“Beautiful Hotel in a beautiful part of town” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Il Gattopardo Relais

Il Gattopardo Relais
Ranked #735 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Levittown, NY
“Beautiful Hotel in a beautiful part of town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2008

We stayed at the Il Gattopardo Relais for two nights last week on our way back from Naples. This hotel is a lovely little gem of a boutique hotel in a beautiful part of the neighborhood called Prati a short walk from the entrance to the Vatican Museum.

The bathroom was luxurious, marble with a full tub and beautiful pedestal sink. The bed was super comfortable, the room was very clean with a mini-bar and a tv that even offered some English channels.

The breakfast was fine and the coffee was excellent. The young ladies, Christina and Tezia were both lovely and very friendly and welcomed us warmly.

The only thing one should be aware of is that there is no elevator or lift and you must walk up several flights of winding stairs with your luggage. Christina came down and helped us carry up our bags which was really so very nice of her to do.

I would highly recommend this lovely little hotel in this very lovely part of Rome.

Stasz
Levittown, NY

• Liked — Beautiful bathroom
  • Disliked — Steps
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Leeds, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2008

I booked this hotel after the reviews on here and have to say the hotel 'grew on me' over our stay.

As you will note from other reviews, this is not a large hotel with a sign outside and flashy entrance, It is basically one floor in an apartment block which has been converted into hotel rooms with a reception in the middle. But the apartment block itself is a quaint old block with huge wooden doors and a pretty spiral staircase and seems to be made up mainly of offices apart from the hotel. Make sure you take specific directions with you as the street numbering is very confusing.

Once inside it is a well looked after hotel with antique style furniture rather than a modern look but this fits in well with the style of the rooms.

Our only gripe was that the first room we were given had clearly not been cleaned from the last occupant - which we realise when we went to get showered and there were dirty towels on the floor in the bathroom .However, when we pointed this out we were quickly moved into another room which was actually bigger and nicer than the first. Plenty of space, high ceilings and decent size bathroom.

Our room overlooked the main road so I could imagine that those sensitive to noise might find it a little noisy but we had no trouble sleeping in the massive and very comfortable bed. There was plenty of hotwater, blankets and the room was warm enough given it was still quite cold. Location wise it is within walking distance of the vatican city but also very close to the metro line A which enables you to get around most of the city very easily. At night you would need to get a cab home as the metro closes a little early.

We paid 315 euros for 3 nights which included breakfast. The thing that put this hotel a step above others in this category was that no matter what time of day or night you came in, they were happy to see you. When we came out for breakfast at 11am they were happy to serve us. When we were checking out and mentioned that it was my boyfriends birthday the receptionist ran exitedly into the bar area and gave us a free bottle of wine to take home with us. summary - hotel good, rooms good, price good and staff exceptional

• Liked — Location, staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2008

I went to Rome for work and as I know the town very well I chose this place because it looked nice and it's ideally located near the tube. Rome can be a hard place to live as public transport can be severely affected by traffic, only two tube lines for such a big town, and "il gattopardo " is only at 15 minutes walking distance from the Vatican and connected by tube to all the touristic sites in no more than 15 minutes. Note anyway that the tube in Rome shuts down very early, 10 in the evening is the last ride ,so if you wish to go out overnight you can take a taxi. Try to avoid the independent ones as they have the very bad habit of charging irreasonable prices sometimes. The area is perfectly served with internet points, bars and restaurants, and one of them, "il Toscano", really deserves a go as it is also mentioned on the "Gambero rosso" guide, and it is only two buildings away from the BB.

The first impression was anyway a bit annoying for me as there is no lift leading to this ancient big refurbished apartment made of 5 (or 6? can't remember) big beautifully decorated rooms, which look very much like the pictures you find on their website, and this was not mentioned anywhere.The staff does not take any care of helping to bring your luggage upstairs on the 2nd floor where it is located, also because there is only one person at the reception. Anyway the room I chose was really beautiful and cleanliness probably its best feature as well as the style, beautiful charming antiques, luxury curtains, beautiful bathroom with oval cabin shower, spotless.

There are a few details I did not like very much though, one is that the breakfast room is really very small, meaning that you litterally have your breakfast side by side with the barman, and only two small cafe' tables. I was the only customer that day but I guess it can be really uncomfortable if they were fully booked.

I had required some decaf which was assured to me on the phone when i booked but the first day they had forgotten it, which meant I had to have my own breakfast out, despite paying for that. The thing that really annoyed me though is that the 2 ladies owners shout very loud when talking to people or on the phone and slam doors without care, and as this is an ancient apartment in which the reception is right in the middle of a corridor, surrounded by all the 5 rooms, it can be really noisy, I was awaken at 7 when they start working. I even caught one of them shoutin so unpolitely and so loud at some customer on the phone that I litterally could hear each word she said, and this lack of class really sounded awful and not matching the charm of this beautiful and clean place.

The rest of the staff was really nice, the 2nd day I had my breakfast served in the room by the room maid and on my departure the room man helped me with my heavy case downstairs which I really appreciated.
Rooms are also served by independent and powerful heating and telehone, as well as satellite sky tv, but only with the sky world channels and the sport ones, you can pay for movies if you wish, and on the remote a button allows you to change your language to English if required.

Overall a nice experience but I think that such a beautiful place should be run with professional customer service to really match the charm it offers as the price offered in some seasons is not exactly competitive.

• Liked — cleanliness, beauty, location
  • Disliked — customer service, lack of public transport overnight
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2007

We had the opportunity to stay at Il Gattopardo June 15-18, 2007. Initially, I reserved that property because it was reasonably priced for Rome, in a great location and the photos on their website looked inviting. I'm happy to report that the suite and bathroom were lovely and Maurizia, Cristina, Simeon, Paolo and Giovanni were very welcoming and helpful. It was a wonderful experience from beginning to end. The hotel is located near Vatican City which we visited the first day we arrived in Rome. We went at 1pm and there were no lines to speak of which I had read and heard about there. If you're interested in experiencing Rome's public transportation system, there is a Metro stop located across the street from the hotel. The second day we took the Metro to The Colosseum and found it safe and reasonable, 4 euro for a full day pass. We also saw the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Our last day we woke up early and took the bus to the Piazza Navonna and were delighted we did. It was peaceful there @ 10am with a guitarist playing for people sitting at the outdoor cafes. We went back to Piazza Navonna that evening for dinner and to see the artists display their wares. It's a popular spot for mimes also. We took a taxi home that evening which was 12 euros. I can't wait to return to Il Gattopardo Relais. Thank you all for such a pleasant stay.

• Liked — The room and staff
  • Disliked — Breakfast could have had more options
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank 1235
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2006

Booked based on reviews from various web-sites - everything about this property is of the highest standards. Stayed in the suite - a large room and well worth the money. Was lovely to go back to a nice room at the end of a full days sightseeing.
Owners / staff go out of their way to help with every aspect of life in Rome. The trip was made to celebrate a wedding anniversary - the staff made this very special indeed.
Breakfasts - a varied selection, and plenty of it!
Only a 10 mins walk from the Vatican and only 50-100m from the metro - so easy to get to any part of Rome. Area feels safe and secure - there are some nice restaurants in the neighbourhood.

Il Gattopardo Relais gets 100% recommendation for anyone looking for an intimate, delightful property.

Stayed October 2006
Huntsville, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2006

I stayed at Gattopardo for six nights this July, paying only 79 Euros per night (about half of what was advertised on their website). Overall, the experience was wonderful, and I strongly recommend the place for anyone looking for a small, moderately priced hotel near the Vatican. Note that there are only six rooms in this beautiful, family-run hotel.

Positives: courteous and helpful staff (several family members); beautiful rooms and en suite bathrooms; quiet and safe; very close to subway and bus connections as well as the Vatican; satisfying breakfast (no extra cost); in an area with lots of eateries and shops

Negatives: typical of many European hotels and restaurants, the a/c is not up to U.S. standards, but it certainly helped in the 90-100 degree days; the twin bed was small and hard; every time you enter, you must be buzzed into the building and then into the hotel (on second floor)

• Liked — great value; great staff; beautiful room
  • Disliked — weak a/c; hard bed
  • Tips/Secrets — do lots of internet searching to see if you can get discounted rates
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo