“Excellent value, wonderful hosts”
Review of Welrome Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rome
Welrome Hotel
Ranked #585 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed June 20, 2010

The downsides: hard beds, super noisy, small showers- however this was our experience in almost all our Italian hotels so expect it unless you're paying a lot more. The staff of the hotel was excellent, giving us almost too much information on where to go and what to see! They were helpful and courteous throughout our stay and were genuinely concerned that we were comfortable and happy. The hotel was an excellent value, very clean and well appointed for a budget hotel. I have recommended it to several friends since our stay. Perfectly positioned for siteseeing pretty much everything in Rome, we were able to walk to nearly all our destinations in less than half an hour. No breakfast but who needs it with several inexpensive cafes nearby for a shot of espresso and a pastry?

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Welrome Hotel

Reviewed June 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Welrome last May, and as someone who likes to give good reviews and generally hesitates on giving reviews that aren't stellar, I didn't review Welrome right away. But now after seeing that Welrome is the #1 out of over 1,200 hotels in Rome, I feel the need to provide my review. (Because for me, tripadvisor is pretty much the only way that I choose a hotel for a trip.)
Welrome was an ok hotel. I chose it after reading reviews on tripadvisor (I believe last year it was maybe #8 out of all hotels in Rome.) It was the first hotel we were in in Rome, and to be honest, I was a little bit disappointed. The hotel in itself is fine. There are no huge problems with it, although it isn't a luxury hotel by any means (but we knew that going into it.) The location is, I would say, ok. It's not the best location in Rome but it's not terrible either. The Termini Station area is a little sketchy, although my husband and I walked around at night and didn't feel all that scared.
Mary de Rosa is...a very very nice woman. She's just a little too helpful. We arrived after a very very long night and day of traveling from New York. We just wanted to get into our room and crash. Mary took out a map and showed us every place in Rome that we needed to go to. After 45 minutes when we were about to fall asleep standing up, we had to ask to be shown to our room. When we would come in late (after 11 pm), Carlo (the male who works there....I'm not sure if it's Mary's husband or not?) would very in a very exaggerated fashion tell us to, "Sshhhhhhhhh!"
I think that after spending so much time planning the trip and reading reviews on tripadvisor, we were overly spoiled in the other hotels we stayed in in Italy (Hotel Vecchio Asilo in Tuscany, B&B 3C in Venice, B&B Giovy in Rome (which I would actually recommend over and above Welrome). They were all really wonderful, and although Welrome was decent, it was probably the worst one that we stayed in.
It's just....ok. Not great, not terrible.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank WesternNYTraveler
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We selected this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews. I was perhaps a little sceptical given that Welrome is such a small hotel. However, all of the reviews are accurate - the hotel is very comfortable and clean, the location is good (both for arrival by train but also in terms of easy access to key tourist sites) and Mary and Carlos are outstanding hosts. The property is 2 star so this needs to be kept in mind - if you want 5* standard then pay the 5* price. However, the service and standard of the hotel far exceeds that of a standard Rome 2* hotel and I would personally stay here over a much more expensive hotel if I was to visit Rome again.

Highly recommend.

1  Thank kevinpng
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We spent 3 nights at the Welrome Hotel with Mary and Carlo at the first of May. Before making our reservation we read all of the reviews, and I can assure you, the comments are accurate. It's all true! We must thank Mary and Carlo for helping to make our stay in Rome so enjoyable.

1  Thank Semi-retiredOntario
Reviewed May 14, 2010

All the other reviews I have read are true. The Welrome Hotel lived up to its reputation of being a welcome, friendly place. Mary and Carlo were informative and concerned about our vacation. They really wanted us to have a good time and save money. Two remarkable things they did for us: when they realized that we could not get wireless internet in our room because the signal was weak, they bought a booster which plugged into the wall in our room and gave us what we needed. It turned out that we really needed to use the internet as we were stranded in Rome during one of the volanic eruptions. Mary and Carlo made sure we could stay, and the second remarkable thing: they even reduced the price of the room after my son got an earlier flight back the the USA. Many other hotels in Italy were jacking up their prices while Mary and Carlo were busy accommodating our needs at a very fair price. I would happily stay here again. Thank you, Mary and Carlo, for taking care of our family!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank lelgil
Reviewed May 10, 2010

Before we even got to the hotel Mary had recommended various places to visit. We were so glad she did as we booked the tour to visit the Necropolis under the Basilica well in advance and the tour on the day was superb.
The hotel itself is easy to find following Marys instructions and is approx 10 mins from the termini. We took the train from the airport costing 30Euros for the 2 of us, the trains was very busy so we had to stand for the 30 minute journey. For our return we took a taxi costing 55euros.
Location wise, the hotel was fairly central, and a walk to the Colesseum, Roman Forum, Pantheon was approx 20-25 mns.
My hubby and I visited Rome for our wedding aniversary and Mary arrived with a small bottle of champagne after we had checked in and the following day (our anniversary) we returned from our sight-seeing to find sugar almond flowers by our bed.
Mary and Carlos couldnt do enough to recommend places to visit and gave us routes to follow on free maps they kindly provided. On a wet morning Mary even lent me her umbrella so we wouldnt get wet.
We had Pantheon room which had double bed and ensuite bathroom. The room wasnt large but was perfectly adequate for our needs. The bed was made up daily and towels also changed daily. Coffee and tea is provided in the room. Our room faced the street but after closing the shutters and the double glazed windows the street noise was minimal. Breakfast is not included but every morning we were left croissant and juice in a basket outside our room. The hotel has only 7 rooms and we didnt have any noise from our neighbours. The hotel also offered free wifi which was great for keeping in touch with our family.
We ate out every night and would definately recommend the Restaurant Wanted which is situated on Via Leonina close to the Colosseum, they do fab pizzas and soups and is reasonably priced for Rome. There is a Hard rock Cafe close by but unfortunately was very busy by the time we arrived and we couldnt get a table.
Would definately recommend a stay here, the owners go out of their way to try and make your stay perfect

2  Thank Sue P
Reviewed April 29, 2010

There are so many outstanding reviews for this hotel. It is all true. The room was very clean and even under the beds. My boys were all over the floor and did not have an ounce of dirt on them. The room was also very sound proof from the outside traffic.
Mary and Carlos treat you like family. They made sure we had all the information we needed for our daily outings. Each morning we had juice and rolls to eat. They even allowed us to use the room after we had checked out. You won't get that from a big hotel!
Don't hesitate to book this hotel. It is a gem!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family