“Clean budget hotel with great customer service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Saturnia

Hotel Saturnia
Ranked #611 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Atlanta, GA (USA)
“Clean budget hotel with great customer service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

My husband and I spent last Saturday night at Hotel Saturnia in Rome. While it is certainly a budget hotel, we found it to be clean, safe, and welcoming.
I reserved a room with a shared bathroom (to save a little cash), but upon arrival we were told that we would be upgraded for no additional fee to a room with a private bath. The staff was friendly, cheerful, and happy to answer our questions about the area. This is a no-frills place, but it had everything we were looking for. They even arranged for us to have breakfast an hour earlier than the posted times because we had an early flight to catch. If you're looking for a centrally-located budget hotel in Rome, I would recommend Hotel Saturnia.
Please note that there is no elevator.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fourth floor. It was quite a hike up the stairs with our luggage (no elevator), bu...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Martinez, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

The room was comfortable, the whole staff was warm and friendly. The owners Tiziano and Riccardo helped me at every turn. I had a nice air-conditioned room which is really needed in August. The breakfast was outstanding and made available even when I was late. Coffee is always available for free. The hotel is within walking distance of most attractions.
Pleasant owners and staff make a hotel experience really worth-while. I for sure will stay there again. Rome is the place to study art.

David Fugere, davidfugereart.blogspot.com

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank david f
RiccardoLatour, Manager at Hotel Saturnia, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear Mr David,
Nice for us hearing about you! We appreciate your review so much and we'll invite you and your wife to stay with us for your next trip in Italy. Contact directly me by mail, I'll always remember you. Good life!
Riccardo, Tiziano and all Saturnia'staff
Redcar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

we stayed here for one night only because our intended hotel had a plumbing problem,and they asked if we'd mind staying here for one night. what really makes this hotel special is the hospitality of the staff, especially trizano, who was extremely helpful & friendly. (He turned down my offer of a tip, saying it was his pleasure to be of help). The hotel rooms are clean and have all you need if you, like me just used it as a base to stay. It's just a short walk to the coloseum, 20>25 mins walk to the treivi fountain, 30mins to the Spanish steps & maybe about 45mins walk to the Vatican. there is a metro station close to the hotel. I would definately reccomend staying here.

Room Tip: The hotel is in a side street and might be hard to find if you don't know Rome well. so i'd...
1 Thank smon g
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

We even discovered a Basilica right around the corner! Saint Pudenziana's Basilica which has a lot of interesting history. We purchased the booklet for 3 euro. This hotel and staff were completely wonderful! We had a great first floor room, not 0, and our own bathroom. PS - at each hotel in Italy I asked for the best room since we were celebrating our anniversary. The breakfast was fantastic! The gal who made us our coffee each day was so nice and she actually cleans the rooms too! We stayed for 3 nights and walked everywhere.....found a fun Irish pub - Druid's Rock and ate a few blocks away one night at a wonderful restaurant which was recommended to us from friends here - Ristorante Fulvimari (closed Sundays).

1 Thank Carolyn B
Vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

We had one bad experience after another at Hotel Saturnia. First, we arrived at the hotel only to have them tell us they had to send us to another hotel for a night because of some problems with the room. They assured us that the other hotel was of comparable quality, but it turned out to be even worse than Saturnia (see Hotel Tre Stelle reviews)!

When we returned to Saturnia, we were given the smallest hotel room we had even seen, even by European standards. There was barely room to walk around the bed to the bathroom, let alone having space for our suitcases.

The bathroom was similarly tiny, with a toilet, bidet, shower and sink all crammed into a room that could not have been more than 4 feet by 4 feet. We couldn't turn around without smacking into something. The bathroom also smelled awful, as though there was mold and mildew growing out of control. The shower was tiny & the shower curtain was broken and didn't cover the whole area so water went everywhere. There was no bath mat so we had to use one of our hand towels to mop up the mess. To make things worse, the toilet seat broke the first night we were there (and we are not large people - 140 lbs each). They told us they would fix it but didn't until the last day of our stay. It was also extremely noisy at night if anyone was talking outside the hotel. We could hear a man across the street from inside his apartment. It was ridiculous.

This hotel is a terrible value for money in my opinion. We paid 129 euros a night and I have stayed in cheaper places in Rome in the past and had much better experiences.

The only real positives this place has going for it (other than proximity to Termini Station) are the food options. The breakfast at the hotel was reasonably tasty and included enough food to fill us up until lunch (hardboiled eggs, ham, cheese, buns, pastries, cereal & yogurt). There is also a great gelato place around the corner called Gelateria Santa Maria Maggiore. If you choose to stay at Saturnia against my advice, you will likely need to drown your sorrows in a cup or two of gelato and Gelateria Santa Maria Maggiore is the place to go.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abeille323
Tunnel Hill, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

I had high hopes for this hotel with all the good reviews I read about it. We booked a room with a shared bathroom and that must have been the problem. I think the other 2 floors had their own bathrooms. We were on the top floor, no elevator, 4 flights of stairs. There was no A/C in the room thankfully there was a fan that was adequate. The windows were new and we had a sink in our room. The floor was terribly dirty, who knows when the last time it was cleaned. I dropped some water on the floor from the sink and wiped it up with a towel and the towel came up with black on it. The wallpaper was peeling in many places and had some sort of white spots, like someone sprayed stuff on it all over. The bathroom across the hall was a hodgepodge. The shower was the worst. It had black mold all up and down the corners. The accordion doors that are supposed to come together to shut it, didn't, and left a 6-8 inch gap for water to spray all over the floor. We told the front desk about it and even before my husband finished speaking, the man at the desk hurriedly gave a pat answer of, "yea yea we will look at it" Nothing was done. The breakfast was not very good with pastries that seemed day old. I can't believe the amount of money we paid for what we got. The only thing that was a positive was the location. It was a short 10 minute walk to Termini and was within 15 minutes from everything else but the Vatican, but we rode the bus so that was not a problem. I was very disappointed with this hotel and would never stay here again or recommend it to anyone. Perhaps the other rooms with bathrooms (if that is an option, I don't really know, but did not see a shared bathroom on either of the 2 floors below) were better. Don't book a shared bathroom room at this hotel, it is awful and a huge rip off.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank aburton2
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

Had a good stay at the hotel. Make sure you know how to get to the hotel....we walked from the termini station (which is super close), but we arrived very late at night and the street names are not easy to read (this was true all around Rome, street names are etched into building sides) and we would have walked past the short little street it's on had I not seen pics of the outside of the hotel on this site.

Hotel staff is super nice, very accommodating and knowledgable. Wifi worked great in the room and was included. Breakfast was also included and was not the best (not a ton of selection and pastries weren't wonderful) but over the few days were there I figured out what I liked and it was enough to get me going till a late lunch (plus they will make you little cappuccinos).

Hotel seemed typical for Rome for the price...in an old building, no A/C in our room (although the fan we had helped when the window was open), close to noisy street (but once we closed the window the noise reduced significantly).

Our room in particular was a little bizarre. We had a shared bathroom, which ended up meaning just a toilet down the hall because our room had a shower in the corner. Was not private so might be awkward for 2 friends, but was fine for me and my husband. There are minimal room amenities (no hair dryer, no safe, no coffee maker). However, it was very clean and safe, and someone came to clean everyday.

I would stay here again for the value and we were about a 20-25min walk from everything except the Vatican, which took us a 40min. to get to walking speedily (found out metro was on strike so we had to book it to the Vatican for our tour). So if you plan to spend minimal time in the room and want to be able to walk everywhere (metro/buses are very close too) it's a good deal.

But if you are more comfortable in a hotel with more amenities and more modern, don't kid yourself, pay more to stay somewhere else (but it'll be expensive I bet).

• Stayed September 2011