“5 star contemporary near Piazza Navona”

Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George
Ranked #29 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 15, 2009

Stayed here for two nights. Booked 3 weeks in advance on Expedia and got a greatly reduced rate when booking the non-refundable rate. $240 USD per night. This is a insane rate for a 5 star hotel. Hotel is more trendy and contemporary than the older grand hotels of Rome. New hotel within last 1-2 yrs. Nice location. 20 minute walk to Spanish Steps. 5 min to Piazza Navona. Our room was smallest in hotel and was still pretty comfortable. Quiet neighborhood and solid windows so no noise problems. Room decor and bathrooms were as expected for a 5 star property. Good linens and comfortable bed. Hotel bar is nice. Also rooftop bar. Spa is something they are proud of although we didn't use it. Great alternative to Hassler, Portrait Suites or Hotel de Russie if you want a 5star prop/room - but don't want to spend $800-1000 USD per night.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,237)

Reviewed June 10, 2009

I recently stayed for a 4 night break at this lovely boutique hotel in the centre of Rome - in the adorable Via Giulia. Quite expensive and we decided to go out for breakfast as i found 25 pp too much for a coffee and croissant. Hotel seemed very empty maybe the rates are a little on the high side..... but i liked the atmosphere and the staff were very professional and friendly.
I would definitely go back - but it sure would depend on what rate I would get the room for....

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2009

Fortune Magazine got it wrong with this one.

Although St. George is certainly a 'nice-looking' hotel (as you can view on their website), and located in a superb part of old Rome (Via Giulia), I had my Macintosh computer charger switched over the course of 10 minutes. Literally, whoever switched my charger did it very quickly, during a time in which the maid happened to be 'straightening' my room. I left so she could do her work, returning 10 minutes later.

Here's the scoop: Apple chargers are universal. The actual plug mechanism is interchangeable. The thief popped off my plug (which had a European adapter on the end), switched the chargers, and then popped the plug back on the one they replaced mine with, as if nothing had happened. However, I noticed right away, as I intended to use my laptop (which was in the safe). I never thought to put my wires in the safe as well....

I immediately contacted the front desk (snobby and condescending), and demonstrated what had happened, in a polite manner. No one appeared to 'understand'. me. In fact, they denied anything had happened, brushing my concerns aside, and pointed out to me while laughing "LOOK...it's American Plug...it cannot be ours!" I showed them the serial number was different than mine, with no success. I asked to speak with the manager, Paolo Falchi; I was informed that he was not available. I left a message that he come speak to me as soon as possible. Palo Falchi never showed.

In addition, the hotel dine-in menu is plain and over-priced. Watch your bill, because they double-charged me for a 5E drink.

So folks: put your cords in the safe. Especially if you own a Mac...the parts are universal, which make them quite valuable to a thief.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2009

The George Roma has recently been done up and is a fabulous small hotel close to all the major attractions. From the outside, it doesnt look much on a narrow cobbled street, but as soon as you walk in, you can feel the quality and cleanliness. The design is very modern and all the facilities are high tech and luxurious.
There is also a beautiful Spa but unfortunately with all the sights to see, we didnt get the chance to enjoy this.
We were celebrating our 10th Wedding Anniversary so chose a Deluxe room which was large and very comfortable. In fact my husband said it was the best bed he had ever slept in at a hotel!
There is a beautiful courtyard for breakfast and a breathtaking terrace for evening drinks overlooking parts of the City. We didnt eat in the restaurant but the food looked fabulous.
Whilst it is not cheap, they offer you 5* Luxury at a vastly reduced price than other well known 5* hotels in Rome.
The staff were extremely helpful and recommended some great local restuarants to eat in at night. If you do stay, make sure you go to Osteria Romana (5 mins walk). Here you will not get a menu but will receive a selection of excellent fish or meat dishes chosen by the chef - best restuarant ever!
I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough! Although I would say that it is more suited to couples than families.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lorna B
Reviewed May 23, 2009

Stay was five days. Luxury hotel, with small but beautiful spaces. The front desk staff was fine, but seemed to lack the polish and quality of service usually associated with a five star hotel. The breakfast was excellent, as well as the staff in the restaurant. Room was lovely, beds comfortable, but the doors closing in the hallways can wake you several times a night. They need to add some buffers of some sort. Location is quiet, and near Vatican. It's worth the cab ride to and from the airport. If internet was included in room rate, and room service menu had a wider range of choices and prices, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank vagabondwoman
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I travel all over the world and have experienced 5 star hotels that live up to their reputation. Overall it was a nice experience - the hotel has a great location and the service is above average. The room are large and comfortable. And the bathroom are large with large tubs, lots of hot water and good H20 pressure.
Where the hotel lacks is as follows: A would-be manager named Alessandro was snobbish -- when you're spending $500 Euro a night for a room and staying there 4 nights, you don't want attitude, arrogance or dishonesty. The hotel speaks for itself, you don't need to be arrogant to portray the hotel in a higher category. Other than that it was a perfect stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rolexracer
stgeorgeroma, Guest Relation at Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2009

Dear Mr. Hanson,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I just spoke to my collegue Alessandro about the event.

He confirmed exactly what you reported, even if i had no doubt about your version.

I do not want to respond to you referring to what Alessandro said or what attitude he though he had :

You should find it negative, not constructive, to you.

I trust your sensation and i say: we apologize for that.

Hope you believe us, it is not usual we have a complaint about our staff attitude.

We will think about this episode, trying not to make the same mistake in the future.

As you kindly reported, you probably will come again in Rome this summer.

We will appreciate if you would like to give us a second chance, booking again St.George Hotel.

Thanking you for the attention and remaining at your complete disposal,

We send you our

Kindest regards,

Antonio Incarico

Guest Relations &
Reservations Supervisor

Hotel St. George

Reviewed May 19, 2009

We stayed at the St. George's Hotel in October 08. The location was superb!Right in the middle of 'old' Rome and east walking distance to EVERYTHING!

Although we were a little disappointed with the frontage of the hotel, the interior was great and the reception staff helpful and friendly.

We had booked a double room and, although there was everything there that you would expect from a 5 * hotel, the room was a little small. I would recommend up-grading the room, especially if your stay is for a special occasion.

We only had breakfast at the hotel which was self-service and plentiful.

Overall, a really nice hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple