“fantastic location”

Add it.
Francesca Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3,350 of 3,743 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The location is just perfect to visitors of the Vatican Museum as it is just a few blocks away from the museum's gate...The place is indeed quiet, quite affordable and it was a plus that our intention to stay was accepted despite the very last minute booking

however, if you're claustrophobic and does not like rooms which are not well lit, this is not the property for you... as others previously mentioned it is in a basement, which we only found out only after booking it in hotels.com (we had a sudden change of plan so we have to extend for a few days in Rome) .having this property advertised in hotels.com is a bit deceiving as of course you'll get the notion that it is somewhat comparable to hotel services to at least a two star hotel...

As it is a B&B, breakfast was also available - pocket cup cakes and a couple of milk boxes are available in the fridge...

Nevermind that we came 30 minutes earlier than notified time of arrival, as we rung the doorbell, we we're told that the owner Gabrielle has not arrived yet so we need to give him a call for us to come in.. unfortunately, our phone cannot make calls... so we have to wait outside the gate.. the lady who answered our doorbell came out and kindly let us use her phone but we cannot contact Gabrielle...little that we know that, Maria, the nice lady , is Gabrielle's caretaker.. she cannot speak straight english, and i am not sure if she can understand us well too, but we managed to make sign languages and maybe out of pity... she led us to our room.

to cut the long story short... we were indeed disappointed but at least we had a roof to stay for a night (although we booked for 2) and we had a good shower (with the mini shower) before we left for the airport.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bluealistair

Reviewed May 22, 2012

The room is located in a basement and it is very dark all the day long. Towels were not changed during all our stay (7 days) making it very uncomfortable. No receipt was given by the Bed&Breakfast (I asked for many times). The last day, we were moved to another room in another bed & breakfast which was not well located for us. Moreover, the flat does not allow to have a peaceful environment because no soundproofing.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank geheza
Reviewed January 23, 2010

the property failed badly on reception,services & breakfast. there was no-one to meet us on arrival. it was raining & we had no access to the property.luckily a resident let us into the courtyard & helped us to contact the owner(we had no Italian language). on the phone the owner abused us for not contacting him about arrival time-he said he had sent several emails(a lie). we finally gained access & owner asked for cash up front-he pressured us for payment next day when we told him we didn't have the cash. breakfast was terrible-packaged cakes(pictures on his website shows bacon & eggs in the fridge. owner said he would arrange for our taxi to airport on departure-he didn't-we were running up & down the nearest intersection trying to hail a taxi for half an hour-we almostissed our flight. don't stay here the service is diabolical.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2009

My wife and I live in Italy. My family came over to visit so we decided to take a trip to Rome. We found this supposed B and B on several websites and thought it hit what we are looking for.

Wrong!!! Here is my breakdown, I'll start with Pros so I am not a negative Nancy.

Pros - location to Vatican, rooms are ok.

Cons -

- Power goes out everytime someone takes a shower which are big enough to fit a small teenager.....maybe.

- air-conditioner is too small to cool rooms in summer and constantly overflow and need a bucket dumped. Very hot in summer months. The owner needs to quit being cheap and buy a wall mounted a/c unit or atleast buy fans. There are also signs posted to leave the A/C off during the summer months due to the flooding from these units. It's always nice coming back to a room that is 100 degrees with a screaming baby, I'd rather sit outside and wait an hour or so until it gets slightly cool enough to come inside.

- Breakfast is a joke. Pre-packaged bread cakes is not what we expected.

- Owner tried to make us pay in cash. My wife and I believe is a tax evading criminal so we wanted to use our credit card so there is proof of purchase through our bank. Don't let him swindle you. Tell him you do not have a pin code to your debit card so you cannot pull out cash.

- We opted for the pick-up service. It was me, my mom and dad, wife, and 2 month old baby girl. He brought a vehicle with 4 available seats and expect my wife to hold my baby. Plus a stroller, 2 suitcases...... We finally fit everything in there but it was a cramped right, that's for sure.

- We again opted for his airport delivery service at 6am to get my family to the airport. He did not show. He did not answer his phone. He stood up my family to include a 2 month old on the side of the road. We had to walk over a mile to a cab station. In the end, the cabbie was 10 Euro cheaper and 10x more friendlier than the guy who runs this "B/B"

Overall - Do not stay at this place. If I would have read the reviews before I went, I would have canceled my reservation right away. Save your money and find a B and B that has great reviews. Don't necessarily settle on location. The subway is very good and can get you anywhere.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Buford0
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Pros:
Location: The location was great. It was close to the Vatican, next to a market, and there were several restaurants, ATMs, and coffee shops nearby. It was also close to the subway which made getting around Rome a lot easier.

Room: The rooms were large enough and had private bathrooms but make sure you carry all the toiletries that you will need as there is no soap or shampoo available.

Cons:
Staff: I had coordinated with the owner and told him that there were 4 adults and a 2 month old infant when he offered to pick us up from the airport. He showed up with a car that was too small to hold everyone and expected me to hold my infant in my arms for the 40 min drive from the airport to the apartment. My husband had damaged his seat trying to get into the vehicle and the guy argued with him and demanded 100 Euro to fix it. We did not pay. The man charged us 45 Euro to pick us up from the airport. He had told us that he would pick us up at 615AM the day we were to leave with a bigger car. We waited 15 min and tried to call him numerous times but he never answered or showed up. We had to walk the 15 min to the Vatican at 630AM with a 2 month old to catch a taxi in order make it to the airport in time. Of note, the taxi only cost 40 Euro. Also, the guy insisted on cash and argued when we wanted to pay for the place w/ a credit card. I finally told him that I didn't have a pin number for the card which was the only way to get him to drop the cash issue and accept a credit card.

Room: The room advertised AC but it was portable AC units which we were told to turn off when we were not at the apartment. The room never got below 82 degrees. Also, the breaker tripped every time the 2 ACs were running (1 per bedroom) and someone took a shower.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Allylovesdogs1980
Reviewed May 31, 2008

We just got back from Rome and I can not say this loud enough do not stay at this place. We got our reservations for the Francesea B&B in Rome, but this is not what we got. We got an apartment that was pretty shabby. The website states Visa/MC but when we got there we were informed that they can't take it and they want cash, which we did not have enough of they wanted us to take cash against our CC--no way. So we had a fight (he was mad at me) and we had to go home and had to have the money wired to them. In the mean time while we finished our vacation they preceded to call my house and harass my husband for the money .Very unprofessional!! This is just a scam they just don't want to pay the taxes and to me any business that acts in this way is not a place I want to do business with. Also they say you get breakfast of course we did not and had to got out each morning another expense, and we ran out of toilet paper and could not find a store to purchase some so we had to do door to door to find some. I highly recommend that you find other accommodation if you have already booked this place as you will not be happy with this people.

Rhonda

2  Thank CuMoChi
Reviewed November 2, 2007

This bed and breakfast was NOTHING like what was booked. We booked a three bedded bed and breakfast and was given an apartment with 2 beds. The owners conveniently forgot how to speak english except for when requesting the money up front before the stay. As we had arrived in Rome at 9.30 at night, had never been to Rome before, had no idea where in Rome we were and did not know where other hotels were, we were stuck accepting the alternative. If we had been contacted prior to this that this is what they had intended was to swap our accomodations we may have been more accepting, however we were put in a position where we had no option but to accept. The couple who took us to the address of the apartment only spoke Italian but they got their daughter on the phone who owned the apartment and she spoke English when it suited. The address and photos on the website [--] I believe do not exist as the address our taxi driver dropped us off us at was another apartment building, NOT A B&B AS PER THE PHOTOS. This was not a good experience, although the apartment was nice and was private, we had to purchase breakfast every day, 2 of us had to share a bed, someone came in every morning into the building at 3am and made an extremely loud noise that woke me up every night. I would not recommend this place as it was not what was advertised and you end up paying for something you are not getting.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank glenlea