“Nice hotel with a couple of 'issues'”

Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George
Ranked #31 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Our room was large and comfortable. However, we had several 'in room' issues with electricity, stuck closet doors, shower...we felt we knew every staff member there! Speaking of staff, great job done by everyone! The breakfast is ample, again, when we were there (October), the eggs were cold as the heating utensil did not work. We advised the restaurant Mgr who just replied (yes, we have a problem)..and the same occurred the next day. I know they take pride in the hotel, they just need to be on top of issues like these. Also, no instruction on using the key to turn the lights on..we had a huge laugh trying to figure this out! The courtyard is closed after the summer. We did not find this information on the hotels websitte. Maybe they could add it to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Donna W
stgeorgeroma, Direttore at Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear donnayvr
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to write to us regarding your recent stay at the St. George Rome.
We note that, although, you experienced a very warm welcome from my staff and the impression and the cleanliness of the hotel were good.
On the other hand I do apologize regarding some issues that accured during your stay, we had some problems with the heating utensil this is the reason why the eggs were cold, but I can ensure you that now everything is perfectly functioning.
Regarding some instructions for the use of the key card , and information about the garden closed during the winter season I have discussed all these points with my marketing director and we will make sure that all information will be given correctly.
Anyway please take my personal assurance that your comments are very much valued and to not hesitate to contact me personally during your next visit to Rome.
With warmest regards. Paolo Falchi, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was a great stay - the staff was superb (especially compared to some of the service in the rest of Rome...), the rooms clean and well designed, the bed comfy. Cosy lobby with sofas, wine bar, there is a free spa in the basement (I had a massage as well, not free of course, was very good).

Walking distance to all major attractions of Rome.

Did not try the restaurant, so cannot comment.

Would stay here again, definitely recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StephanJudge
stgeorgeroma, Direttore at Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear StephanJudge
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review, I am delighted to know that you truly enjoyed your stay at the St. George Roma.
I am very happy to learn that your impression about the location, the design of the hotel and the rooms were good.
Most of all I am very glad to hear so kind words about my staff: I will be very happy to share with the whole team your positive comments.
I sincerely hope we will have the chance to welcoming you again soon.
Yours sincerely. Paolo Falchi, General Manager

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed for our nights in November last year and loved every minute. the hotel is conveniently situated between the vatican and sites such as the pantheon. Even the colosseum is walking distance if you don't mind a decent walk, and theres lots to see on the way! Breakfast was ideal, the rooms comfortable and the spa was a welcome retreat post sightseeing. The hotel restaurant was a little disappointing for the price but theres plenty of well priced eateries nearby. The hotel is also within walking distance of Trastevere - a beautiful place to walk around and dine.

My only issue is that their cheapest room is only available as a double - it's odd to pay extra for a twin

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have some street noise which may annoy sensitive sleepers!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Keri E
stgeorgeroma, Direttore at Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Keri E
Thank you very much for your very kind review.
I would like to thank you for the excellent feedback on the breakfast , Spa and location.
About the restaurant I can assure that our prices are competitive for a luxury 5 star hotel and in line with the market.
Once again thank you very much for your time and for choosing to stay at the St. George and we hope to see you very soon here in Rome.
With best wishes. Paolo Falchi, General Manager

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We spent a week at the Hotel St George in room 218. Room was directly On the via Giulia but the windows were excellent and there was no bothersome noise. The room was very new and clean, bathroom spotless, the bed very comfortable and I liked the location very much. Close to everything but away from the tourist crush. We literally walked everywhere in Rome - only took cabs in pouring rain and when going to eat in Portuense or Gianicolo.

Plenty of room in our junior suite and the maid service was excellent and unobtrusive.

Breakfast buffet was included and quite good, though unchanging and by the end of the week I was a little tired of it. Breakfast room staff was very attentive and pleasant. My husband didn't explain to me what the Wi-Fi process was and so I checked the paid version for most of the week until I found out there was another way to log in - the Front desk immediately credited my bill when we asked about it.

I did not go in it but there is a smoking lounge which I never suspected - cannot smell it in the lobby or breakfast room. There is a cozy common area and bar as well as a restaurant which I have been told by a friend is excellent and one of the few restaurants that is handicap accessible in Rome. We did not eat there.

Cons -
If hairdryer is important to you - it is a rather weak built in model. Bring your own.

Shower is in a step up bathtub, not my favorite sort of situation. A little bit dangerous for those unsteady on their feet in my opinion.

We unhesitatingly recommend the Hotel St George and would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sledxl
stgeorgeroma, Direttore at Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear sledxl
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the St. George Roma.
I am delighted to know that you very much enjoyed your accommodation in our Junior Suite.
It is lovely to read that you found our location excellent and thank you for your positive feedback on your buffet breakfast experience; moreover I am also very pleased to listen that our staff was very attentive and pleasant.
We do hope to welcome you back.
Warmest regards and best wishes. Paolo Falchi, General Manager

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Of many places we stayed during out trip to italy, this place realy struck a chord. We enjoyed it. The quality and build of the hotel is great. Service and communcation is great. The location is very convenient and easuily accessible to all the main attraction areas. You feel safe walking around in the evenings down all the cobblestone avenues.

Breakfast and the roof top bar is a great addition to the venue. You wont go wrong. Theres a great coffee shop just 200 feet from the entrance, they have some great coffee and its run by a humble older couple, check it out. Nice place to catch up with some locals that wouldnt intimidate you.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank anandude

Dear Anandude
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback and to have chosen the St. George Roma.
I was delighted to learn you appreciated our location: this is one of our strengths and I am happy you enjoyed it.
We really appreciated your positive comments on our service, breakfast and roof top bar.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcoming you again at the St. George Roma.
Best regards. Paolo Falchi, General Manager

Reviewed January 14, 2013

“Yes, this hotel is supposed to be 5 star” are the very words of the hotel’s own receptionist – a rude and unfriendly man repeating what I had asked him. At least he was speaking the truth!

Maybe it was supposed to be 5 star but it this is an overrated, underwhelming little bed and breakfast that I would rate, at best, 3 stars. The location was fine, a little out of the way but if you were fit you could still walk to most places but the abiding memory is not the rather dull brown décor but the very strong smell from cheap cleaning fluid that filled the room. When I first raised the issue, more – possibly different – disinfectant was sprayed and it made the smell worse. Eventually, and with the help of a better porter to show me other room, and who also commented on the stench, I got a scent free room. It was fine, I suppose, but the lino on the floor was more suggestive of a guest house, c 1970 than contemporary luxury. Breakfast too was basic rather than beautiful.

The roof terrace did look lovely, but it was closed. Some staff were amiable. But not all.

Nearby is the Raphael, another hotel in an old building, albeit a more beautiful, better situated (more expensive) one. I stayed there on my last trip, it oozed understated elegance, the St George just oozed its unpleasant odour.

Even if it were free, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank LeBristolUK
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had a wonderful stay in late December at the St. George. The rooms were comfortable, the service was fantastic and the location is a great central point to explore Rome. The rooms beat my expectations. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I hope I get the opportunity to come back. Mid-way through our trip, my wife's little sister decided to join us and we requested a roll away bed. The hotel was fantastic and allowed us to upgrade to a larger room to facilitate a more comfortable stay, since we were adding a third to the room. We really appreciated the service and their flexibility.

I hope I get to come back soon.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JeffCooper
stgeorgeroma, Direttore at Hotel Indigo Rome - St. George, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear JeffCooper
We are really happy to know that you very much enjoyed your stay at the St. George Roma.
It is lovely to read that you found accommodation very comfortable and that our staff has contributed to make your stay a wonderful stay.
We are particularly delighted to know that you appreciated our location, indeed the hotel is next to Campo de Fiori, the Vatican and the Trastevere districts, the perfect place to explore Rome.
Once again thank you very much for your time and for choosing to stay at the St. George and we hope to see you very soon here in Roma.
Yours sincerely. Paolo Falchi, General Manager