“Don't go there unless the only thing you want is location”
Review of Hotel Beautiful

Hotel Beautiful
Ranked #3,137 of 3,664 Rome B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Don't go there unless the only thing you want is location”
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Great location about 2mins walk from the train station.
Make sure you have cash - they don't accept credit card. We paid 80 Euro per night ($160 NZD) for the following, grumpy staff, an elevator that sometimes worked, a broken toilet seat, a couch for a bed, dirty bathroom, left over food in the fridge from prev guests, air conditioner didn't work, grumpy staff at the cafe where the included breakfast was served, very small breakfast (1 croissant and coffee). Really over priced. We booked on Hostelbookers so thought it would be a hostel.. turns out it a hotel.

Suggest you pop round the corner for breakfast to the 'Tourist Cafe' opp the train station, Bacon and Eggs for 7 Euro and staff that were happy to see you!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Matlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Basic but comfortable hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. Perfect location near the station and in the city centre. BUT I stayed there two nights in room 407 and was badly bitten by bugs. The hotel needs to do something about this.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mattandjane
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Beautiful for three nights over Easter with my partner and a friend. We shared a room with en-suite and paid approx. £100 between us per night. The room was basic, but clean with single beds which could be turned into bunk beds. The beds were comfy and seemed quite new. No problems with bed bugs at all. The bathroom was okay, but we were without hot water on one day and the shower curtain did not reach the bottom of the shower cubicle, so getting water all over the floor was unavoidable! The only other issue was that the Wi-Fi did not work on our floor (3rd) but did on the 2nd and 4th floors...

I didn't feel insecure in or around the hostel, but I wasn't travelling alone, so this probably helped. However, as the weekend was quite warm, we did want to sleep with the windows open, but the noise from the street made this pretty much impossible. No problems with people ringing the buzzer though, and when we rang to get in at night, the door was always opened promptly.

Given that the hostel is right next to Termini I was surprised to find a couple of decent value bars and pizzerias just round the corner. I note that other reviewers have commented that is is difficult/expensive to get around Rome from this hostel, but I strongly disagree. The Metro services from Termini make the sights of the city centre easily accessible and single tickets, valid for a journey of up to 75 minutes, are 1euro. Similarly, one night we did choose to get a taxi from close to Spagna Metro, back to Termini, and to do so was only 8.50euro.

All in all, a decent place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank AmyandMatt_9
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I am a solo (older) female traveller who wanted a bargain. I stayed for 4 nights at the Hotel Beautiful and everything was as I expected for 17 euros a night B&B in the heart of Rome... 2 minutes walk from Ciampino bus transfer (Terravision book online for 8 euros return). Accommodation was really clean. Water was ALWAYS hot for a shower. NO bed bugs! Really quiet and definitely no-one ever ringing a buzzer. I was in a 4-bed dorm and met great fellow travellers from England, Netherlands, Japan, France and Venezuela. We all enjoyed getting to know each other and then respected the need to be quiet and to keep the light off. Breakfast token was spent at the cafe next door and gave a pastry and coffee/juice - it was so good to sit and mingle with native Romans. Staff on reception always friendly and helpful. I also used the free internet service from local laundomat,

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
amsterdam
Reviewed February 7, 2011

As a female student traveling on my own, I booked a single room for a week. The room was dark and smelly. Hot water was scarce, every day I had to take an ice cold shower.
There have been nights I just could not sleep. One reason for this is that before entering the hostel, you have to ring the bell so the staff can open the door. I think that the staff sometimes slept at night: the bell was ringing for almost half an hour.. I could not sleep because of the continuing noise, so I had to get out of my bed at night to open the door for the guest. The bell was really horrifying, it woke me up every night. There were also a lot of very loud drunk persons walking through the hostel when I tried to get my sleep. At the end of the week I was exhausted.
The man working in the evening at the information desk I found very strange. For this reason I did not like to return late at night. However, not all the staff was like his: the cleaner was extremely friendly!
Though the price is low, this hostel was far below beneath my expectations. I do not recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank sanroma92

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

joburg
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Probably the worst hostel in the world..the name is a complete misnomer. The window would not shut so the homeless/drunk people yelled all night and we could not sleep. Needless to say we didnt feel very safe ....the actual toilet is actually INSIDE the shower...and my sister was eaten alive by bed bugs. It also costs a lot to get to and from everything in Rome.....you cant catch the train at night ebcasue its usch a dodgy area and taxis are not cheap...so what you save on the price you pay anyway on tranpsort just to get to see anything. We left the next morning. I have been to better hostels in India and thats really saying something!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Northern Ireland
Reviewed May 21, 2009

It was ok for a cheap 1 night stay which was what we wanted it for but I wouldn't advise booking a double room for longer - the room had no window and was very stuffy. Also we booked a double bed and got twin beds - not great if you are looking a romantic break!! No one told us about breakfast so we didn't have any. On the up side it was very close to Termini (if tricky to find in the dark), was clean and let us leave our luggage after check out.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple