“Roman Holiday”

Ranked #49 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
New Delhi, India
“Roman Holiday”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We found the hotel nice though the rooms appeared at first glance to be very small but later we got used to the size.The bathroom was just the right size with excellent shower.Initially I was put off by the lady at the reception but then I realised this was just her personality and not a deliberate attempt to be rude On our last day in Rome very sportingly posed for a photo I took of her for keepsake.Breakfast was good with very friendly Mary Lou willing to help.Others at the reception were helpful too. It is centrally located with nice eating places closeby.Unlike some others who have reviewed the hotel, I did not find the bed hard. In fact it was nice and functional hotel and soon felt at home here. If expectations are very high as it is supposed to be a four star hotel then one is in for a disappointment. My only humble request to the hotel is please add a few extra chairs in your lounge afte all one can't hold a conversation by sitting on two sofas which are placed in a straight line. There are some uncomfortable stools under the table opposite to these sofas pulling them out was a chore.Our rooms had only one chair - space was limited.

Room Tip: Maybe the one with a terrace, We never had much time to sit in our respective rooms we were on the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank manmohinikaul
RomeGR, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Diocleziano, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time in writing your opinion on our establishment.

We are glad that you have found our location comfortable to explore the area and that you particularly liked Mary Lou’s Service. We will make sure to pass on your kind words to her.
Regarding the receptionist you met at check in, we are relieved to understand that the whole matter was only caused by cultural difference and that you realized that her attitude was not meant to offend you in any way. Many appreciate her forthrightness approach and her vitality but we do understand that sometimes when personalities are different her attitude might clash with that of our Guests. We only would like to highlight the fact that nobody so far has reported perceiving her manners as rude in any way, just very friendly, but we understand your point of you and we are glad that all doubts have been washed away.

As per your note on the room we would only like to specify that you had booked a Double Room and were in fact upgraded to a large one so that you could be more comfortable during you stay. Furthermore, and in order reassure our future customers, we only would like to clarify that all our rooms are fully equipped with the essential comforts of hotel rooms, such as chairs, a table and, depending on the room, a sofa. Also, all rooms are described on selling website with pictures and a list of amenities included in it. We always try to assign the best available rooms to our Guests and, depending on availability on the day of arrival, even upgrade them. We understand that this small touch may change completely someone’s stay and we really do our outmost to accommodate any request we receive.

Regarding the lift, and for our clients’ benefit, please note that this is fully functional and has a regular speed. Regarding its width, since the hotel has only 35 rooms, we have decided to implement one which would be fit for the daily traffic of a small business; therefore we opted for one which may carry up to five people instead of six.

Coming now to the lounge, we are sorry that you did not find it comfortable to relax in, however we would like to underline the fact that there are not only two sofas available but also two poufs so that people may talk face to face. Furthermore, our staff is always ready to help in case of the need to move them around.

Finally, we are glad that you have managed to enjoy your stay and we do hope that you will be coming back in the future. Maybe next time you will be able to book the VIP Suite and enjoy the view over the Diocletian Baths.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week. This was my fourth trip to Rome and the first time at this hotel.
The day I arrived I was given room 2 being told that as I had booked a room on a higher floor I could if I wished change the next morning. I liked the room so I unpacked. When arriving back at the hotel that night I was informed by the receptionist that I would have to move the next morning as the room was booked for a disabled client. I did this however I did not get an apology or a thank you.
The hotel was well placed, clean.
The staff on the whole efficient however not as friendly towards me as others have reported.
Breakfast was poor bacon and sausages cut into small pieces and the egg was dry. One day mixed vegetables were served which included carrots. I had to use a glass for my milk with my tea as no milk jugs presented not good for a four star hotel.
The beds were very hard too.
On the day I checked out I attempted to pay my bill with both my credit and debit card however the machine did not work. This led to me rushing to the nearest bank to obtain cash once again no apology nothing. I did not get offered a drink whilst I waited for the car to take me to the airport.
I travel alone and I have always been comfortable and made to feel welcome at the other hotels I have stayed at however I did not feel either here.
I booked this hotel on the basis of the reviews here, I will return to the hotel I have used previously where I know I am assured of at least being treated as others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Jennifer H
RomeGR, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Diocleziano, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Madame,

It is with great regret that we read your review on our property. We are sorry to understand that the service we provided during your stay was not up to your standards.

We recall quite well your stay and as such we would be inclined to explain some of the points you have made.

Room: from what was reported by the receptionist which welcomed you at check in he clearly explained that the room assigned for the first night was going to be given to a disabled Guest a couple of days later, therefore a room on a top floor, as per you reservation request, was already put aside for the rest of your stay. He did in fact apologize for the room change and thanked you for your kindness towards the other Guest arriving on the following days.
Mattress: We are sorry you have found it to be too hard for you. When choosing the mattresses for the hotel we have tried to choose one which would accommodate most Guests needs. However, we do understand that some people prefer a softer kind. Unfortunately, you did not comment on this issue during your stay so we could not provide a solution. As a matter of fact, our housekeeping can provide a softer padding to be placed on top of the mattress so that this may be more comfortable for Guests.

Breakfast: our buffet breakfast is a mix between American and Continental items. We always try to cater for most tastes, therefore we try and provide a variety of foods which will give all at least something they might like. A part from the classic cereals, yogurts and various pastries, we also offer eggs, sausages and bacon and vegetables. Also Italian typical foods such as mozzarella and ricotta cheese are provided. As for the bacon and sausages cut into small pieces we are sorry that this disturbed you; also, regarding the milk jugs, we are sorry that you have found the absence of these uncomfortable. Although we do not recall other Guests complaining for the absence of these, we are always open to our Guests’ suggestions, therefore we will take into consideration your note.

Credit card: as per the check out episode, we once more apologize for the matter occurred. However, we would like to underline the fact that although the system was down for a couple of hours, our receptionist not only apologized for the matter but also gave you the possibility to sign a charge slip on which it was stated that you would authorize the charge of your credit card after your departure so that the costs of your stay could be charged once the machine was functioning again. However, you declined the offer and preferred to go and find an ATM to pay in cash.

Conclusively, we are sorry to understand that although you have picked us because of the positive reviews received on TripAdvisor you did not see them as truthful. We are also sorry that you had the sensation that you were treated differently from other Guests and that you will not return to our Hotel for your next stay in Rome. We always try our best to make our Guests feel at home when with us and we regret that we could not give you the same feeling.
new jersey
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Very good choice if you want to be near Termini train station. The hotel and staff, especially Leopold, are very welcoming and efficient. The rooms are functional, quiet and clean. The area is dull and can be sketchy, but it is by a major train station. Breakfast is excellent.

Room Tip: Get room 501 at top if you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel for a suprise 40th in January. Everything about this little hotel is perfect, the room was spotless and a decent size. Location is excellent for visiting all that Rome has to offer, we walked to everything! Breakfast was continental and very tasty, buffet style. We will be sure to return and stay here again, if you have booked you will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed January 2013
Maryland
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I can't say enough positive things about this hotel. I needed a place to stay for 2 nights prior to and one night after a Mediterranean cruise. I had last been to Rome with my family in December of 2006 and we were very happy with the hotel where we stayed at that time. I attempted to stay there again, but the cost was prohibitive. I did research on Trip Advisor and saw the great reviews of the Hotel Diocleziano and I booked this for the 2 nights prior to our cruise. The cost for the one night after the cruise was too expensive at that time. My wife and I was so pleased with our hotel stay and the convenience of the location that I did additional research while I was on the cruise and the price dropped enough for this hotel that we stayed there for the day after our cruise as well.

The front desk person spent a lot of her life in New Jersey and spoke English perfectly. As we are from New Jersey originally we had something to talk about. She was very helpful in telling us about the surrounding area. For the 2 nights prior to the cruise we were upgraded (with no additional charge) to a larger room that had a Jacuzzi style bathtub. All of the rooms have a mini fridge that is always stocked with 4 cold drinks--water without gas, sparkling water, a Coke, and an orange soda. I don't really like sparkling water but I suppose if I had asked they would have given us 2 bottles of water without gas instead. I solved this problem easily by shaking up the sparkling water and gradually letting the gas out. We used the water bottles for our trips around Rome.

It was ridiculously easy to get to the hotel. There are several bus companies that run buses from the airport to the Termini Station and from there it is less than a five-minute walk. Despite the proximity to the station, I felt the neighborhood was safe and our hotel was quiet at nighttime. Being close to the station is fantastic because there is a Metro stop there and we also took the train from there to Civitavecchia. In addition, all of the buses in Rome seem to go through the station.

The morning breakfast was well appointed in a brightly decorated room. We always left for our daily excursions feeling full. As is usual in a European hotel, the lift was small but perfectly serviceable. The room that we had prior to the cruise was bigger than the room for the night after the cruise, but the rooms were clean, nicely decorated, and well above average. Like the hotel we had stayed at previously in Italy, the room key card needs to be inserted in a slot in the wall for the electricity in the room to work. When you leave the hotel, you dropped her key off at the front desk which initially bothered me but in reality this worked fine.

The hotel does offer transportation to the airport but this is expensive. We ate at 3 restaurants that were within a 2 block radius of the hotel and we were more than satisfied with each of these restaurants. There was a small exercise room which we didn't need to use considering the amount of walking we did in Rome. I would definitely want to go back and stay here the next time I am in Rome.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank badwyer
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My second visit in Rome and after thorough research we opted to stay in Hotel diocleziano. The location, staff, service, selection for breakfast and cleanliness stand out.

As many have said, this is a 5minute walk to the Termini/train and bus station. so convenient for those wishing to travel all around Rome. The hotel is clean and modern (free wifi). Above all the service really brings this hotel to life. Reception staff are friendly, informative and always acknowledged you with a smile when walking by or asking questions. They have a direct link with the taxi company so booking these was quick and efficient. The hotel also stocks the Roma pass to purchase which is great.

I was particularly impressed on 2 occasions. Complimentary coffees while waiting for our taxi to return to the airport, as well the service after we left. I left an inexpensive item in the cab on our return. On emailing the hotel in the off chance they might be able to help, they were able to locate and ship this item to me which was a very kind gesture.

There only appears to be a couple of irons in the hotel so this can not be kept in your room. This is not disruptive, however some may find this inconvenient. Personally, we ironed everything in one go therefore removing the need to request this again. In my opinion, the beds are a little harder than I would have liked but this is only a preference and I would not hesitate to stay here again. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 103 (ground floor, jacuzzi bath and with private terrace). Nice enough, however in...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SunSeaShelly
Mundelein, Illinois
Reviewed June 6, 2013

After looking at other reviews on Trip Advisor and considering a large number of the many hotels in Rome, my wife and I decided to book the Hotel Diocleziano for our 2 night stay in Rome. The hotel exceeded our expectations. The hotel has a no smoking, no pet policy which made it immediately attractive. Coupled with the fact that they offer free Wi-Fi and a complete breakfast in the rate was an additional plus. The Wi-Fi was fast and we had no problems getting on it. If a guest does not have a device the hotel has free computer usage in their business center. The breakfast was excellent and the attendant in the breakfast room was especially pleasant and helpful. I can say the same for all of the hotel staff.

Rooms were small but immaculate as was the rest of the hotel. Nothing was out of place and everything was extremely clean. The elevator was small with room for about 5 people but this did not present a problem. The area had many restaurants within a short walk and the hotel staff gave us recommendations. The location is a short walk to the train terminal but not so close that the negative aspects of the area effect the location. It is on very quiet street and easily accessible to the train station where you can get the hop on-hop off bus which is a great value to see the city. Just make certain to buy the bus ticket at the terminal location rather than from the many vendors trying to sell tickets since you will save 5 Euros per ticket.

All in all, I highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again if I go back to Rome.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple