“Great location”
Review of Hotel Ferraro

Hotel Ferraro
Ranked #1,086 of 3,709 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 6, 2007

Having read previous reviews on this hotel I was a little apprehensive about booking but could not find anywhere else to stay with such a great location and price. However on arrival I was pleasantly surprised. For a 2 star hotel it was clean and adequate. The en suite was very small but again adequate and the beds were very comfortable. Excellent location for the sights by foot and the metro less than 100 metres up the road.

Negatives were I had a room facing the Via Cavour and it was extremley noisey, you needed the air con on drown out the noise and the breakfast was not worth bothering with.

Other than that I would recommend this hotel for the price.

Rachael
England.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank rachaelmn
There are newer reviews for Hotel Ferraro

Reviewed September 13, 2007

I stayed in this hotel for one night on September 7, when the hotel I had booked for my stay in Rome - Hotel Paba (right across the hall from the Ferraro's rooms) - informed me a month before my arrival in Rome that there had been a mistake and my room was double-booked for the first night of my stay. Because of the proximity to the Paba, I agreed to stay at the Ferraro one night, even though it cost 15 euros more (115 for a double/single use compared to 100).

I traveled to 7 countries in 6 weeks and stayed in 11 total hotels, and this was by far the worst, especially considering the price - one of the most expensive places I stayed in. The room was not clean (I walked around barefoot once and had stuff on my feet), the bed was uncomfortable and you could feel the springs, there was no decoration of any kind whatsoever, the bathroom was tiny and the toilet/sink and shower were in the same (little) place, so the door to the bathroom was actually the shower door - this all made for a horrific mess. The room faced the busy Via Cavour but did not appear to have any kind of reinforced windows to help keep it quiet. There were next to no electrical outlets, and the lighting was dim and insufficient.

The air conditioning was remote-controlled and effective, but that is about the extent of the positive things I can say about this hotel. Additionally, the walls had all kinds of scrapes and bumps and things from luggage, showing that either this hotel or the room I had (#25) was badly neglected.

I will say that the woman running the hotel, I think Senora Pina, was a sweetheart. She answered any questions I had about the buses and was very nice. One thing was that she almost demanded being paid in cash. I was there only one night so it wasn't that big of a deal but if I had been there longer I would have made a stink about it because the hotel has multiple signs saying they take various credit cards.

For the price, this hotel was beyond disappointing, especially when I went across the hall the following day, paid 15 euros LESS, and had 5 times better accommodations. I actually sat next to an American guy at a pizzeria a couple nights later who had been to Rome before and said when he stayed at the Ferraro, it was 60 euros a night. It would be worth 60 euros a night, it was not worth anywhere near 115. I wasn't expecting 4-star accommodations, but I think for 115 euros a night, it is fair to expect a comfortable bed and a clean room. I've stayed at plenty of road-side motel 6s and the like in the US and they have all been cleaner and more comfortable than this hotel was, so it's not like I am hard to please or have unattainably high standards. The photos of the hotel on the hotel's website are also not at all representative of the room I got. Perhaps some rooms are nicer than others, which is unacceptable if the prices are the same!

I see the hotel's website advertises a breakfast buffet. but I wasn't told about it or where it was served (didn't see it in the hotel!) so if it's true that they offer breakfast, I can't fathom why I wasn't told about it.

The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location - down the street from both the Colosseum and Forum, and any bus you could possibly need, plus the metro, are all within a 5 minute walk. But the Paba right next door has the exact same location.

There are a ton of hotels in this area. Do not stay at this hotel unless you get a price much lower than what I paid. For the money, you can do better. The Hotel Paba (see my review under that hotel's listing) turned out to be wonderful; I just wish I could have stayed there all 5 nights and not have to spend one at the Ferraro. Perhaps my experience was different because I did not book the hotel myself - my original hotel did it for me, but it was done a month in advance and I was still a guest there paying them a very high amount of money, so there is no excuse if I got any different treatment or services, wasn't told about breakfast, wasn't given any maps or anything, etc. Unacceptable.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank debstah
Reviewed July 13, 2007

Just as every one else that wrote a review, we were booked to stay in a different hotel and were switched to the Ferraro upon our arrival without explaination. I wasn't happy about the situation at all. When I saw the hotel reception office (that isn't attached to the hotel and filled with smoke from some guy that stares at a computer screen all day), I demanded to see a room. Pina, the very nice woman that runs the hotel, showed me our rooms.

The furniture is pretty old and wasn't very nice even when it was new. The bathroom was interesting. The bathroom is the shower, but that is common in Europe and the Middle East. With all that, the hotel is very clean. The bed was very comfortable, the air conditioner was cold and we had a balcony overlooking Via Cavour.

We stayed there two nights before we traveled on to other places in Italy. Upon our return to Rome at the end of our trip, we made sure that we were booked into the Hotel Ferraro. We enjoyed it that much.

It's a basic hotel, and I would stay there again. Pina who runs things is a joy. She is so helpful and treats her guests like a five star hotel.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank Moonswitch
Reviewed October 15, 2006

We (1 adult, 2 kids – 11 and 13 yo) spent 4 nights (110 EUR/night). We were picked up/dropped off the airport (additional 80 EUR). Originally booked Dimora Storica Urbana Roma, we were given room here without explanation, but considering that it is much closer to restaurant and Colloseum & Forum, we didn’t object. The place is clean, confortable, good hard bed after the day of walking, very friendly staff, typical continental breakfast. Via Cavour is underneath the window, very noisy all 24h, ask for the room on the inside court (we are from New Zealand, it’s very quiet there). But everything you need is in that street – eateries, the best icecream, internet cafe, post office with ATM, pharmacy around the corner. It is very close to all Rome attractions. The room is decent size, bathroom small, but hey – you are paying less than anywhere else, so do not complain!

P.S. You CAN have a decent shower in the bathroom, it’s not that small …

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank KiwiInRome
Reviewed October 4, 2006

This small hotel is in an excellent location for many major historical sites in Rome, literally around the corner from the Colosseum and the Forum. Luckily I had written down the street number on Via Cavour, as like many hotels in Rome, there's only a small plaque on the wall, along with dentists and others, and I can imagine that if one was used to big hotels it could be a bit hard to find. It's tucked away inside an old palazzo, with the quaintest lift (elevator). Original impressions are that everything is pretty small, with rather cramped reception facilities, but the double room was very generously sized by Italian hotel standards. With its own quite large bathroom (i.e., big enough for two people to be in at the one time), it felt positively luxurious. There was no view, just the back of another building, but the upside of this was that the room was very quiet, again not what I had expected. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the airconditioner worked, and the windows actually opened. Breakfast (included) involves a short walk around the corner to a local winebar, which was unusual. Good breakfast though, and the view of the Colosseum up the laneway was an added bonus. At night the view of the Colosseum, lit up from the inside, is sensational.
Just over the road are several delicatessens selling gorgeous pannini and other Italian delights, so those on a budget have the option of eating very cheaply. There are also several restaurants within 100 metres, all quite reasonably priced and very pleasant. There's an Internet shop just a few doors down, and ATMs very handy.
As a base for Roman exploration, this hotel really is excellent value and I would recommend it for those who aren't looking for (or who can't afford) high-end accommodation in Rome (about 100 Euros a night).

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank balhannah
Reviewed October 1, 2006

We originally booked for B&B Dimorca in Rome as we specifically wanted to stay along Via Cavour. Turns out that the address linked to the hotel was for a reception office for several B&B's and other hotels, including Hotel Ferraro. At this time we were told that we couldn't stay at the B&B as it was being renovated (nice considering they accepted our booking 5 weeks earlier).

We were then placed in a room in this hotel. There was no possible way that I could allow my parents to stay there. The shower nozzle was directly over the toilet - to shower, one basically had to stand with one leg on either side of the toilet (making sure that the lid was down). When I explained that there was no way my parents could stay there (after being in the room for 15 minutes), they charged me for a night.

I am currently trying to track the owners of this company down so that they can be reported to the Italian Tourism Board.

• Stayed: September 2006
3  Thank Kirragirl
Reviewed September 27, 2006

We have just returned and have to say the lady who ran the hotel was terrific. We got lost on arrival and she came and picked us up from a cafe. She also arranged taxis at no extra cost.

We were very vary as it was only allocated one star but the service was 5 star.

The room was clean and tidy and towels replaced every day. If you wanted anything, you only had to ask.

Well situated for colloseum and forum and within walking distance of other major attractions, as well as being situated between 2 metro stops.

Wouldn't hesitate to go back to Ferraro Hotel if returning to Rome.

Stayed: September 2006