“Thanks to TA, a good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Carcere Mamertino

Christianity in the Ancient Rome Private Tour
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Thanks to TA, a good experience”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

As other reviewers noted, this is an interesting destination, whether or not both Peter and Paul were here isn't what drew me. We were NOT interested in the writings of Paul, we enjoy seeing the remnants of ancient Rome.

We were very lucky in that we walked in the same time as several students who were specifically interested in the archeological significance of this location, rather than the religious, we were offered to go along with them or wait another 5 or ten minutes for a "multi-media" tour. Needless to say after reading what the other wrote here, we went for the archeological tour, which did NOT include the audio guide or the movies. My daughter had just finished an archeology course while in Rome and found this very interesting, especially as one of the few intact portions of the Servian wall goes through the upper chamber. (pre-dates the Auralian wall)
The lower chamber is the certainly an experience and worth the 5 euros.

If you get the chance to ask for a more "archeological/non-multi media tour" you might want to try that.

2 Thank silvergoldberry

• Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Over Commercialized”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The Mamerine prison is called out in my NIV study note Bible as the place where Paul was imprisoned. I don't have same information about Peter. I thought it would be awesome to see the prison Paul was incarcerated when he wrote his letters. It was. If this was the same place, it was awe inspiring and breath taking. The problem was with the presentation as other reviewers have noted. It starts with an audio tour while you are in the prison looking at the supposed post where either of the two were shackled to. The audio guide is very strange. It does not talk about Peter and Paul and what they faced and what they struggled with and the books written from the prison. It talks about the history of the people and the place. Very strange. Then we went on movie walk...literally three short videos/movies in 20 minutes. The first was about rocks of different eras/centuries talking to each other...not about Peter or Paul. The second was a type of 3d/motion video to make us fell like we were in the prison. It very briefly talked about who was imprisoned. The third was about Peter and how he was the rock upon which the catholic Church was built. I am Protestant and felt the huge weight of the Catholic Church on this one. Paul was not mentioned whatsoever throughout the videos and he was the one who actually is more linked to the prison than Peter. I love Peter but feel Paul was much more instrumental in spreading the good news and wished there was more emphasis on him. But I do realize I am in the Catholic center of the world. Whatever side of the Church you are on, it doesn't matter. The videos and audioguide of the tour are strange. Just keep in mind that you are just paying for the right to see the actual prison cell, nothing else. No flash cameras are okay and videotaping is okay. The prison is a little chilly so bring a long sleeve. You stand when you watch the videos except for the last one.

5 Thank Josh A
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Confusing....”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This was the place that St. Peter was imprisoned, yet the tour was about walls of different centuries talking to each other and how'd water seeps through the rocks??? I'm confused and would rather learn more about the actual prison & related facts such as St. Peter's letter that I read about from other people's reviews of this place.

Pittsburgh
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“You might miss out..”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

If you even have a PASSING interest in the rich history of Judeo-Christian scripture, Rome will keep you busy. One place you might miss is the Carcere Mamertino, the Mamertine prison. This is the prison where, according to some, Paul and Peter were temporarily imprisoned. You go down a half flight of stairs into the 4' room underneath. It's dank from a spring and there is a chair and a post with a chain on it that they say is where prisoners were kept.

Whether or not this is the exact location of that imprisonment, it does serve to show us how horrible that imprisonment was. The prison is a little hard to find and there's rarely anyone there. It's a short walk from the ancient part of Rome.

Visited March 2012
4 Thank KarlMessner
Virginia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Clash of expectations--”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I toured this site in November, 2012. I was really looking forward to being in the place where Paul (and probably Peter) were imprisoned and yet we have such stunning writing from Paul as he was facing certain death while held in such a moment of anticipated and experienced horror. My greatest surprise came from the, uh-docent, tour guide?? when she stated that many prisoners were simply drowned in the lower chamber and hence the sacrament of baptism was started. Please know that if your interest is in a Holy site, this location has been quite commercially corrupted. I have no idea who "owns" or operates the access, but it certainly could be made to be a true Spiritual experience, which would stand apart from the overt crassness that seems to be on display, but this is only my personal opinion. I was left with very mixed emotions.

Visited November 2012
4 Thank rrader

Been to Carcere Mamertino? Share your experiences!