Casa di Iginia e Paolo Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2,960 of 3,711 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights and it was great in every way, except for it's location, which is a bit of a walk to most of the attractions. It's not too far, just not right in the heart of it. I stayed in a double room with ensuite. Comfortable bed, fridge in room which is great for self catering sandwiches and cold meals, lots of light, spacious and a very lovely but not intrusive hostess. Breakfast provided was of average quality (toast, cereals, juice, sliced cheese) but really good coffee compared to other bnbs I've stayed at and also you can eat as much as you like compared to other places which limit you. I would have stayed longer if I could and would not hesitate in recommending this place to anyone. It's not a luxury hotel but it's certainly very comfortable and pleasant and has everything you need.

• Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

We had a really bad experience at this b&b. First of all, there is no front desk to welcome you. The b&b is located in a locked building so you can't come in easily: you need to call the owner (what if you don't have a phone?!?!?) so they can open the door. When we arrived, nobody was there and we had to wait for 10 minutes for the owner to arrive.

- Iginia was really rude. She was unpolite and didn't care about us. She wouln't even respond when saying hi at breakfast time.

- They advertised a home made breakfast but all we had was a kind of unfrozen croissant, cereal (but they ran out of milk EVERY single morning after 45 minutes), chemical fruit juice and toasts.

- They ran out of maps everyday so they provided us a map on our departure day... Too late!

- the shower was broken and nobody came to fix it so the door was falling on you and the water was all over the bathroom. (we were there for 3 days and nothing changed)

- Our fridge was warm so couldn't keep any food.

- really noisy area!!!! Don't try to sleep after 7am...

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed February 2, 2012

You must not only consider your budget when traveling but also be realistic about your expectations and exactly what you need a hotel room for. If you are traveling for hotel experience and pampering - this is NOT your hotel.

However, if you are a single traveler, couple or a group of friends - who are mainly in your room for sleeping and while there you expect it to be clean, safe and comfortable as well as reasonable. This is one of the best solutions I've found in the over 25 years I've been visiting Rome.

Safe and elegant neighborhood: You are not in a tourist trap. The building itself is Italian residential with its neighborhood shops, restaurants and business establishments. Just off Via Veneto - this is your dolce vita for a fraction of the cost. The bus drops you off or picks you up within a block or two from the residence.

I could not recommend this B&B highly enough for its unpretentious, solid service. You have to wait for a response? Yes, sometimes you do - get used to it, you are coming to Italy - there is no hurry here. :) If you really need a response - use Skype and let Paolo know you really, really need to know soon.

I get tired of reading reviews from whining people who are simply not happy even at home - they should not be traveling. If you are traveling, you have a sense of adventure - Enjoy! The money you save here you can spend on gelatto.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Julie M
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The room was a good size, the TV did not work. We were told that internet access was included, but everyday we were told the internet was not working in Rome. Breakfast was basic with 3 types of cereal, various packages of jams and jellies.
Good coffee. Decent size basic bathroom. We found the staff helpful. Far from the Metro but near a bus stop. In a good neighborhood. Japanese embassy half block away. US Embassy about 3 blocks away.

Room Tip: Look at the room first
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I try to book this guest house through the internet 2 times (once by request and second time by their website) -- firstly, I did not receive any reply for a request for a double room for like 2 days, which I thought was unprofessional, as usually most hotel or guest house respond to you within 24 hours. Then I saw on their website reservation showing there are rooms availabile with shared bathroom, so I thought ok if I can't get a private bathroom, I don't mind sharing a bathroom for a couple of days. Eveything was confirmed with my credit card details (well, that's the whole point of a web based online reservation system isn't it, that you know instantly something is available or not) -- but after 2 DAYS (yes, it takes two days) after my online reservation is confirmed suddenly I get an email from the owner saying there is no room available, and this happened just a few days before my departure.

Now we are left with nowhere to stay in Rome. Unusually, if a place is NOT available (I appreciate it can happen sometimes), the hotel inform you right away or WITHIN 24 HOURS of your booking that it is full, then you can make alternative plans.

I have no idea what they are up to, but all I know is they are slow to respond and very unreliable so my guess is if their customer service is already so bad before you arrive there, don't expect anything when you get there.

A word of warning to the long distance travellers -- even if you think you have booked a room, don't bet on it. You might get an email from the owner just days before you arrive that you actually don't have a room, like I did.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lillerie
Reviewed May 5, 2011

We booked this B&B in Jan for 2nights in April (so well in advance) - once we eventually found the place (not 500m from station as described!) we were then told that they were full and we would have to go back the way we came to someone's friend and stay at their place. Upon arrival there we were then taken to a third place! We had paid for an en-suite bathroom and this place only had a shared bathroom. It was right at the top of a building and was cramped and dirty. We had already pd in full and the new lady could barely speak english so nothing we could do really. We felt quite sorry for the owner as she was obviously doing the B&B a favour by accomodating us (it was Easter w/e) but it was such a let-down and not worth the cash we had paid at all. It really did put a dampener on the whole trip. All in all, I would not reccomend this B&B as it seems quite a scam and they take advantage of the fact that we have already paid so there is nothing you can do unless you can afford to pay for a new place!

Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Macanni
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I went to Rome with my older sister (I'm 19 and she is 23) at the end of April. We had walked from the station to the b&b and got to the road that it said it was on, but couldn't find it! But it was hidden behind scafolding! Needless to say it didn't look very nice! We then managed to work out that it is on the 3rd floor in a block of flats- with no lift (not a problem just bare it in mind!). We were shown to our room and where everything was (not that there was a lot!). The room was a good size but NOT as big as it looks in photos, actually none of the photo's look like they actually do. The bed wasn't comfortable and we had a view of the scafolding out of window. We couldn't close the doors of the window properly and there was A LOT of noise throughout the night and car alarms and horns going off early in the morning. The shower I used first didn't drain quick enough and therefore flooded and also the shower door fell off! It wasn't very clean either. I used the other shower (we had shared facilities) was about 60cm square and tiny! I am not small but neither am I big and I found it very hard to get washed! Breakfast: Well... In the photos and explanations it looks and sounds quite nice... no! There was a choice of 2 cereals, bread and some pre-frozen processed covered in sugar coisant! We had to eat on plastic plates and bowls and drink from plastic cups- very glamourous! The lady in charge looked very scary and was very blunt and slightly rude about everything. On the last day we asked her what time we needed to leave the room (at 9.20) thinking she would say 12noon as this is what it says or even 10am as standard. She said now. What?!? She told us we had to leave the room now as other people had changed their mind and wanted a room without a shower so needed out room. We said we hadn't packed so she told us to pack and leave the room. I'm not entirely sure why we had to go so quickly as the other people we already there and didn't need to sleep in it or anything! Anyway, we vacated the room and she immediately ushered the other people into the room- knowing she hadn't changed the sheets or cleaned it! Ew! I hope it wasn't like that when we arrived! She then accused me of stealing a mini basket thing that was actually in the room she just hadn't looked properly! We left our luggage there when we went out for a few hours but locked our bags just in case! I wouldn't saty here again, but if you are on a budget, it's in a pretty good location - about 15minutes walk from the Spanish Steps. Rome is amazing and you should go there! I'd pay slightly more for my hotel next time though!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a much better hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family