“Beware of this hotel and the area.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barcelo Aran Blu

Barcelo Aran Blu
Ranked #408 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Omaha
“Beware of this hotel and the area.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in December a few years ago and since we were virtually the only group in the hotel our service and the rooms were fine so when we needed another early morning airport departure we decided to use this hotel again. We arrived via coach about 7:00 PM and while checking into the hotel pickpockets managed to take my purse which I had placed on the counter next to me. A family came up to my right and interrupted the clerk with questions. Of course I turned to look at them for the moment. When they finished the clerk turned her attention back to me and finished. As I gathered my key and luggage I noticed my purse was gone and so was the family. I asked the desk clerk to call the police which she said she would, then I proceeded to my room to begin calling banks and credit card companies. An hour or so later I returned to the front desk to ask when the police were coming and the clerk replied that she had never called them. I again asked her to call them and she said she would so they could view the hotel video along with hotel security the next day. I got up early the next day to see the rest of my group off at the airport and begin my long task of getting a new passport. Before leaving I asked the morning desk clerk when the police were coming to view the video and he was not even aware of what had happened. The night clerk had never mentioned anything to him. Upon return from my trip to the Embassy in Rome the Hotel Manager was present along with the clerk from the night before. I asked again when the police would be coming. The Manager knew nothing of the incident as the clerk failed to mention anything to him. Again I asked that the police be called and waited in my room. After another hour of waiting I returned to the front desk where upon the Manager now informed me that their video was in Rome and would have to be viewed there by the police. In utter disgust I retired to my room resigned to the fact that the hotel would do nothing. They never showed any sign of empathy or horror over the fact this happened in their hotel. They never offered any assistance or support. Most importantly they lied repeatedly regarding police followup for the incident.

Please beware of this hotel. Upon closer inspection of the lobby area I noticed that doors from the lobby to the back of the hotel are constantly left open making entrance and escape for thieves readily accessible. This also provides accessibility to the elevators and stairway to the rooms. The security lock on my door did not work and some of the others in my group also mentioned
theirs didn't lock either. I felt very uncomfortable staying in this hotel by myself for another night given the horrible security and no care attitude of the staff. I will never return to this hotel again and I hope this serves to warn others who may consider using this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank WanderlustOmaha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had a longer than expected stay at Aran Blu, but the staff always did their best to assist us and nothing seemed to be a problem. They would also make us lattes in the morning for a small fee, which was a bonus. The rooms are a medium size, with a balcony. You can open the door for fresh air or sit outside at the table to send an email in the sunshine. Free wifi is available in the hotel reception area and a free PC available to use nearby.
Aran Blu is just outside the free beach at Lido di Ostia, not far from Ostia Antica or from Porto Turistica di Roma. Despite being close to the airport at Fiumincino, we were never bothered by noise. It is a short trip to the airport in a taxi. There are two local buses (#1 or #62), which are right around the corner will take you to the Ostia Centro station to Ostia Antica or Rome.
Cafes just metres away at Porto Turistica and many more restaurants about a kilometre away.
We would definitely stay here again, thanks to the lovely staff. This was our second stay.
We stayed at a hotel in Fiumincino, closer to the airport, but the rooms were tiny compared to Aran Blu, so the taxi is a bit more expensive but worth it for me.

Room Tip: We stayed on the back, but it would have been nice to have a sea view room, if your budget extends t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We booked this after a cruise, and just wanted a clean room close to the airport for an early flight the next day. Booked a back side room as we had seen the ocean for 7 days, and €25 savings. The hotel advertised shuttle service was not available, and a €40 taxi from and a €32 taxi to the airport was our reward. The hotel itself is fairly new, modern and nicely decorated. The location is good, across the street from the beach, there are several restaurants and shops close by. Which is good because the restaurant/bar in the hotel is apparently seasonal. Not open in April. WiFi is available for free in one corner of the lobby only. Good luck. The room on the backside we had faced an apartment building, very close. Could hear conversation from apartments, and barking dogs, all night. Well, at least we could get a nice shower and be refreshed for the long flight home. Wrong. The shower would alternately scald you and then just go ahead and put some nice cold water on your new 1st degree burn for you. I am used to some temperature fluctuations in hotels, it is not uncommon. This was the worst I have seen. One elevator was inoperative. The hair dryer in the room (wired directly to the wall) was inoperative. Unsure of the quality of other hotels in the area, but we will surely try something else next time.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JPetzoldt

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel because they claim to offer shuttle service to the airport. The morning we were leaving, I confirmed with the gentleman at the desk that there would be a shuttle waiting for us, he said there would be. After waiting twenty minutes, I asked the woman at the desk how much longer he would be, she said he was on the way. They both tried many times to get in touch with the driver with no luck. He finally called back to tell them that no one had told him he was needed and wouldn't be coming. I speak Italian fluently and I understood the whole conversation between them. The young woman at the desk then lied and said the driver was in an accident and was running late and suggested we take a taxi, luckily we had a few Euros left. When I confronted her about lying and told her that I speak Italian and understood everything, she was mortified and said she thought it was better to lie then tell me he wasn't coming. Overall was not impressed with this hotel and not to mention we had to ask for another room upon checking in because the first room they gave us had not been cleaned!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CLU77
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We booked the Aran Blu as it was described as an airport hotel on the site we booked it through, it is not.
It is about a 15 minute, 25 euro taxi to the airport, which is fine if you know beforehand.
The town of Ostia is apparently a popular holiday resort for people from Rome, but from our walk around the town it is mainly residential.
If you leave the hotel and turn right to the marina, it is beautiful, lots of shops and lovely restaurants.
As for the hotel, our room, 409, was lovely, immaculate with a stunning sea view.
The staff are very welcoming and helpful.
My only possible complaint would be that there was no English speaking channel on the TV.
If we needed a transit hotel for the airport again, I would definitely book the Aran Blu.

Room Tip: Any room with a sea view will be superb, preferably on floor 3 or 4.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael F
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I booked on line and knowing the Hiltons at Rome airport I wanted to have somewhere close and different,there is a pickup service but do not rely on it,the drive was about 10 minutes from the airport and it was located right across from the Marina and sandy beaches.Of modern construction and with two wings from a central reception,Glass and marble,very clean and tidy and a lovely welcome.My budget room was clean and had all I needed but it was rear facing and with frosted glass,seaview are a little more but were all taken.there is a small and tidy restaurant open for breakfast but otherwise no other in house facilities.The beach access is across the street and plentiful beachfront restaurants via the promenade to the left and the Marina to the right with an out of place but popular Mac Donalds.The hotel staff were charming the rooms clean and bright all good points,I would be happy to stay there again.

My only negative comments are worth paying attention to as I ventured out in the side streets at the back of the hotel,the town was not so much a town but blocks of low cost housing,dirty streets with slogans and grafiti and not such pleasant looks from the locals,hardly anything open,until I had walked back to the seafront and there are some quite good places as long as you stay on the seafront,at night the side streets could be a no go area.The hotel was a breath of fresh air.

Room Tip: Pay the supplement for a seaview,its great looking out to sea................
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank talentpicker
Edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Where to start really. The website picture is a bit misleading as the hotel is one room and one corridor thick. If you don't have a sea view (50% of the roms) then you are face to face with the occupants of the apartment 20 feet away on their balcony across the street behind the hotel. We arrived around 8.00pm after a long drive and were looking forward to a meal in the Blu restaurant rather than a late search through the town for a suitable place to eat. The restaurant was busy and noisy but when we asked to book a table we were informed with no apparent awareness of the irony involved that yes it was open but only for the coach party of Italian visitors from Milan.The receptionist had to be further prompted to recommend a nearby restaurant in the marina whose entrance was handily placed just across the street. There was a McDonalds but on closer inspection of the marina there were three other restaurants available. The room was very stylish and very comfortable with a large balcony overlooking the busy street , narrow beach and Marina entrance.The hotel is a long walk from the centre of Ostia which is not really a big disadvantage as theer is little to see there. In fact the Marina was a bit of a saving grace as it is an easy walk from the hotel. It is however rather soul-less. Visit Ostia Antica and only use this place for one night.

Room Tip: Get a sea view on the top floor to keep above the traffic as it is a busy street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Calderman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rome
Hotel La Scaletta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,005 reviews
Belvedere Century
Belvedere Century
#3 of 6 in Lido di Ostia

Been to Barcelo Aran Blu? Share your experiences!