“Clean and comfortable with cheerful staff”
Review of Hotel Diocleziano

Hotel Diocleziano
Ranked #48 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
“Clean and comfortable with cheerful staff”
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

We arrived late at night having had the journey from hell but the duty manager Theodore was helpful and got us a much needed drink from the bar. Our room was well appointed very clean, relatively quiet and had windows that opened a rarity nowadays! Whilst the bed was firmer than we would have liked it was of good quality. Next morning a very reasonable breakfast awaited us with freshly squeezed orange juice and freshly made scrambled eggs. All the staff without exception were cheerful and nothing was too much trouble. Whilst the hotel is not in the best area it's not in the worst either and is very close to the main station in Rome and the underground. All in all a very good experience and I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank myholidayhints

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bakerton
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We selected this place specifically because it was near the Rome Train station, nice neighborhood, and near local attractions that we could walk or take the subway to. The hotel is next door to ruins, so we assumed the area would be nice and quiet. The staff were efficient, polite, pulled double duty if needed to get the guests the services they needed.

The lobby has a sweet little bar in the evenings and behind the bar, in the morning, the same side of the hotel opens up to a nice large breakfast room. The morning breakfast was good strong espresso or American Coffee and a selection of breakfast items, eggs, toast, sticky buns, coffee, that would satisfy most American expectations.

The hotel room, 101, was very clean and neat. It featured a large bathroom and shower. Our window faced the street and had wooden shutters that we could pull shut to keep out light but allow air in.

We are walkers so we headed out on foot to the famous Spanish Steps, to people watch, who were watching other people; not too exciting.

Walked over to the Pantheon, a structure dedicated to all the gods of ancient Rome, and was able to walk inside to view its remarkable overhead opening to the sky where light and rain has entered through the round opening since 118 AD.

Took the subway over to the Colosseum. The stage flooring was being restored so visitors could imagine how the large amphitheater was supposed to function.

Took local transit tour busses located near our hotel, over to the Vatican. Was worth the wait just to see the famous art in the Sistine Chapel and witness the vibrant restoration of the ceiling colors that just popped and were vivid. Enjoyed a lunch in the nearby neighborhood outside like most cafes.

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a room that faces the front of the property if sunlight is important to yo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hafe
Auburn Hills, Michigan
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed at this Hotel for a total of three nights and we were very impressed.
The location is great, just a few minutes walk from the Termini Station. The hotel staff is very customer friendly - they allowed us to check in early, had great tours, maps and restaurant suggestions handy. They also let us keep our big bags in the locker room for one night since we were travelling outside of Rome.
The room that we had was quiet, neat & cozy. They had a complimentary mini bar in the room which was refilled everyday. The complimentary breakfast is ample, has a lot of variety and is very neatly served.
All in all it was a great experience and I would gladly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ash R
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Hotel is a short walk from the train station. Rooms are clean and very quiet; no city noise. Breakfast was Awesome! View from the balcony was fantastic. Staff was friendly and helpful and gave good restaurant recommendations. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2014

A good central location very close to the main train and bus station. Suprisingly quite as the hotel is so close to a busy area. A well maintained and furnished hotel. All the hotel staff were polite and helpful and went out of their way to make our stay as pleasant as possible. The breakfasts were ample and varied. We would definately recommend this hotel and look forward to staying their again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My first visit to Rome and I'm so pleased with the hotel & the staff I'm hoping to visit again soon.
Just 2 mins walk from Termini station it was very handy when traveling.
When we arrived were told we had been upgraded to the superior room 103 (which we had read about on other reviews) and I couldnt believe it! The veranda was LOVELY, it felt like having 3 rooms! A warm night outside with some vino was all I needed to relax. It sounds strange but I really wish we could have spent more time at the hotel! They had a sauna and gym area I didnt even get to try.
Our minibar was refilled everyday which was great as we never needed to stop in a shop on our way out, and the bathroom was lovely - the room was made up everyday and the hotel in general was spotless. The bed may seem hard for some but to be honest I woke up better there than at home.
Sadly due to busy days we only got to have breakfast once on the last morning but again I can not fault it, so much choice I was standing there for ages trying to decide what I wanted. The freshly poured juice was a great addition and the staff were more than helpful.
I'd like to say another thankyou to everyone there it was a great visit and made our trip so much eaiser. Each morning we ordered a cab to take us to the different sites and it was there within 30 seconds. I'll stop now as there's too much I could say but please don't hesitate and give it a try, you will not be disapointed. I have some pictures that I will add as soon as I get a chance.
Thank you so much!!
From Donna

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed March 10, 2014

This was my first trip to Rome and I only wished I had chosen to stay there longer. The hotel was very nice and the staff was the best that I had out of all the places I went during my European vacation.The hotel is very close to the train station which was where my hop on hop off bus met. Also I had a view of the Spanish Baths from my window. The free mini bar was a Godsend after a long day of sightseeing. It wasn't close to the major sites but I think in the end that was a good thing. The beds were very comfortable and they even had a sauna i wanted to visit but just ran out of time. Overall Rome has my heart and so does this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends