“This camp site was great for me”

Flaminio Village Bungalow Park
Ranked #52 of 1,100 Specialty Lodging in Rome
Glasgow
“This camp site was great for me”
Reviewed November 18, 2010

This was my third visit to Rome and the first time I brought my own tent. I had stayed at the Plus Camping site on the west side of Rome on my previous visits. I had enjoyed both previous stays there but as a solo traveller this year Plus camping were charging double price for their tent. so I decided to take my own and try Flaminio which is to the north of the centre. It was late when I arrived, I had just caught the last train and it was raining heavily. I managed to erect the tent in the dark and keep relatively dry at the same time and when comfortably settled in the tent enjoyed a great night's sleep. A Dutch neighbour in an adjoining tent was very friendly and helpful. The next morning it was bright and warm and I set out to enjoy the sights of Rome. It was easier and quicker to get to the centre from Flaminio than it had been from plus camping but like plus camping there is not much space for tents and the ground is slightly uneven and hard. There is a station pretty close to the camp site and there is a supermarket too although it is hidden round a corner and it took me several days to find it. The weather was great and once my tent was set up I was free to explore all day and rest at my tent in the evening. Next time I will take my wife with me if she is happy to camp. The toilets were kept very clean and classical music was played continually.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Scotpacker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Sold as a 4 star hotel. It is not.
As chalet accommodation at a camp site they are very good. Our cabin was large, spacious & warm (October). It was well looked after and clean. There is a good restaurant where a reasonable breakfast is served. Next to it is the camp shop. There is also a supermarket near by.
Down sides: The restaurant is up a bit of a hill, but close to our chalet. It is a long walk to the entrance.
Travel to/ from Rome - Oh dear! Very Italian.
You take a dirty graffiti covered train from Flaminio by Piazza del Popolo which is good for the Borghese museum & Metro A line. Take the first train. It will either stop at Due Pont or not. If not it will stop at Saxa Rubra and you take the first train back. Same rule applies. Either way there is an oblong red button by the door under the emergency lever. Count the stations (five - it probably won't stop at all of them) and then press the button. If you don't it will sail through Due Pont unless someone else has. Walk off the Rome end of the platform and up to the dual carriageway. Turn left, cross the blind bend of the slip road and carry on down the dual carriageway (past the supermarket). There is a dirt path most of the way. A short way down is a traffic light controlled crossing by the camp entrance.
By bus: C2 & 3 appear to be ghost buses. 200 runs every 20 minutes to Piazza Mancini on the northern outskirts where a tram will take you to Flaminia. Better to get off at the motorway bridge and catch a 32 to the Vatican. The stop is under the bridge & there is an electronic count down to say when buses will arrive.
Definitely buy a Travel pass or Roma Pass and frank it in the yellow box for the first journey (this validates it). You will use public transport a lot. The Roma Pass lets you walk past the long ticket queue at the Colosseo(um) (but not at the Vatican). Do read up on the pass

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pg0153
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2010

I stayed for 8 nights in total here
- 4 nights Rome, 4 nights Sorrento, 4 nights Rome

Location:
The way to the site is not the easiest or the nicest but it’s certainly doable. There are things that they 'the campsite' cannot affect, like having decent pathways or an easier approach or less busy roads to cross
10 min walk to the station, 15 min train ride to rome, 15 min tube ride to termini - cost E1 for 75 min travel - you need to buy a ticket before you travel & validate it in the machine on the train. You can buy one from the receptionist either on the day or on the day before.

Staff:
The receptionists was competent and polite
The courtesy bus drive was polite and uncomplaining
The information point receptionist was helpful & enthusiastic
The breakfast staff & restaurant staff were polite & helpful (the restaurant staff more so)
The last day was a bit of a hassle I needed to buy a ticket but the receptionist was late so I took a risk and traveled without one (which I would not normally do - but I neeed to catch my plane)

The Food:
Breakfast: consists of a roll, selection of croissants, and a selection of jams, hot chocolate, coffee, blood orange juice & a barista from whom you can request a freshly made coffee latte/ cappuccino
Evening Meal: I had two meals here, both were fantastic, the pizza good, house wine very nice and the panacotta bliss

The site:
Think Pontins but more up market.
Please remember that this is a park, it is not a hotel.
The cabins do have thin walls but they are perfectly adequate if people are considerate - which they were
The grounds are well maintained & free of rubbish and litter
The laundry facilities were expensive E5 to wash and another E5 to dry but they were very welcome (automatically dispenses laundry powder in the machine)
Wifi for a price of E5 for 3 days - not bad

The Cabins: Venenzia 12, then 18 which I changed to 29
My first one was good, it was clean and the bed was comfortable
The bathroom was a bit aged but clean and large enough
The heating & air con worked well
My second visit the cabin was not as nice – the curtains did not close too, the bed spread was not clean (the sheets were), the light socket in the bathroom was cracked, the exterior of the shower was a bit mouldy & dirty
I immediately went to the reception and was provided with an alternative with no quibble (a new cabin – fantastically clean & comfortable - it did smell closed in but an open window sorted that). When you complain be reasonable and coherant, there is no reason to loose your temper.
Noise: There did not tend to be much noise except for my very last night when a Spanish man stood outside his cabin talking on his mobile phone but when I indicated he’d woken me up he moved along. There was the occassional sound of dogs, but they did not affect my sleep
Just remember that in most places there are only two TV channels in English, a news one and a music one. I would travel with a portable DVD player etc if I was traveling with children (thank goodness for ebooks)

Clientele:
Nuclear families with older children, or a larger group consisting of many different branches & generations of the same family, small group adult backpackers (3 max), international in feel. I went during half term as a solo traveller (didn’t realise it was half term when I booked my holiday), I think that I was defiantly in the minority (saw one other single traveller whilst I was there), I encountered surprise but nothing unpleasant and the staff were never anything but helpful.

Please be aware that this is a park with a mixture of cabins/ camping and campervans, it is not a hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank FionaRose
Switzerland
Reviewed November 2, 2010

We recently stayed for six days at Village Flaminio in a bungalow, 13 to 19 October.
I am very dissapointed to say our stay was not pleasant.
I had read bot neutral and negative reviews but approached the accomodation with an open mind.
Firstly it was advertised as a hotel which it is not. It is simply a camping ground with cabins

My family and I have travelled the world off and on, for seven years. In terms of service and comfort Village Faminio was probably the worst.
Let me list for you our concerns:
The 'double' bed was terribly uncomfortable. It had a bar across and a thin mattress. The springs were stretched. It was noisy and made a night's sleep impossible. I informed the reception and asked for another mattress (or new bed) and was given two thin blankets!
The lino on the floor was ripped.
The bathroom sink and shelves were not level.
Worst of all. My daughter has carried with her for many years two items that she has grown up with; a small cloth and a set of small 'worry' dolls in a small black cloth case. She keeps these under her pillow. In the morning she made her bed but when we returned at night we found that her bed had been remade and the two very dear and treasured items were gone! Apparently when the cleaners bought in the two blankets for our bed they remade our girl's beds. There was no request for this and no reason for it as we had only been there one night and the beds were already made. I went to reception at 10PM and was simply listened too but no real concern was evident.
I was promised a note would be left for cleaners. When I checked in the morning it had not.
When I returned in the afternoon I was told the cleaners never changed the bed linen. This was a lie either by reception or cleaners!
We requested replenishment of toilet paper and was told by reception they would do this. Upon return at night found they hadn't.
General service at reception was cold and we were usually ignored or treated abruptly,
The site boasts four stars. This is in no way applicable. The comfort was horrible. No place in the bungalow to sit comfortably. the freezer did not work. The TV was fuzzy. The air conditioning remote did not work (and when I asked for it to be fixed it was not)
What was good were the Breakfast staff and the information desk staff. Also the shuttle driver. Other than that I am sad to say we received terrible service and much discomfort as well as being lied to, and having lost treasures.
Not a place for a restful retreat.
M

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank KiwiSwitzerland

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We traveled to rome for a weekend break, our friends booked for us to go along with them so we did not choose this horrible place our selves and we did not know what we were about to experience!!
Upon arriving at about 11.30 we met two very arrogant ladies sitting behind the reception desk, (i speak and understand italian very well so i could understand every tiny word they were saying to eachother,(and they were not speaking nicely about us ) )i think they prefer if no one comes in so they just sit there stare at the wall and do nothing that is why they were not nice to us maybe , i have no idea...... any way , we were not given our room which is reasonable as check in is at 3 pm, so we left this place and went out in rome,
at about 11.30 pm we went to our room.. or box i dont know what to call it , whatever it is it is a horrible squarish thing with two single beds inside a very very very very small bath room, this place is about 40 years old, immagine 40 years?????????????? and i am sure nothing has been ever changed or repared !!! horrible, the bathroom was very smelly, and dirty !!! the bed i am sure was full of bed mites, because as soon as we got in we felt itchy all over and when we got out of bed the itching stops!! Horrible... if we could we would have changed the hotel but we could not as we checked in the room late !!

The break fast is a disaster, yes they have coffee and yes they have bread but the place i sooo dirty and old , it makes you go insane!!!!!

we asked directions at the reception to go to a particular street in rome and the recpetion staff kept saying " difficult to go with bus, difficult and complicated to go with train" so we thought ok no problem we would not mind getting a taxi, but they just said no taxi !!! NO TAXI ??? i would not be surprised if the taxi would not wanna come this this hell hole!! so we just left and we got an the first bus that came and it took is to stadio olimpico from there we got another bus and voila we arrived to our destination without the arrognat help we Flaminio village offeres!!

so Finally finally the day i have been waiting for has arrived , the day of our departure from this hell hole, Thank GOD it did not rain other wise we would have gotten soaking wet yesterday morning as we got out of the room because they would not let the taxi come for us inside as we were leaving at 4 am!!! there is a 10 min walk from this box we had to sleep in to the reception !!

any way luckily as soon as we arrived at the recetion we saw our mercedes shuttle car we called for our sleves waiting for us to take is to the airport away from this disaster...

the experience at flamnio Village stained our stay in rome, it ruined our holiday,,, after a day out and about getting all tired we always look forward to a nice room with a nice clean bathroom and a good comfy bed so we can relax and recharge for another tiring day, instead here we always looked forward to the end of this stay here !!!

i hope my review helps you not to stay at Flaminio Village !!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MariaAttard163
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I cannot believe the people who thought they should be getting 4* hotel etc: It was so obvious from the start of booking that this would be a bungalow/chalet on a campsite: and a lovely, well-organised campsite too. The three things i noticed on booking were: price - £45 per night inc breakfast - do you really expect to pay much less than this? - the fact that it was a bungalow village - suits me - plenty of open-air and campsite style facilities available till midnight - and 5km from centre - surely it makes sense to look at transport before booking this; in fact it's a 1€ ticket for each trip - that's the CityTrain (15mins) from Due Ponti (5 mins walk) and the ticket still valid for total of 75mins, so you can take bus/metro to your sightseeing destination eg Coliseo or st Peters for no extra. On the one night we couldnt get back early enough, we took a taxi to recption :22€ - you pays your money and you takes your choice, Restaurant was fairly priced - slightly shocking to be surrounded by smokers on all sides -inc a waiter! But, as Ron Burgundy would say "When in Rome..." Shower in chalet was a bit of a Roman bath experience (frigidarium/caldarium alternating) But campsite shower block (2mins walk) was exquisite - Radio 3-style (ie not ClassicFM) music playing... Enjoy, and read what it says on the tin!!! PS V good aircon units in rooms- Rome was 38 degrees so v necessary!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
LONDON
Reviewed August 16, 2010

If you want a hotel, not a campsite, DO NOT GO HERE. This is a campsite not a hotel. we booked expecting a hotel but instead we got a small caravan/chalet 2 twin beds when asked for double, 20 mins away from city center, disgusting management, 10 minute walk frm reception to cabin. DO NOT GO HERE!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family