, Piazza Venetia, and monument to Vittorio Emmanuel.

The night scene on the street below is very loud. I was up on the third floor with a room facing the street, but with the double glazed windows closed, the room was quiet and I had no problems sleeping. I imagine the noise to be a little louder on the first floor (reception is on the ground floor) so if you are a light sleeper, then you should request a room in the back if you end up on the 1st floor.

The rooms were always very clean and are of a decent size and the bed was very comfortable. Mine had an en suite bath. My colleague's room did not, so he had to use a bathroom that was just down the hall.

The hotel offered a good price that included breakfast at a cafe around the corner. Many other hotels in Rome cost much more, and give you far less. The front desk is also staffed 24 hours each day. There is free wireless internet but you can only really access the signal from the ground or 1st floors; you need your own ethernet cable if you need internet in your room (but I dont know if it is free or not). I would definitely stay here again. But I would not recommend this hotel for elderly people who cannot navigate stairs (the building is from the 1500's and has no elevator) or for people who cannot tolerate the idea of there being several lively cafe/bars and gay nightlife just outside the hotel.

• Liked — Location with view of Colosseum, lively bars and restaurants down below
  • Disliked — No stairs, wireless internet signal didn't reach to the upper floors
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
7 Thank Donny918
Rainham Kent
Reviewed July 14, 2008

We have just returned from a fantastic stay in Rome celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The building is 100 yards from the Coliseum, 200 yards from the nearest metro & bus stops a minutes walk.
I e-mailed the owner a few weeks prior to the booking & asked for a nice quite room & that's what we got. The included breakfast at the local cafe 50 yards up the road was very nice, staff a little abrupt but the caffe, cornetto, bread rolls & jam, fresh fruit & fruit juice were great & all with a fantastic view of the coliseum.
The room was a good size, well furnished, spotlessly clean, fully air-conditioned, mini bar (Prosecco - Euro 2.5 for 25 ml) & a Jacuzzi bath.
The staff were always helpful, we vacated the room at 11 am on our final day & they looked after our bags until 6 pm.
We initially booked a room at Mattise Properties (same owner) on Via Nationale but I'm glad we moved to the Imperial Rooms.
I read review after review before booking this, other feedback isn't favourable but I can only be honest about our stay. My wife has already recommended this place to one of her friends who is planning a trip to Rome. I'd definitely go back again, the only draw back is no lift, if you are on upper floors it could be a climb to the third or fourth floors.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No Lift
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Johndoran64
Frankfurt
Reviewed March 22, 2008

I would like to make a comment regarding the cupple that stayed with us in the same period.We had a wonderfull time because it was the 8th of march and everybody was celebrating Mother's Day.We heard them compleining about the music around 22PM wich i don't think that is a very late hour if you take in consideration the event that was that day.Also you don't expect the breakfast to be served at 7 o'clock in the morning considering that during that night everybody celebrated and because of that the bar opened at 8.30.We think that the place was very nice and the staff very friendly.I recomand this hotel to everyone who wants to have a nice vacation and who wants to have fun, not to sleep during the whole period.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — that i had to return home
  • Stayed March 2008