“A Budget Motel in No Man's Land”

Hotel Selva Candida
Ranked #433 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed June 15, 2012

What I appreciate about this motel is, firstly, the quality of service provided by the receptionists. They were sincere, helpful, and speak comprehensible English (Be sure to get the city map and buy the 1 Euro multi-transport tickets from the receptionist; the tickets were a god-sent for my travels across Rome). Secondly, the room that I stayed in was clean and spacious enough for a solo traveller like me. Occasionally, I could hear noises along the corridor and from adjacent rooms but that is not really an issue for me because the foam ear plugs I wore to sleep could block out these noises effectively. Thirdly, the motel provided van shuttle service from the hotel to the nearest Metro station in the morning (Sundays not included); that shaved off a significant amount of my travelling time to the city-center of Rome. Fourthly, there is a huge supermarket opposite the motel for you to buy cheap food, water, and groceries. It's a pity I wasn't informed by the receptionist about this supermarket and only discovered it on the third day of my stay.

What I didn't appreciate about this motel is its location. It is so far from the city-center of Rome that on certain mornings, I would experience inertia to even explore Rome (which is the point of my travels in Europe) when I thought about how much of a hassle and time-consuming it is to travel to the city-center of Rome and then back to the motel. You would need to take a bus from the motel to reach a Metro station (The total waiting and travelling time of this is about 40 minutes.). After which, you would then need to take a train to reach the city-center of Rome. Secondly, my regional flight out of Rome to Barcelona was at about 7.30am. Hence, I needed to reach the airport at around 5.30am. That means I needed to leave the motel at around 4.55am, factoring in the time needed to travel to the airport. Obviously, at that unearthly time, there is no public transport I could take to reach the airport. There's no airport transfer service too to speak off, too, since this motel is so inaccessible. Hence, I had no choice but to book a private car shuttle service recommended by the motel that cost a whopping 50 Euros. Effectively, that wiped out the savings I earned from choosing this budget motel over a hotel in the city-center of Rome. Fifthly, I didn't feel safe walking along the busy and hazardous highway in front of the motel. I also didn't feel safe taking Bus 904: there was once I felt targeted by a snatch thief. Next, I also didn't feel safe in the neighbourhood where I needed to wait for Bus 904 back to the motel.

Overall, my advice to travellers is that you would be better off choosing a hotel that is in or near to the city-center of Rome. The money that you save from choosing this budget motel doesn't outweigh the convenience (travelling time, availability of restaurants, proximity to key sights), ease, and safety of living in or near to the city-center of Rome. Picture this: You had such a tiring (but eventful) day exploring Rome but you would still have to go through so much trouble (refer to above-mentioned) to reach the comfort of your hotel for your well-deserved rest. I don't know about you, but my travel experience at this motel has taught me that I would, in future, spend a bit more to stay in or near to the city-center of any city I visit. Cheers.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank IntrepidExplorer205
There are newer reviews for Hotel Selva Candida

Reviewed June 5, 2012

The hotel is lovely, the staff are even better, but its the location (if you are a none driver) that is the only problem with this hotel.

When going to take the bus into town me and my friend personally felt we were risking our lives waiting on the road, it has no side walk and the cars go so quick its a little scary to be honest, but other than that everything else about this hotel was amazing.

I apologise to the staff for submitting this because they are amazing, but it is a scary road...sorry.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
effeaniballi, Proprietario at Hotel Selva Candida, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Dear Susan,
thaks for your appreciation for our hotel and for us.
As per your experience, even other people are a little scared about the street, but nobody, untill today, had any problem. Unfortunely there is nothing we can do about the location of the stop: we tried to ask to move the stops, but we failed. But we'll try again, again and again.

Best regards

Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights with some friends and it was great. It is quiet, the rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. Francesco gave us some wonderful restaurant recommendations and was very helpful with helping us find our way around. It is a little out of the way, but it is worth it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Necole,
thanks a lot!!

Hope to see you again in future

Reviewed May 27, 2012

This hotel was very great to stay at. We had a big, clean room with a large tub, but the water temperature did not stay hot very long. This hotel also did not have a shuttle to the center of Rome. They offered to drop us off at the Metro subway station, but did not offer to pick us up afterwards. Instead, we drove to a free parking area they suggested to get onto the Metro. Other than that, the breakfast was mediocre, but free and they had free wi-fi. One gentleman at the reception who unfortunately we didn't catch his name, was very accommodating. He was very tall and spoke great English. There is not a restaurant on site so he suggested two restaurants nearby that we dined at. The last one called Santa Gemma was the best meal we ate while in Italy. I would definitely recommend that restaurant. The hotel is on a huge property and the quality of the hotel was great, especially for the price. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Christina,
thanks a lot for your review. I apologize if you the water wasn't very hot, I do not remember wich room you had, if you could let me know we'll double check the sistem. About the shuttle, as you wrote in this period we are trying this free service from the hotel to the Metro station Battistini. For us is an hard commitment because our prices are generally half of the average rates of Rome, so having a service up to the city center it out of our budget. Unfortunely a round trip free service to the center is absolutely out of our budget. Butt he bus 904 runs from the hotel up to Cornelia metro station untill midnight and during the night there is also a night bus N20 from Piazza Venezia to here for the reasonable price of 1.5 €.
The tall tall tall gentlemen at the reception is Florian, he thanks you.

Hope you'll be our guest again

Best regards

Reviewed May 25, 2012

We, a family of four, stayed here for four nights in April, and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is quiet, which is one of the reasons we chose it. Our kids were already going late to bed with all the sight seeing, so we did not want a city centre hotel that would be surrounded by late night revellers.

It was also clean, with friendly and helpful staff and the breakfasts were more than adequate. The quad / family room was also very spacious. There was a separate bedroom for the adults and a sleeper couch in the lounge for the kids.

The only down side is the distance out of town. We had a car, so the first drive in to the metro station took 20 minutes (on a Sunday morning). On subsequent mornings it was an exhausting and frightening fight with all the other rush hour commuters and ended up taking almost an hour. The evening return trips (which we did after eating supper in the city) were a lot quicker and easier though.

Room Tip: Quad room has lots of space.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2012

stayed here for a week with a friend the hotel is nice and the staff are extremely helpful and polite.
the only issues are it is out of town you have to get the 904 bus from outside the hotel (there are no paths and is a busy road so be careful) to cornelia station the tube into rome.
you can get a weekly transport pass for 16 euro which is great value for money.
some days the hotel would put on a shuttle to the station if you dont mind the commute this really is a lovely little hotel to stay its just the location that lets its down but the staff are more than happy to help you with any queries .

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Smack in the middle of a neighborhood just outside of busy and congested Rome, this charming villa was perfect for my family of four! We chose a small room, and while we would have preferred a larger space, we made it work since we really were only in the room to sleep! The breakfast provided on the first floor from 7-10am was a little lacking, no eggs offered, but plenty of fruit, breakfast cakes/pastries, salami with cheese, and coffee is made per cup according to your preference by a member of the staff. Every staff member I had the pleasure of interacting with spoke English pretty well and was very kind and friendly. Overall, we enjoyed our stay here and recommend it to other Americans!

• Stayed: April 2012