“Excellent!”

Ranked #49 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights, best hotel in our italy trip. Very close to termini and you can reach hotel easily even dragging your luggage. VERY Friendly and helpful staffs, great breakfast. Should rate 6 out of 5.

1 Thank George K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Its not a Five star hotel but its a great four star and deserves a 5 star accolade for its service, rooms and location. The rooms are a decent size, very well furnished and decorated with every comfort and if you like hard beds you will be in sleep heaven. The service is extraordinary starting with the lovely Doreen at the front desk, totally bilingual and so very helpful along with all of her colleagues and the great porter staff, over to the room attendants and the breakfast staff with Imelda etc....that start ones day off with a huge smile and amazingly good service ( and the breakfast itself is great with fresh orange juice squeezed in front of you and eggs cooked any way you want).

The location is okay being in the centre of Rome with easy access to everything but the actual streets around the hotel I would classify as functional rather than classy!!! A few okay but not great restaurants and shops but plenty of public transport.

You cant help but be satisfied staying here. Its an extremely well run very small hotel part of a larger group of smaller hotels and the service does match the large investment they obviously made in the property.

We shall return....!

Room Tip: Best to try the superior rooms with a lovely jacuzzi in the bathroom
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ron F
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I were in Rome for 10 nights and we had the pleasure of staying at this small hotel. The location is what swayed it for us, as it is situated just a few minutes walk from one of the main train stations where buses, taxis and also the metro runs from. You can get to just about anywhere in Rome (or Italy I think) from that station. Thankfully the hotel is very quiet though and is not affected by noise pollution. Our room was exceptionally clean and had a comfortable bed and a small refrigerator with cool drinks. It was well maintained, clean and functional. The staff are fantastic and are a fountain of knowledge about anything to do with Rome. They made us feel very welcome and big shout out to all of them. We had an amazing trip and can happily recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret W
Farnborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We arrived at the hotel on the Friday lunchtime on a hot day. We were informed that our room would not be ready for an hour and offered complementary drinks of our choice. The hotel has air conditioning so we had coffee in a lovely cool lounge. We were then shown to our room, this was the VIP room with a balconey they had upgraded us at we were there for our 40th Wedding aniversary. The staff were extremely helpfull nothing was too much. Our room was always clean and fresh, when we returned in the late afternoon. It was very warm while we were there and the luxury of air condition in our room was a pure joy. All I have left to say is you should try it, I won't forget it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We found the hotel nice though the rooms appeared at first glance to be very small but later we got used to the size.The bathroom was just the right size with excellent shower.Initially I was put off by the lady at the reception but then I realised this was just her personality and not a deliberate attempt to be rude On our last day in Rome very sportingly posed for a photo I took of her for keepsake.Breakfast was good with very friendly Mary Lou willing to help.Others at the reception were helpful too. It is centrally located with nice eating places closeby.Unlike some others who have reviewed the hotel, I did not find the bed hard. In fact it was nice and functional hotel and soon felt at home here. If expectations are very high as it is supposed to be a four star hotel then one is in for a disappointment. My only humble request to the hotel is please add a few extra chairs in your lounge afte all one can't hold a conversation by sitting on two sofas which are placed in a straight line. There are some uncomfortable stools under the table opposite to these sofas pulling them out was a chore.Our rooms had only one chair - space was limited.

Room Tip: Maybe the one with a terrace, We never had much time to sit in our respective rooms we were on the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank manmohinikaul
RomeGR, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Diocleziano, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time in writing your opinion on our establishment.

We are glad that you have found our location comfortable to explore the area and that you particularly liked Mary Lou’s Service. We will make sure to pass on your kind words to her.
Regarding the receptionist you met at check in, we are relieved to understand that the whole matter was only caused by cultural difference and that you realized that her attitude was not meant to offend you in any way. Many appreciate her forthrightness approach and her vitality but we do understand that sometimes when personalities are different her attitude might clash with that of our Guests. We only would like to highlight the fact that nobody so far has reported perceiving her manners as rude in any way, just very friendly, but we understand your point of you and we are glad that all doubts have been washed away.

As per your note on the room we would only like to specify that you had booked a Double Room and were in fact upgraded to a large one so that you could be more comfortable during you stay. Furthermore, and in order reassure our future customers, we only would like to clarify that all our rooms are fully equipped with the essential comforts of hotel rooms, such as chairs, a table and, depending on the room, a sofa. Also, all rooms are described on selling website with pictures and a list of amenities included in it. We always try to assign the best available rooms to our Guests and, depending on availability on the day of arrival, even upgrade them. We understand that this small touch may change completely someone’s stay and we really do our outmost to accommodate any request we receive.

Regarding the lift, and for our clients’ benefit, please note that this is fully functional and has a regular speed. Regarding its width, since the hotel has only 35 rooms, we have decided to implement one which would be fit for the daily traffic of a small business; therefore we opted for one which may carry up to five people instead of six.

Coming now to the lounge, we are sorry that you did not find it comfortable to relax in, however we would like to underline the fact that there are not only two sofas available but also two poufs so that people may talk face to face. Furthermore, our staff is always ready to help in case of the need to move them around.

Finally, we are glad that you have managed to enjoy your stay and we do hope that you will be coming back in the future. Maybe next time you will be able to book the VIP Suite and enjoy the view over the Diocletian Baths.
Loughborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week. This was my fourth trip to Rome and the first time at this hotel.
The day I arrived I was given room 2 being told that as I had booked a room on a higher floor I could if I wished change the next morning. I liked the room so I unpacked. When arriving back at the hotel that night I was informed by the receptionist that I would have to move the next morning as the room was booked for a disabled client. I did this however I did not get an apology or a thank you.
The hotel was well placed, clean.
The staff on the whole efficient however not as friendly towards me as others have reported.
Breakfast was poor bacon and sausages cut into small pieces and the egg was dry. One day mixed vegetables were served which included carrots. I had to use a glass for my milk with my tea as no milk jugs presented not good for a four star hotel.
The beds were very hard too.
On the day I checked out I attempted to pay my bill with both my credit and debit card however the machine did not work. This led to me rushing to the nearest bank to obtain cash once again no apology nothing. I did not get offered a drink whilst I waited for the car to take me to the airport.
I travel alone and I have always been comfortable and made to feel welcome at the other hotels I have stayed at however I did not feel either here.
I booked this hotel on the basis of the reviews here, I will return to the hotel I have used previously where I know I am assured of at least being treated as others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Jennifer H
RomeGR, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Diocleziano, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Madame,

It is with great regret that we read your review on our property. We are sorry to understand that the service we provided during your stay was not up to your standards.

We recall quite well your stay and as such we would be inclined to explain some of the points you have made.

Room: from what was reported by the receptionist which welcomed you at check in he clearly explained that the room assigned for the first night was going to be given to a disabled Guest a couple of days later, therefore a room on a top floor, as per you reservation request, was already put aside for the rest of your stay. He did in fact apologize for the room change and thanked you for your kindness towards the other Guest arriving on the following days.
Mattress: We are sorry you have found it to be too hard for you. When choosing the mattresses for the hotel we have tried to choose one which would accommodate most Guests needs. However, we do understand that some people prefer a softer kind. Unfortunately, you did not comment on this issue during your stay so we could not provide a solution. As a matter of fact, our housekeeping can provide a softer padding to be placed on top of the mattress so that this may be more comfortable for Guests.

Breakfast: our buffet breakfast is a mix between American and Continental items. We always try to cater for most tastes, therefore we try and provide a variety of foods which will give all at least something they might like. A part from the classic cereals, yogurts and various pastries, we also offer eggs, sausages and bacon and vegetables. Also Italian typical foods such as mozzarella and ricotta cheese are provided. As for the bacon and sausages cut into small pieces we are sorry that this disturbed you; also, regarding the milk jugs, we are sorry that you have found the absence of these uncomfortable. Although we do not recall other Guests complaining for the absence of these, we are always open to our Guests’ suggestions, therefore we will take into consideration your note.

Credit card: as per the check out episode, we once more apologize for the matter occurred. However, we would like to underline the fact that although the system was down for a couple of hours, our receptionist not only apologized for the matter but also gave you the possibility to sign a charge slip on which it was stated that you would authorize the charge of your credit card after your departure so that the costs of your stay could be charged once the machine was functioning again. However, you declined the offer and preferred to go and find an ATM to pay in cash.

Conclusively, we are sorry to understand that although you have picked us because of the positive reviews received on TripAdvisor you did not see them as truthful. We are also sorry that you had the sensation that you were treated differently from other Guests and that you will not return to our Hotel for your next stay in Rome. We always try our best to make our Guests feel at home when with us and we regret that we could not give you the same feeling.
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Very good choice if you want to be near Termini train station. The hotel and staff, especially Leopold, are very welcoming and efficient. The rooms are functional, quiet and clean. The area is dull and can be sketchy, but it is by a major train station. Breakfast is excellent.

Room Tip: Get room 501 at top if you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family