“Could have been better but perfectly adequate”
Review of Hotel Alius

Hotel Alius
Ranked #1,013 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 4, 2013

What we were after was somewhere simple, cheap & in a convenient location as we did not plan to spend long amounts of time at the hotel. The Alius hotel served that purpose but might not suit everybody, some highlights/lowlights for us below to help you make your choice:

Pros
- Really convenient location, less than 5 mins from Repubblica metro, and about 10 mins from the main Termini station.
- Private bathroom
-Wifi (although be warned it doesn't always work in the rooms, sometimes you have to go to the breakfast area to get a signal)
- Able to leave baggage at the hotel prior to check in and after check out (very handy given our inconvenient flight times)

Cons
- Breakfast was not good. The pastries are about all that is manageable.
- It is on the third floor and the stairs are an absolute nightmare to get up. If you're lucky the lift will be working - but the lift is old, rickety and very damaged so doesn't feel too safe.
- Our double bed was actually just 2 singles pushed together.

Also, so you're aware - it is on a main road, so you have to expect some noise. We found it perfectly comfortable to rely on the AC and leave the windows shut (we visited end of Sept/early Oct) and with the windows shut, the noise didn't disturb us.

Our first night the hotel staff advised us our room was "broken", and so we had to stay at another one of their hotels (about a 15 min walk from this one) for one night. They paid for a taxi there (and back the next day) and although not ideal, it really didn't impact us too much but thought it was worth mentioning as judging from other reviews, it has happened to more than just us.

All in all, you get what you pay for - if you just want to be able to have somewhere to crash and don't intend to spend large amounts of time at the hotel this is a perfectly acceptable place to stay as it's clean, basic and a good location.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KPalacios

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We knew when checking in that this was a 1 star hotel so had fairly low expectations. Our taxi driver said, "Brava" when dropping us off. The elevator worked, the reception was smooth and efficient and the room was spacious and clean. The location was excellent on Via Nazionale. However, this meant noisy days, evenings and nights. The breakfast was mediocre but the coffee machine produced a good cappucino. All-in-all, it was fine because we spent do many hours on the go that an expensive hotel would have been a waste of money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank evamurray2013
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was my first time in Rome and I loved it, and a great contributor to that was the Hotel Alius, its perfect location for the things I wanted to see, and the good surprises that it offered. Everything was made so nice and easy, and leaves me with such a great feeling about the city.

This was one of the hotels that had communicated with me earlier, asking me if I could let them know the time I planned to arrive. Since I was coming in by train, and the hotel is less than a ten-minute walk from the Roma Termini, I was able to tell them almost down to the minute. Still, it was really cool to come up to the great front door of the building, press the buzzer, and hear a voice over the intercom answer "Mr. Osborne?". It was like a welcoming party waiting for me!

This hotel, like two others on my trip, was actually in sections of a larger building. The building is a rectangular-doughnut-shaped building wrapped around a central courtyard, with a section on the right and a section on the left, each with its own elevator. The office, breakfast room, and several hotel rooms, are in the section on the right, on the second floor, whereas my room was in the section on the left, on the third floor, with a door that led to a hall from which there were several rooms. There were three keys--one for the big building door downstairs, another one for the big door of my section, and a third one for my individual room, which was a single. The window of my room opened onto the inner courtyard, so everything was very quiet and restful. I slept so well in that cozy room.

I thought my room was very beautiful and stylishly-decorated with a very clean, clear, uncluttered modern Italian look (I've posted pictures). It all looked totally brand new.

With my having booked "budget" hotels for this trip, I had made the assumption that I was always going to be having a bathroom down the hall (which I used to think was the usual European style, but now I am wondering if that is now a several decades old idea), and certainly no air conditioner (that I hadn't been sufficiently aware of needing to have--but this was July in Italy, and during a heat-wave, as well!). But this room not only had a private bathroom, it was a very beautiful one, and, mercy of mercies, the room also had air conditioning! So after my Venice hotel with only a window, and my Siena hotel with a fan, to actually have air conditioning in Rome was a dream come true. It was operated by remote control and worked perfectly. There also was a cable TV which I actually did watch when I came back to the room to rest, and, another wonderful surprise, a small refrigerator. Oh, and the bathroom had what I think is a towel warmer, but which I use as a clothes dryer, because when I am traveling light, I wash every night some of the clothes I have been wearing, so I don't have to lug around so many (on a fourteen day trip!).

So, I'm not quite sure what amenity would be supposed to be missing...why is this "budget", again? Of course there was soap and shampoo and a hair dryer.... There wasn't a bidet, but instead, a hand-held nozzle-device that was part of the toilet, very clever, and for flushing the toilet, a choice of two oval buttons to press, the larger one for "heavy flush" and the smaller one for "light flush". I admit to having never seen either of these plumbing features anywhere in the United States (sometimes bathrooms do have full-on bidets), but my Roman friends tell me that the flushing choice is very common in Italy (the bathroom in their apartment had that, too).

One other amenity that I was thoroughly pleased about...they not only had free WiFi, they also provided in the room a LAPTOP! Part of my traveling light (beyond bringing fewer changes of clothes and doing washing in the hotel room at night) is not bringing a computer. I am really on my trip to do something other than be on the computer, despite how useful (and nearly essential) that they actually are. (I did have my iPhone, but it ended up I had no service in Italy.) I realized that it was a godsend to have a computer in the room, so that for sure tipped the "room quality scale" upward.

Breakfast included various kinds of sweet breads and toast and a selection of jams and other toppings, juice, cheese, ham, yogurt, and maybe some cereal (I don't remember about that), and whatever kind of coffee you wanted. I happened to run into the owner of the hotel in the elevator, who told me she was on her way to shopping for food for the breakfast. She was a glamorous, beautiful, enthusiastic woman, and I was very happy to be able to tell her how much I liked staying in her hotel! I feel, after having met her, that this is someone who is always thinking of what she can do to make the hotel nice. I think she would take any criticism (whatever there could possibly be) very seriously.

In the hallway leading to my room were some brochures for tours, etc., and a stack of tourist's maps. That tourist map was one of the best maps I had on my trip to Italy, because not only was it complete, but the emphasis was on what a tourist would want to see, so the top features were drawn as birdseye 3-D images and the subway routes and stops were clearly indicated. I used that map practically down to worn-out and unraveling, it was so easy to plan a walk to features that were within walking distance (this hotel's perfect location!) or else for so many of the others to get close to them via subway. The Repubblica subway stop was only couple of blocks from the hotel, very, very useful.

If I ever worried about being in a neighborhood so close to the train station, I needn't have worried. I felt totally comfortable wandering all around this area (and, well, everywhere), and for some of my meals, found several friendly places with good food to eat right close to the hotel.

Like elsewhere in Italy, there were way too many things to do than I could allot the vacation time for, but leaving Rome and this nice, convenient, comfortable hotel, made me the saddest to go. I am so glad that I threw my coin into the Trevi Fountain!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights and I had searched so many hotels in Rome but finally settled on this one after looking at the web site and reading reviews, but the only good thing about the hotel is the location as it is close to Termini Station. It was horrible, on a very noisy street so you have to have the windows shut. The room was so hot as the air conditioning never worked properly neither did the wifi. No tea and coffee facilities in the room as the pictures show, in fact the pictures look nothing like the reality. Basic breakfast which was ok and staff were helpful.
It was a reasonable price for what you got but I would pay a little more and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't get a room overlooking Via Nazionale too noisy!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Trudy T
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I am a independent travel agent and guide to collegues, friends and family. I have used this hotel at least nine times in the past eleven years. There is a reason why I choose this hotel year after year; It's the staff, location, and service within a good price range for Rome. The hotel is in a historic building on Via Nazionale near Termini train station, the Metro stop, and a Atac Bus stop a few blocks down the road (64 or 70 are the best to get around Rome, but can be very crowded). The hotel is very basic and not big, but the location is great. Hotel Alus is for tourists that will be out most of the day and returning for a night of sleep. I especially recommend this hotel for young adults and anyone on a budget. Breakfast at the hotel is a typical European style and that means cresants, pastries, cereal, toast, coffee, juice, and yogurt. I enjoy the cresants, coffee, and juice. The hotel now has Wi-Fi and Flat-Screen TVs now (didn't have those on my earlier stays) and beverages that can be purchased from the fridge within the rooms (decent price, but can save by going to the supermarket down the road). Want to mention the service as well. Tania, Maria, and Leonardo meet and exceed expected service at the hotel. They are very helpful and a pleasure to have a conversation with. Overall, this hotel is a perfect hotel if you're on a budget and want to have easy access to transportation.

Room Tip: Try to speak the language where you are. The locals will treat you better if you make the attempt an...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Matteo A
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The hotel is close to the Termini train station and the Repubblica metro station. It takes about fifteen minutes to walk to the centre of Rome, so based purely on it's location this is a great hotel.

However, during our four night stay our towels were not once changed, we were given two half-used toilet paper rolls, the liquid soap was never replenished and the safe didn't work.

Like other people have said, the breakfast wasn't great either, even for us continental types.

Funny thing: when I asked if I could use the coffee machine (it wasn't plugged in) the guy had this to say: "Coffee machine not on? You drink tè!" Apart from that the staff was generally helpful and kind.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Margo L