Hotel Augustus
$332
$306
$271
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfree wifiwithin walking distancepievebalconyelevatorvatican
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I checked in the Augustus Hotel on the hottest day of July. The first night went allright except that the breakfast was really not worth mentionning. I was then moved to a different rooom on the second night and this is where the problems began. The room smelled terrible. Also the AC unit was bust and shut down on its own every 10 min. The night shift guy could not speak a word of English and was not at all sympathetic nor helpful. I was told the next day by the manager that the problem was due to excessive heat and had nothing to do with the hotel ("Excuse me!!?!?!"), therefore my request for a significant discount was rejected. Well, that was not his exact words. It would be too rude to mention them on this review.
My advice is: do yourself a favour and go to a different hotel!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2010

We went toRome a group of High School's students to spent 4 days in February 2010. The hotel Augustus was very nice, goods rooms, has friendly staff and we felt like at home.
It has free internet, and breakfast service:) for free
Close to the bus 62, 60 and 63 that takes you to all around Rome.
I would recomend it to everyone.
From Ubrique, Cádiz

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Hotel Augustus was a bit surprising at first – as it’s located on the complete second floor of a historical building on piazza Fiume. At first I was puzzled, as I’ve expected to see a reception on the entry level. There is one directly after the entrance on the second floor. Once we’ve reached it – things came back to normal – the room was clean and visibly new. There was a PC in the room with a hybrid LCD display – playing the role of a wall-mounted TV and the computer monitor at the same time. For non-techies finding your way through the remove might take a while though. :)
The bed was very comfortable; breakfast was delivered in the room every morning on a pre-defined point in time (6:30-9:30). Ask the guy at the reception to set this for you the previous evening. Bathroom was clean and new, although a bit small. The room was nicely decorated (with Michelangelo replica poster) and had a direct view into the ruins located in the middle of piazza Fiume. When closed – the windows provided perfect isolation from the street noise, generated by the otherwise busy traffic.
Transport connectivity is quite good – there is a Metro stop 10 minutes away and Termini station is only 3 stops of all 6 different busses stopping 50 meters from the building on via Piava.
We’ve stayed there for 7 nights and we’ve enjoyed the stay. Something definitely worth mentioning is the exceptionally friendly staff. The guy there was always available to give us advice on where to buy and additional suitcase from, where to have nice dinner in a romantic place at a decent price, what would be the most optimal route to take in order to visit 5 different places the same day, which buses or other transport to take to get to a certain place, where not to shop, what is a reasonable price for the local ceramics, etc. It was exceptionally useful when he called us on the mobile phone roughly 15 minutes after we’ve left, to notify us about the keys and the mobile phone we’ve forgotten on the way home. I rushed back to collect them before going to the airport.
There are a number of great restaurants around - one pizzaria directly on the opposite side of the Piave street made the best lasagna we've had there. A small restaurant called "il Rifugio del Buttero" provided the best Napoli-style pizzas and other delicious Italian kitchen samples.
Of course you can always argue that the breakfast is the same every morning and that there are not gym and swimming pool in place, but practically looking – all we were looking for was a nice place to spend the nights at, at a decent price and ideally at a walking distance from the center. This is what we’ve got.
Augustus met those expectations quite well. It is by far not luxurious, but a very good deal for the money which I can recommend if you’re going to Rome for sightseeing.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank evilyeti
Reviewed November 8, 2008

This hotel was rated a 4* but i feel like most European Hotels this was more like a 3*. But, it has been renovated and everything was brand new. Bathroom small and room small but you are out most of the time and only need it for a shower and a sleep after that long day of walking!! Maps are available from the hotel FOC, Towels changed every day, hotel was very clean through out and close to Termini. There is no Tea making facilities in room. Do not get a taxi from the termini, it is only a few blocks away and you can walk there in 5 mins. We got the sitbus from ciampino airport for 6 euro takes you to Termini and then you have easy access to Metro and your COMFY shoes is a must.! You don't realise how much walking you do there. Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank stoneyMiltonKeynes
Reviewed November 26, 2007

November 26, 2007. I have just returned from Rome where I spent 6 wonderful days. I stayed at Augustus, a very enjoyable place where I had breakfasts in bed while marveling at the ancient Roman ruins right under my window. The room was spotless clean and quiet especially at night time. It had plazma TV with an easy and free-of-charge access to the Net. But what is the best feature about the hotel is its location, in the middle of everything and within walking distance. And finally a few words of praise for the staff, especially, Romano. I dont know what I would have done without their help and excellent knowledge of the city. They go out of their way to try to help a lone traveler, like me, who cannot but feel lost in a not-so-tourist friendly city like Rome. Thank you, Romano. One last word, about the price. I found this hotel thru comparing prices on the Internet offered by various travel agencies. Then I called the hotel directly and asked if they could accommodate me at the lowest price I could find, and they did. The only negative comment I can make, I wish the morning croissants could be fresh, not those commercial cellophane wrapped pieces of sweet bread. Elena, FRANCE

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sashazDivonne