“Great Hostel”

and 1 more site!
Funny Palace
Ranked #946 of 3,710 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 22, 2013

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. The owner and staffs were so friendly, the room and bathrooms so cleaned, tidy and warm. Close to the main station in Rome and the owner showed us how to go to the best places in the city. Definitely recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Funny Palace

Reviewed December 10, 2012

It was the best hostel that we've been. When we arrived, the owner gave us a free bottle of wine and he upgrade our room for free. He also gave us all the direction to see the best attraction in town. It was very clean and near the Termini. I really recomand this hostel!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our stay at this hotel may explain the varried reviews this place has received. Our first night was spent in an excellent room with great AC and a hot shower. The next night we were moved to a building next door where the room was well furnished but had terrible AC and cold showers. We were told we did not pay for AC so can't really complain about it however the whole Experiance felt a soar taste that free bottle of wine did not wash away.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tim M
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Let me start by saying that the Funny Palace is an excellently priced, safe and friendly hostel for those looking to stay in Rome as cheaply as possible. However, it does have one worrying feature, one that shall cause some alarm to those who are perhaps too lazy/arrogant/mildly-stupid to read all of the instructions on your internet booking, and it is this; the Funny Palace has no front door. Now you may find this odd when you present yourself at the proper address, a worrying discovery that there is an internet café where perhaps a hostel should stand. You shall check to make sure that indeed no, this is not a large hostel before your eyes, it is a place to wash your unmentionables, yes, you have the right address, and yes, your friends will be quite displeased with you when they arrive later to find you quietly crying on the street, desperately searching for a place to sleep tonight. Indeed, this is a strange turn of events, particularly when there is not even a sign on the wall that reads “Funny Palace”. Now, those of us who don’t like to bother people by asking stupid questions will retreat at this stage, (and yes, asking “Excuse me, but does your small laundromat also happen to be a large hostel by any chance?” does count as a stupid question in my mind), and you shall then quickly contemplate spending the nightly sleeping alongside Termini Station’s ample homeless population. However, worry not brave traveller, as once you summon the courage to venture inside and ask your ridiculous question, you shall be met with a warm smile, a welcoming handshake, and a reassuring assertion that yes, you did not actually book for your friends to spend your long-planned week in Rome sleeping in a hammock beside a washing machine.

My party consisted of myself and two friends, so we booked ourselves into a 3-bed room with a private bathroom for the week. After receiving our keys (and complementary bottle of wine) we ventured upstairs, to find a clean, spacious room, with comfortable beds, a high ceiling, and importantly, a functioning bathroom. Other plus points include free internet (both wifi and in the internet café downstairs), functioning air-conditioning, and a television showing apparently countless numbers of Italian shopping channels. On the downside, the bathroom was slightly mouldy, the air-con occasionally suffers from a grumbling conditions that requires it to be lovingly punched to shut it up, the safe had been auto-locked by whoever had been in the room before us, and the in-room refrigerator had been ominously wired to the socket by an electrician who clearly spent his apprenticeship researching “How to be an electrician” on Wikipidea, meaning that the fridge somehow manages to cool your drinks to slightly above room temperature. And be warned, all payments must be in cash, so unless you fancy a quick trip down to the local ATM, bring some with you.

And now the most pertinent question; was it value for money? Unequivocally yes. For the amount we paid, we got quite simply excellent value for money. Yes, it is in an area of town that isn’t the nicest (as is usual near train stations in all major cities), though personally I never felt unsafe. Yes, the complementary wine tasted like it had been found in one of the crypts of the Vatican, dusted off, and then given to cheap tourists who don’t know any better, but it is true, many tourists don’t know better. And it is free! Anyway, your complementary breakfast in the nearby Bar Roberto the next morning should help to eradicate any unfortunate effects if you make the ill-advised decision to finish the bottle...But above all, the staff are extremely friendly, speak excellent English, and are more than happy to accommodate you in any way they can, be it with a detailed guide to filling your time in Rome, or simply a place to leave you bags after checkout while you wait for the train home. The lack of a front door may be funny, but the value certainly isn’t.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Eoin R
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Hated Rome as a City, but this hostel made it bearable. Cannot recommend enough. We arrived to 36 degree heat and I accidentally booked the room with no AC. They had had a cancellation and upgraded us free of charge. Along with a free bottle of wine, and a stunning, spacious room we were in an Interrailers paradise. The guys also sat down with us when we arrived with a map an showed us everything we needed to know, without us even asking. The discount on the laundry service and free internet was great, as we were a week into our trip around Europe and these services came in very handy. The location is also great as its only a 2 min walk from termini, the main train station. The appearance is a bit strange at first, but never judge a book by its cover. Amazing value for money, and nowhere else in Europe did we receive such hospitality and great service from the staff. the discount cards for the local restaurants also helped us to make our budget stretch in a very expensive city. Breakfast is quite small but not to be growled at. Overall it was the best hostel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Not sure who is writing these other reviews because the wifi does not work, and there is no air conditioning and no safe (but I stayed in a private room). I found my stay so uncomfortable as it was the peak of summer. The room was very nice if it wasnt for the temperature, so I imagine it would be nice in the cooler months. We were allowed to use the internet for free at the internet cafe so lack of wifi wasnt too much of a problem. Breakfast was a delicious croissant. Room was cleaned daily. I didnt like the location and felt unsafe at night- but wouldnt be a problem for larger groups. Near the station, so good in that respet. Overall my low rating is due to lack of air con and feeling a little unsafe around the area.. if those things dont bother you, then you'll probably like the place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I just stayed there for two nights in an advertised four bed dorm but there were only three beds, which was a nice plus. I definitely agree with the other reviewers that it was a little weird that we checked in a self-servce laundromaut but not a big deal.
I also got a bottle of wine for free was a nice touch.
The room had AC, albiet I believe it was capped off at a certain temperature but it made it better.
The big thing for me is that everything was clean although there was no soap in the toilet. Other than that, I had a great experience for my first hostel and I'd go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo