“A great stay and I would like to return”
Review of Matisse B&B

Matisse B&B
Ranked #1,672 of 3,621 Rome B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“A great stay and I would like to return”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Matisse and really enjoyed it! There were lots of stairs, so be prepared for tired legs after a long day of sight seeing.
It's a B&B in the european style. What that means it the kitchen is available for use. Most european breakfasts are not the bacon and eggs that Americans are used to. Breakfast is a pastry, yogurt, coffee and maybe juice.
The owner was very accommodating. We liked the location. It felt safe at night. If we ever make it back to Rome I would definantly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I really enjoyed everything during my stay at Matisse.
My room was clean,quiet and cozy. Cleaning lady cleans up everyday, double-glazed window ensures very good night's sleep, 24 hours free breakfast and free internet gives all the conveniences I could wish for. I LOVE the tiramisu, the croissant and the yoghourt they offered and the important thing is that you can go to pick one whenever you want to. That makes me feel home!
The fontain at the entrance is very adorable and I was really fascinated by the delicate interior design of the living room (couldn't stop taking pictures of all the wall decorations!).
The owner, Roberto, is very friendly and warmhearted. He even told me that I can choose any empty room I want or move to any other Matisse, if I am not fully satisfied with their arrangement. He gave me so many useful advice and recommendations and was always there when I have questions and troubles.
The whole neighborhood is so beautiful. In front of the hotel is an elegant church and everytime I went out the hotel gate and saw Monumento Emanele II from far, I knew this is all I wished for.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nanapeach
Ponte Vedra, FL
Reviewed September 23, 2010

We arrived in Rome and got to our hotel, Matisse B & B. We like staying in B & B's, they are usually more cosy and friendly. We rang the bell and a woman told us to she would be right down. A man soon greeted us - his name was Roberto, and he was very strange. He told us we could check into this location but there is no elevator and no en suite bathrooms. That's not the information I received from the internet and NYT review.
He then went on to explain he had another location he will take us to by taxi. We all got in a cab and went to the other hotel. On route he proceeded to tell us how hard it would be to get around Rome from the first location, as taxi's are very hard to get. He hen told us we could take the very convienent bus lines 64 and 40 from the new location.Unfortunately we had just read our "10 things to avoid in Rome" from our trusted eyewitness guide book, which clearly stated avoid the 64 an 40 bus lines as these are targets for pick pockets and gypseys. We were now getting a little concerned. When we arrived at the other hotel, we were shocked to find what this man called the better hotel. It was a floor in an office building in a sketchy area. It was more like a youth hostel than a hotel and had holes in the bedspreads and plywood furniture. Sensing our displeasure, he then verbally attacked me for being an "American Princess" and only wanting to stay in 4 or 5 star hotels! After the shock, I kindly informed him this was false advertising, and I didn't appreciate his rude behavior. In short, there is some kind of scam going on here as we had to put a deposit down when we booked. Funnily enough I didn't have to do a deposit on the other hotels we booked for our trip. We are in the process of getting the charge reversed. But, be aware of the SCAM!!
Also- it is very easy to hail a cab in Rome. I wonder what was going on with this guy? Hated Americans or just us?

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank DenisePonteVedra_FL
Bogota
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My boyfriend and I had a lovely time at Matisse. The staff could not have been more helpful and recommended some great local restaurants. Great location and really great value. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Daisy O
Gainesville, FL
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Many times you just check in, sleep, and check out. You never really get to know the people. Traveling should be different. In the Matisse you get to know the staff and they help you and make you feel like if you can conquer all of Rome! The price is great, especially if you can use the money you save to explore the city or even eat! The location is ideal close to main areas of interest. If you do not like to walk the metro is less than 5 min away (well i guess it depends on your walking speed lol). Thanks to the Matisse I had an unforgettable trip. I would return here next time. Fun travels to all!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank 1bkpkr
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2010

This is a excellent choice for anybody visiting Rome. Right near the Termini and Via Nazionale, it offers the perfect springboard from which to explore Rome's many offerings. The rooms are clean and spacious and the decor gives a very Roman ambiance. The host, Roberto, was very welcoming and generous and pointed us in the direction of many restaurants and attractions. We will definitely be staying here again if we return to Rome.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alfieatthelse
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Roberto was so hospital and generous. I travelled with my niece Renee and we loved our 2 bedroom apartment close to the Termini. Ren found this gem and we were so happy with her find.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family