“good value for money”

Ranked #1,030 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Oxford, United Kingdom
“good value for money”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Visited Rome for a midweek break in May. I was lazy & arranged transport which turned out a good idea as it took us a good 40minutes from the airport. The Hotel was difficult to find as had a few other small plaques adverising their hotel. We found that we were aprox 15 mintes strole from the main attractions (steps,fountain) but away from the business of the loud, heavy Italian traffic. Arriving earlier than check in but the staff were helpful & sorted us our room asap. We were very suprised as the entrance looks rather grubby & tired but taking the lift was a luxury.Our room was very spacious, light & clean with wonderful shutters that allowed us to keep the bright sun out whether first thing, so we slept comfortably & longer than expected, or during the day to keep the room cooler.
The breakfast was served on the next floor, this was pretty good with cereals, breads, pastries yogurts plus all the tea, coffee & juices you will need to start the day.
Over all if your looking for a reasonably priced hotel, within easy walking distance of all the lovely sights but a quieter position this is a good option.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jcp1964

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Paris, France
Reviewed February 9, 2012

The location of the hotel is quite close to the metro Repubblica in a safe area of Rome. The staff was quite helpful although we arrived at the hotel around 12pm and we still had to wait 20min for the room to be ready.

We were only 2 however we were given a very big room for 4 persons. Having entered the room just after the cleaning man we expected top cleanliness. To our surprise, the room was very dirty: stains on the sheets and the moquette, dirty curtains & mould on the bathroom's walls. One window couldn't close properly and since we went to Rome during the exceptional snow weather, it let a cold airstream. The room was well equipped: soap and shampoo, 3 towels per person (clean), mini-fridge, air-conditioner (that took a while to start), hair dryer... The breakfast was quite poor.

During the last hour of our trip, I lost my wallet with my ID so there was no possibility of taking the plane back to Milan. I had the idea to call the hotel since they do a photocopy of our IDs at the check-in (the flight company was ok with the photocopy). However, the staff told me that unfortunately they throw everything after check-out. No possibility for me to take back the plane: I went back in train. According to the police officer (whom I talked to because of my lost wallet) hotel staff are obliged to keep all the documentation even after check-out. I guess they got a visit from the police the next day...

The hotel is more of a B&B. The building isn't only for Giotto Flavia but holds 2 or 3 other "hotels" that apparently share agreements. Breakfast is served for all the customers of these hotels at the 3rd floor of the building.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank elisabethabib

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

London
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We visited Rome in October 2011 for a long weekend, and used this hotel as our base. It's in a great location - close enough to the touristy things but far enough away to be out of the hustle and bustle. Our room was on the 6th floor and although rather spartan, was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was good and kept us going for a good long while (and the coffee machine at the entrance of the room makes really nice coffee).

Roses: the Receptionists were great, really friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and we didn't think it was too noisy at all, unlike other reviewers. Yes, there's traffic, but we still slept really well. We found some great restaurants close to the hotel, not only were their prices a LOT cheaper than the ones closer to the tourist attractions (as in half price) but the food and ambience were fantastic - Ristorante Il Sorriso and the pizza place literally around the corner from the hotel are highly recommended.

Thorns: The hotel is in dire need of refurbishment - the reception area is shabby and the carpet in the lobby needs a good scrub/ replacing. The room we stayed in had a dripping toilet which we couldn't stop and there were stains on the walls. It's the little things like this that make such a big difference and I think if they were sorted the hotel would be a lot more lucrative - it has a lot of promise but needs TLC and a good handyman.

We would consider going back because overall it was a good experience...but I'd make sure we got a room without a constantly dripping noise!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flothree
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Stayed 4 nights in Oct 2011. Judging by previous reviews things have improved! Staff were polite, friendly and helpful. The room was of a very good, clean standard. Noise from road was a bit much but it is in a city centre! Lots of good restaurants within minutes of hotel. Although we did not like Annicinquanta Pizzaria Griliera

Room Tip: Contact hotel directly if you want a quiet room
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank richven2
milano
Reviewed October 4, 2011

All in all the experience was ok since the staff is kind and that always help.
That said, the management of the hotel should really spare some cash to give rooms a fresh paint to get rid of those horrible big humidity stains on the walls. A hand of bleach here and there to deeply clean the inner part of shower doors would help too.
Breakfast is average (you can't get a real cappuccino or coffee in a Rome hotel but have to use automatic machines) but again, staff is nice and smiley so you can't really blame them as it's not their choice ...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank loidina
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The hotel realy tries to deliver a lot for the price, at least for Rome: free Wi-Fi, good breakfast included. It has a good location and though the rooms weren't great, I was actualy quite happy with the place untill I woke up to bed a bed-bug biting my neck. I caught a couple to show the front desk and they moved me to another room. That one also turned out to be infested.

Management was good about moving me to another room, and laundering the cloths I had taken out of my bag when in the first room that could have been contaminated. It bugged me that they tried to stick to the story that there were only a few bugs (the ones I caught) and that I had brought them with me in my bag from my last hotel in Florence. My hotel in Florence wasn't any nicer than here, but I never woke up there with bug-bites and there were a few indications that the bed-bug infestation at this hotel wasn't new (ie. Empty shells from when bedbugs grow).

I would avoid this hotel in the future. They'll need to admit they have a problem before they address it, then it will take some time. If looking for hotels in the area check the address, the building seemed to be split up by floor with at least one other hotel on one of the floors, I would steer clear of anything in the building.

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank DocB61
Bridgend
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I took my mother there for her birthday, as the hotel was recommended by a friend. The room was ok, tired looking in places but seemed clean. We had new towels everyday, and the room looked like it had been cleaned but upon closer inspection (under the bed) there was evidence of dust and rubbish which was not ours! I'm not fussy with such things and believe you get what you pay for.
It wasn't bad for location, 15 mins from Termini Station, and plenty of restaurants nearby which were nice and good value. It was noisy at night as the bin men came late to empty the bins directly beneath us, and you could hear the traffic mainly from the main road. Breakfast is basic, ok, does the job, nothing to get excited over! Very hot in the room though!
Some of the staff seemed friendly enough.
What put a dampner of things was that my mother forgot to put a necklace in the safe on our first morning there. By the time we got back from a day of sightseeing, she realised that the necklace had gone. We looked everywhere, but it was no where to be found. Sentimental value, not very expensive but still a disappointment.Was it the cleaner? Who knows?
Would I visit this hotel again? NO! I'm sure there are much better hotels there and wished I paid a bit more!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family