Hostel Happy Days
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Rome
See available hotels
  • Free Internet
Florida(Rome)
Good 3.5/5
  • Free Internet
Great 4.5/5
Very Good 4/5
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Additional comments unnecessary - Agree with the other travelers!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank varoojan13
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I am kind of surprised at all of the negative reviews on here. I am not sure whether or not I was lucky, or if other people are blowing things out of proportion.

On bed bugs: I will say that I stayed there for 8 nights, and did not have a single incident with bed bugs, as many have reported. It is probably also important to note that I was there in January -- this may have played a role in the absence of bed bugs.
On the staff: The staff was for the most part very helpful. They were willing to call me a cab when I needed one, and were knowledgable about the area. It was a little bit unprofessional, in that one evening I came home to find a friend of one of the staff sleeping in my bed. However, he apologized and gave me clean sheets, so it was not a big deal. It is true that there is a lockout every day from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., but this is really not a big deal in a city like Rome -- you can find plenty to do in that span of time.
On the location: The location is simply amazing, especially for the cost. I was doing research at the Vatican Library, and it was literally a 7-minute walk from the door of my hostel to the front door of the library. It is also a short walk from the Piazza de Popolo and the Villa Borghese (15-20 minutes). It is also not especially far from the historic center of Rome if you (30 minutes). It is also located especially close to two different metro stations (Ottaviano and Lepanto), and there is also a taxi stand a 5-minute walk from the hostel. In other words, you can easily get to anywhere in Rome by multiple modes of transportation from the hostel.
Cleanliness: This is one area that was certainly not excellent, but was also not horrible. The fact that they close from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day to "clean" would make one think that the rooms would be spotless, and they certainly are not.
Sleep Quality: I lucked out in this category. By going in a down part of the season, I ended up with essentially my own room for six of the eight nights I stayed there, despite paying for a 9-bed room. I didn't have to deal with people coming in and out all night, and got a good nights' sleep every night I was there. If you are going in January, there is a decent chance you get a good deal like what I got.

So, on the whole the stay at the hostel was a pleasant bed bug-less experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Jacob L
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I stayed at this hostel with a group of friends from my study abroad program in Barcelona after we finished. When we arrived the place was dirty, the elevator hardly worked, and the employees were all males (kind of uncomfortable if something were to happen which....). One of the employees became obsessed with my friend i was traveling with, telling her he loved her, trying to give her spaghetti when she was trying to go in the bathroom. While she was sleeping he was standing in her room by her bed playing with her sheets!!!!

We promptly checked out, received a refund and moved to a hotel. All 4 of our other females friends and 1/2 male friends did the same!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank runBolder
Reviewed February 22, 2011

The hostel is located in a nice shopping street. It is nice to just walk around the area and find some nice places.
You can also walk 10 min to get to st. peter's which is really awesome to visit at night.
It takes about 5 min to get to the metro station but I would consider another alternative during rush hour, maybe rent a bike or something.
You can also walk to the piazza del popolo which is a really nice walk across the tiber on a beautiful bridge.

The hostel staff is very nice, they help you wherever they can and sometimes organise little parties with free sangria in the lounge area of the hostel. They were always nice and helped to make it a really comfortable stay. The only thing that caused some difficulty was that we needed some official receipt for our reservation (since our trip was partly covered by tuition fees from our university). The staff at first didn't understand what we meant and then they had to get it from their boss, who was unfortunately not available for a couple of days -.-

Some things I didn't like: the showers. They are really old and dirty, remember to bring some slippers or something like that to wear while showering. Also, bring a Mirror so you don't need access to the bathroom for doing your make up because there are way not enough bathrooms available.
Also, bring some locks to lock your suitcases because although they say there are lockers in every room, these have no locks and it's not possible to lock the doors either.
I also brought my own sheets because those from the hostels looked really old and creepy and I wouldn't want to sleep in those...

The breakfast costs 2€ but its not that much so you could also just buy your own stuff from a local super market. I recommend rolls with tomatos, mozzarella and green pesto on it :)

There is free Internet and some sort of balcony for smokers in the lounge area.
The guests were very international, we met some Americans, some Chinese people and some guys from France (We are Germans).

Overall, I would recommend this hostel because it was really cheap, located in a nice neighborhood and the staff was nice and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank CCB_11
Reviewed November 3, 2010

This hostel is unbelievably terrible. Security is so lax that anyone could walk in. There are no locks on the doors and no way to lock up your personal items. They claim that the hostel is open 24 hours, but from 11am to 4pm they lock you out to "clean," when really they don't do anything at all, and at midnight they close the common room and kitchen. WiFi is free, breakfast is 2 euros and not worth it, towels are also 2 euros. Every night the staff plays loud music, and they just walk into your room whenever they want. There was a creepy old man who "worked" there, who slept in the dorms with us and was overly touchy to all the girls.
The manager was a jerk. When my friend's wallet was stolen, he refused to let her make any calls on the hostel phone (we didn't have mobiles with us). He also yelled at us for coming back "late" (11:30 pm) and made a big deal about how he had to open the door for us, which wouldn't have been a problem if we had keys.
The bathrooms are disgusting, and the showers are freezing. They also flood the bathroom floor.
The location is great, and if you're looking for a party there is one every night until 11 or so in the common room, but other than that this hostel had nothing to offer. There was no sense of "assisting the customer" or even basic respect. When the only decent quality of a hostel is the people you meet who are also staying there, clearly it was a pretty bad one.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends