“Do not believe the other reviews here !”

Il Gattopardo Relais
Ranked #756 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed with my son on a 3 day trip to Rome and chose this because of relatively positive tripadvisor reviews. We ended up staying in the room with the reception straight outside the door, this would have been acceptable if a lady on reception didnt have a screaming baby on her lap. In the room there were problems with numerous things like the safe being broken, the shower head also being broken, the shower flooding the bathroom, the door lock falling off. I accept things go wrong but the attitude of the staff was awful. When reporting the shower being broken I was told it couldnt be fixed today as it was a holiday. Only when I demanded to talk to the owner did another shower head appear. Elsewhere on the site there were positive comments re the breakfast so I told my 14 year old lad to forget all the negatives and think of his stomach. The breakfast was really poor, plastic bread badly presented, cheese and ham I simply wouldnt touch and yoghurt that must have been the cheapest available. They did have some fairly nice croissants so I thought my son would have the nice chocolate one on the plate but the fat lady who was working there nabbed this one and ate it in front of us. On the second morning I had the temerity to ask for a hot drink, having managed to get a cup of tea for both of us the day before the day before I asked again and was served coffee for myself only, nothing for my son. When i pointed out the mistake the reaction was surly and unpleasant, I did get the tea but with a very sour taste. On the third morning we gave up and went to a lovely coffee shop a few doors down. If you are unfortunate enough to have booked this hotel then I can recommend this option as the tea is good, the croissants excellent and are not eaten by the staff, who are pleasant and helpful. In other words a direct opposite of Il Gattopardo Relais. To be fair it is not the staff's fault, they are clearly just the cheapest people the owners of this potentilly very nice property could find and were totally unsuitable to running a hotel.

Room Tip: Dont stay in any of them, if you do then ensure you are not in the room that we were with the recept...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mark J
There are newer reviews for Il Gattopardo Relais

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Spent 4 days at this hotell august 2011.
The hotell has the best location, only 5 minutes walk from vatican city. Its close to the river, who had lots of entertainment at night in august (the romans has vacation at this time)
The rooms were large and clean, breakfast very simple. They were very helpfull og kind, the elderly man working there (or the owner) even read me poatry he had written himself. And they were beautyfull!
Would absolutly recomend this place!

Room Tip: chose a suite because it dident cost much more then ordinery double room, but was nothing more then...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank irzet
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This was an average place to stay while in Rome. The building is quite impressive when you walk in (marble staircase, statues). The rooms were clean and were a good size. There was a mini-fridge in the room with drinks/snacks (for a charge, of course).
The biggest plus is that it is just a couple minutes away from the Metro and only about a 10 minute walk from the Vatican. Breakfast was very similar to the other places that we stayed that were in the similar price range.
The main negative that I had was that internet was an extra fee (3 Euros for 1 hour, which I found a bit excessive). Other than that, a very decent place to stay in Rome for the price.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Linate" room (if I remember correctly), and it was RIGHT across from the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer P
Reviewed July 2, 2012

A little hard to find this unconventional hotel as it looks like a residence. We stayed 5 days and could not find fault at all. Breakfast pleasant but not much choice,
Located in a very good area close to the Vatican and near the metro, Coming back to this hotel was a pleasure.
Avery nice restaurant is located a few doors away and local shops offer good quality goods.
Hotel staff were pleasant and helpful ,I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank poolsedge
Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

Although we hardly found the hotel (cause its just on the first floor of a building which looks like a residence) we were very satisfied with our room with a cute balcony surrounded with flowers. The hotel staff were very friendy though they did'nt know almost any word of English.. Anyway we found a way to get along and they served us the best they can I'm sure. One bad thing is that internet connection service is too expensive and you can connect only one device with one password. One of the good things is it very close to Vatikan so you can say that its very central. We stayed for 3 days and in the end I really enjoyed myself in this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Dnzkrc
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This hotel is for the traveler who doesn't want to stay in the heart of Rome. It is however a short stroll to the Vatican so I really enjoyed daily trips to St Peters Square to relax and appreciate where I was. The trip into Rome was very easy on the Metro, and every night I loved coming back to the local charms. The local food is amazing and I found the shopping to be the best. So many little boutiques with reasonable prices. The hotel was lovely, private and the staff will be there for you every minute if you want, or leave you in peace if that is what you want. It is hard to locate for a driver, and it has 2 small but wide flights of stairs to climb with luggage. I found no noise at all and loved looking out my window watching the bustling street.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank sologaltraveller
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for our birthdays in Feb, we stayed for 4 days in Rome and loved every minute of it. The hotel, although it only consists of a few rooms 5 i think, was easy to find and located close to local shops, the metro link (even though we only used it once) and Vatican city, about a 10-15 min walk.
The location was great for us since we enjoy walking around and stumbling across landmarks or sites of interest. The one time we used the metro was when we were on our way home and my suitcase had broken.
The room had a nice double bed and a marble bathroom there was minimal noise from the street and towels were provided. The room was clean and felt homely and characterful which we is what we perfer as aposed to the sterile modern finishes that are found in large new builds. Breakfast was proved which was pretty basic, some cereals, breads, jams, croissants and yoghurt. There was a 24 hour reception so although the doors were locked at night you just had to knock or buzz to get in. We found the staff friendly although they didn't speak much english but there was no need for them to.
While in Rome we visited St Peters (well worth climbing for the view), Vatican museum (got a bit lost), the colosseum, city museum, spanish steps, the majority of the fountains and numerous churches, botanical gardens, pantheon and other stuff i can't properly remember since we did randomly walk in the general direction of things and see others by accident. Having tea outside the pantheon is well worth doing as is seeing the colosseum at night. To be honest there is so much to see its hard to put priority on anything. We could easily go back.
We would recommend this hotel to couples wanting a quieter getaway that has a good location and is really reasonable. Had a lovely stay that we couldn't fault.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple