All reviewsterrace roomwalking distancestayed for one nighthistorical sitescroissantstea and coffeeexcellent locationmajor attractionsroma termini
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Our experience at The Opera Hotel was great -- from all standpoints.

My new wife and I just spent four days on our honeymoon at The Opera Hotel in September 2010, on the recommendation of close Roman friends. I speak good Italian and have traveled extensively in Italy, and have stayed in places ranging from fleabag hotels in Palermo to the Danieli in Venice. I also worked at a luxury hotel earlier in my career, so I know what standards are appropriate in nice hotels. The Opera Hotel does not charge expensive room rates, but its standards are definitely on the high end and it overachieves at pretty much everything. It is an exceptional value.

At The Opera Hotel, the rooms and common areas were impeccably clean; the service was pleasant, prompt and discreet; the rooms were generously sized and very pleasantly appointed. The hotel is located on the Via Nazionale, a well traveled street close to pretty much all of Rome's attractions -- but the hotel rooms have double-paned glass so the rooms were extremely quiet. (I refer to "rooms" because we stayed in two different rooms, due to my own bungled scheduling of our dates....we changed rooms on the final night, so we were both on the 4th floor initially, and then on the 3rd floor). We slept with no interruptions of any kind. The rooms are all air-conditioned, which can be a life-saver in Rome even into the fall, when the heat and humidity can be high (especially for Americans who are used to A/C and expect it).

The hotel could be described as a small, friendly, appealing boutique hotel -- with very attractive, modern, comfortable furnishings and ambiance.

One of my pet peeves in Italian hotels in years past has been maids banging around in the hallways in the morning hours, presumably trying to arouse travelers to vacate their rooms so that maids can do their cleaning service in the rooms. This was NOT the case at The Opera, which was quiet throughout our stay. In fact, the hotel only has a few rooms per floor, and although the hotel was fully booked (hence our need to change rooms), I rarely heard or saw anyone in the hallways at all.

The hotel serves breakfast on the 5th floor roof terrace, and this is a lovely place to start the day. There are cereal options, croissants, crostata di marmelata options, in addition to juice, coffee, tea and most anything else you would want in the morning.

I am trying to think of some shortcomings to mention here....I can think of none. Our stay at the Opera Hotel was a pleasure all-around, and I intend to stay there the next time I get to Rome.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I would absolutely stay here again. The rooms are small but perfectly adequate, especially for the price. I was completely comfortable and content in this hotel. My room was only 90 euros per night and this included breakfast and free internet access. My room had two floor to ceiling windows and raised ceilings. Wonderful!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Just back from 7 night stay. This hotel is a great location and superb base. The room was comfortable, clean and spacious. Lack of coffee making facilities disappointing and TV signal very poor (only 1 English channel too), neither bothered us as Espresso available everywhere locally and cheap and there's too much to see to worry about TV! Each day we returned to superbly cleaned room. A fridge is in the room offering a minibar and we left our own drinks in here which caused no issues. Bathroom spacious with marble walk-in shower. A few things to mention, the hotel is situated on a main high street between shops, there is no signage on the front door so look for the flags above eye level. Room had excellent airconditioning, which actually proved too good after three days but it can be fully manually operated. Finally the key operates the power so if you need to charge items or you are in your room without the key the power goes off(except airconditioning and fridge). Staff very helpful. Website also links to Roman Candle Tours whom we used for private Vatican tour which was outstanding. Thus hotel is a real gem, perfectly located 10 minutes from train station and tour buses and 10 minutes from Coloseum, Trevi Fountain and the main centre. We didn't have the breakfast package so cannot comment on food however the breakfast area was served on a lovely, but small roof terrace.

Reviewed July 21, 2010

This hotel exceeded our expectations. We arrived at the hotel in the morning and they were able to accommodate our early check in. Upon arrival, we had to bring our luggage up a small flight of stairs to the reception desk however there is a small elevator that took us to the floor where our rooms were located. The building is beautiful with marble staircases and the location on Via Nazionale is ideal and within walking distance to the Termini Train Station, the Piazza della Reppublica, the Trevi Fountain, the Vittorio Emanuele Monument, Colosseum, etc. The rooms are modern with flat screen tvs and a comfortable bed. Our room faced the street but was very quiet at night and we slept well. The bathrooms have great shower heads that apply strong water pressure and the air conditioning is excellent! The rooms also have free Internet which is very convenient. The best part of our stay however was due to a lovely woman working there named Julia. She is amazing, kind, and helpful and makes an amazing cappuccino!!!! The Opera Hotel provides a complimentary breakfast to all of its guests on the balcony and Julia was there every morning to greet us and made us the most wonderful cappuccino to start our day. She also cleaned all the rooms and did an excellent job. We were a group of friends traveling together and she made the same impression on all of us. The front desk was also helpful and Valentina and Tiziana did everything possible to make sure we had a pleasant stay. For the level of service, modern style of room, strong air conditioning, and excellent location we thought it was a great value and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank bellafarfalla
Reviewed June 28, 2010

A friend recommended this place to us for our recent 4 night stay in Rome and I'd definitely pass on the recommendation to others too. It's quite a small hotel, guessing approx 12 rooms with a lovely roof top terrace for breakfast on the 5th floor, so you start your day away from the hustle and bustle of the city streets. Our room wasn't massive though reasonable by other Rome hotel standards and very nicely set out with designer touches. With the summer in full force outside, the airconditioning and black out curtains were great for a relaxing afternoon siesta or late sleep ins too! Being a small hotel you avoid all the corporate, chain hotel feel though as a result you don't have some of the things you may be used to such as room service or a computers in lobby to use etc.
Highly recommend!