“Good location and very friendly, helpfull people”

Dimora Storica Urbana Roma
Ranked #1,676 of 3,669 Rome B&B and Inns
Pretoria
“Good location and very friendly, helpfull people”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Located walking distance from the main train station as well as most of the historical sites in Rome. The colloseum and Forum Romanum, Circus Maximus, Trevi fountain, Spanish steps and more. But not for elderly people or the really unfit.
The people do not speak much English, but with a map and some gestures they will send you in the right direction and even draw the best route on the map.
The rooms are old as can be expected in an old city, but clean with clean bedding. After all you are not there to stay in a room all day. The bathrooms are small but newly done and clean.
The street where it is located is more of local than tousists and is an experience into the way these people live.
There are some good restaurants in the street with great local food not to be missed.
The breakfast in the restaurant next door (included) is ample with pastries. breads, cheese, jams, cereals, yoghurts and fresh fruit, juices and bottomless coffee.

Only problem is that they have no elevator as can be expected in these old structures, so you may have to walk 4 floors up.

But beeing onest you are going to see Rome not walk up and down to your room all day.

If you are in for an adventure you would like this.

Andea from Pretoria South Africa

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andea B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The pictures do not correspond to reality, the place is dirty and the rooms are smelly. The front door is broken and the windows overlook a noisy restaurant until late at night. There is no elevator. The stairs are dirty, broken and dark and we also saw a mouse running away in the basement.
It 'a shame, would have to close places like that! Instead they also wanted to be paid. :-(

Room Tip: Do not go!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mark H

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Location next to Colosseum, but at the same time not very noisy. Reception staf - very friendly and supportive. Breakfast is in the next door cafe and is fine enough (some bread, some drinks, boiled egg, some fruits).
Looks like hotel just own several apartments in that building and as per our own experience ( where we stay) and reading comments - most of them or may be even all are situated pretty high upstairs. There is one visible benfit - you are more far away from street noise, but the price ... Our room was situated on 4th (in fact it is more fair to call it 7th floor,as there are apartments at the end of each stair-well, kind of first floor, first and a half floor, second floor ..etc) without elevator. I am fan of climbing atop of various ladders with enormous amount of steps, but after whole day walking around Rome - it wasn't easiet way up for me as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Selby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel is very close to the metro and coliseum and walking distance to the Vitorriano monument. Lucia is a lovely, friendly woman. That's the good stuff. For those of us who expect a hotel to be a hotel, this isn't, as it partly an accommodation block, so you have to put up with the noise of the locals, the fact that it has no lift, so if your room is on the fourth floor, expect to be knackered by the time you get to your room. The room was very small, with very worn out tiles and general dirty. As a big man, I found the bathroom a trial. We got breakfast in our room on our first morning, with broken plastic cups for tea, with no milk and no breakfast on the second day. Very, very poor for the price charged.

Room Tip: Check what floor your room is on, before booking.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Keith F
Lárisa, Larisa, Greece
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The reason I chose this hotel was that i had read everywhere about the friendliness of the staff .
Little did i know how heavily I would have to depend on it when i fell ill on Christmas Day. Lucia ( the owner) left the Christmas party she had at home and came to my rescue, found a doctor, which took hours on such a day and did everything my own mother would have done. What else
could a foreigner ask for ?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Firstly, I must write that I don't normally feel the need to review hotels I have stayed in, and I am not a picky person, and usually, as long as a place is clean and safe I make do with whatever I get given in the way of accommodation. However, I feel compelled to write up my experiences at this hotel so that others do not experience the same.
On arrival, I found the lady who was sitting on reception (if that's what you can call it) a bit abrupt and at first I thought she was incredibly rude until I realised it's just that she doesn't speak much English. I had booked a deluxe double room for single occupancy, but the room was far from deluxe. It was also 5 floors up with no lift. OK for me, but for anyone with mobility problems it could be a problem. The rooms are in a very old buidling with very old doors. To get to my room I had to go through a door onto and along a balcony into another part of the building. On my arrival the door onto the balcony must have been open because I didn't notice it. Upon my return on the first day however I found this door onto the balcony was locked and none of the keys on my keyring opened it. I started to panic when I found the two old dears who run the place had locked up and gone home for the day. I knocked on a couple of doors in the buidling and some people just wouldn't even try to help me, then a nice couple tried to get the door open with my keys and they couldn't manage it either. By this point I was a bit stressed to say the least. Then a couple of lads who were staying in the room next to the door I was trying to open came back and were struggling to get their door open too!! anyway, after a few minutes of jiggling about with their door and key they got into their room and then kindly helped me with the door to the balcony. After lifting the door and trying the key at various angles and so on, finally the door opened. I thanked them, breathed a sigh of relief and went to my room.
The following day however, the same thing happened again!!!! I could not get the key to work in the door no matter how I tried. I ran downstairs hoping the women had not locked up for the day, and the oldest dear was there, but she speaks no English at all, and then was a fraught conversation with me trying to explain to her with sign language what had happened. Then she started mumbling in Italian and groaning and pointing at herself as if to say 'I am old'..what do you expect me to do about it.....I couldn't believe the response I was getting and was quite stressed out at this point. I think she then realised that it was not OK for me to be locked out of my room, and she went over to the restaurant opposite and asked one of the young waiters to go up and help me get the door open. Again, after he had struggled with the door for several minutes, he got it open...I thanked him and told him that I was concerned about getting locked out again...and he shook his head as if to say 'not my problem'...so I was left feeling really worried about what would happen if I came back that night and couldn't get the door open. So I looked around to see what I could use to keep the door open and found an old chair which I wedged up against it. Thankfully the chair was still there the following day.
The breakfast is a bit poor, and served on paper plates, which I could have forgiven if I hadn't had all of the drama with the doors. I did not let any of this ruin my trip, and it cannot be denied that it is in a really good location - just 5 minutes from the Colosseum etc but they really need to do something with the locks/doors in the place - so be warned!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Sheila B
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We loved this Hotel and even though we were there for such a brief time (2 nights) we and our companions loved it .
only a short walk from termini and off Via Cavour but without Via Cavour prices , Perfect .
Great food at the restaurant and very good value . short walk to all Rome has to offer ..

Room Tip: ask for 4th floor but be fit no lift , very historic 500 year old building.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple