“Great place”

Ranked #1,792 of 3,758 Rome B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2006

After searching high and low for a reasonable hotel near the city center, we came across the All Comfort Astoria Palace. What a great find! The hotel was beautiful and our room was ready for us much earlier than their check-in time. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It is also very conveniently located - less than 2 minutes walk from the nearest Metro station. Our room also had a computer and free high-speed internet - very convenient.

We only had one problem: The day we left, we had to catch a train to the airport for a VERY early flight (6:35 am). The Metro doesn't start to run until 5:30 and you can't call much in advance to book a taxi, and they only offer their private "limo" taxi to/from the airport. While it was manageable, it was a bit inconvenient.

• Liked — Excellent value
  • Disliked — When the Metro isn't running, it's a bit far out
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Vicenza, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2006

Based on the negatives of the other two reviews I see I can only assume there is new management in place because this was a wonderful experience. The "all-girl" crew was friendly, helpful and went out of their way to make myself and daughters feel welcome. Rooms are VERY clean. AC is VERY cold. The neighborhood is relatively quiet (can't avoid siren's given the proximity of major hospitals in the area). The Metro is around the corner from the front door and with a bit of light exploration the food choices are very good. ATM across the street (near Blockbuster) and a PAM (grocers) within 5 blocks. Breakfast is a little tedious past the first day since it's the same meal every time, but all in all I'll be staying here again and appreciating my good fortune in finding this establishment. If you have the chance book the Venere suite as it incudes 24-7 access to a very nice patio.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank Lostyank
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2005

DO NOT STAY HERE! I booked the Luna room, paid my deposit and even emailed the owner a few days beforehand. Arrived at 1200 noon to find that they had sold my room to someone else and wanted to charge me 110 euros per night for another room. When I said that this was not on, the owner was extremely aggressive and intimidating and put my suitcase outside the hotel. He said that he didn't want me to stay in his hotel. After an argument he threw my deposit back at me and said I would be back as I wouldn't be able to find another hotel for 110 euros. I was very upset and left in tears. I spent the rest of the day (6 hours) trawling Rome and eventually ended up staying at with the Youth Hostel International Association (for 21 euros per night). However, the Astoria had kept my passport and I had to make the bus/metro journey back late at night to pick up my passport as they failed to fax a copy through to the Youth Hostel so that I could get checked in. I was travelling alone and find their behaviour appalling. Extremely prompt at putting my suitcase outside - not so in returning, or faxing through a copy of, my passport. Also, the hotel does not have the facilities it advertises. For example, there is no safety deposit box, fridge or internet access! REPEAT - DO NOT STAY HERE!

Stayed October 2005
6 Thank Jill F

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2005

The hotel is situated on the 4th floor of a building which has other offices in it. There is a nice old fashioned lift which takes you to the top floor. I am glad I booked this hotel because given the price and location it is a true find. I will admit that it is not in Centro Storico but having seen the quality of hotels in that area especially the noise, then I have no regrets. The good thing is that the hotel is situated practically in front of the hotel which is ideal for accessibility. The coach from the airport dropped me at Termini and from there it was two stops to the hotel, no dragging my luggage through the busy streets of Rome - Perfect. I stayed in the Luna suite which was tastefully decorated and very clean. My room was the only one without a en suite bathroom but it is only across the landing, literally four steps and was never used my anyone else. It was decorated in gold gilt and marble. It was truly a pleasure to shower in there. Breakfast consisted of coffee, juice, pre packed croissant, toast, butter & jams as well as yoghurt - enough to sustain you until lunch.

Positives - location, subway nearby, restaurant next door if you don't want to travel for dinner, coffee bar on the corner, VERY CLEAN and tastefully decorated hotel, air conditioning, nice view from the top of the building.

Negatives - They would not hold my luggage until my evening flight which I thought was a bit much considering I had just spent 5 days there, the safe key was not offered at check in and I only discovered the safe existed in my room on my last day, the tv channels are all in Italian. There was no internet access in my room although I didn't need it. Lastly, I did some shopping on my last day and came back to my room promptly at 11am (check out time) to find that they had already removed my bag and someone else was in my room. CHEEKY !!!

In spite of this I would recommend this hotel and would use their services again because at 55 euro's per night in Rome you really can't go wrong.

• Stayed September 2005