“don't stay here”
Review of Hotel Martini

Hotel Martini
Ranked #673 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed October 1, 2009

What a way to end a trip!
I will start with the positives- central location and close to Metro and Termini, quiet room even though it's on a busy street, nice bathroom.
Now the deal busters- the beds are uncomfortable, the mosquitoses (at least we were hoping the bites were from mosquitoes) we each had no fewer than 20 each, the staff was barely pleasant and sometimes rude. One staff member accused me of not closing the elevator door. It's a quaint old elevator with a metal gate on the outside and two doors on the inside that you have to shut in order for it to move. Not hard to get especially since I once lived in a building with a similar elevator. He didn't believe me when I said I had shut it, he made me go check! The coffee was terrible. The breakfast highlights were canned fruit cocktail, individual cheese food wrapped in plastic (aka Kraft singles), pastries and yogurt.
All of this I could take for a few days especially with the fabulous espresso downstairs at the Irish Pub.
All hell broke loose when we went to check out. The price was suddenly higher. We had brought the email with our reservation confirmation and price but Elenora wouldn't look at it. She kept insisting we had used a web site in which the price was higher. She had one of my travel partners credit card number and passport number on it. We had never even heard of that web site. She was actually yelling at us. This went on for about 20 minutes meanwhile our taxi is waiting impatiently downstairs. Did I say she was yelling at us? I'm sure the entire hotel could hear. We finally told her she could take 800euro or nothing and we were leaving. This was all we had and it was a compromise between the two prices. We had to ask for a receipt with "paid in full" on it. She continued to yell at us as we walked out the door.
We were then greeted by an upset taxi driver whom wanted to charge us more.
It was truely awful, unlike any experience I have ever had.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank nursejenh

Reviewed September 30, 2009

We didn't expect much and that is exactly what we got. The hotel is inside an apartment like building, they just bought out the fourth floor. Above our room must have been a young family with a screaming baby and a bunch of toddlers racing around the room because all we heard were cries and stomping foot steps. The room we had was really..really...pink. The only saving grace was the air conditioning system that drowned out the reception desks television which we could hear through the walls. We did get a lot of excercise through going up and down 4 flights of stairs because we were too scared to use the elevator.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TurtleHawaii
Reviewed September 20, 2009

On arrival you are greeted with an iron cage lift that clanks its way down to you. Unfortunately that about as good as it gets.... The first room we were shown to was musty, grimy and unpleasant. The airconditioner was leaking water into the room and judging by the stains on the curtains had been doing so for quite some time. We were moved to another room which was cleaner but still in need of significant refurbishment. The shower door had to be held on by hand while you had a shower or risk being clouted on the head with it. We didn't realise upon check in that the 2nd room we were taken to was facing the very noisy street - even 4 floors up the traffic noise was terrible. Traffic noise was the least of our problems as it turned out - the Irish bar directly below the hotel stays open until 3am and has tables on the street. Noise from this establishment made it almost impossible to sleep. The breakfast provided is extremely light on, somewhat stale and basically unpleasant. At $150 Euros a night this hotel is having a laugh. The only positive thing I have to say about this hotel is that it is in walking distance to Roma Termini. Just say no!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank elloydn
Reviewed March 17, 2009

We stayed in Rome last year and had 3 nights in the Hotel Martini, and it was somewhat disappointing.
The location is quite good, being on the Via Nazionale and just around the corner from the Termini Station. The rooms are tiny (although we expected that), but we weren’t expecting our bathroom to be so miniscule. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable, we had a room which did not front on to the street, so it was not noisy at all, (our friends did have a problem with a church bell tower on the other side of the building just outside their window – so ear plugs would be a good idea.).

Our main problems were with the staff who seemed at all times reluctant to commit to any type of customer service, and with the breakfast and the breakfast room itself.

The desk attendant spent most of his day smoking at the reception desk, and while I know you cannot expect Australian smoke free standards in another country, the smell of smoke all through the common areas was sometimes overwhelming. The smell hit you when you got out of the really fantastic old fashioned elevator and entered the foyer or whenever you opened the door to your room. Whenever we approached the desk attendant, he appeared to be in poor humour and never seemed to be in the mood to communicate or assist us (although he always did, he just didn’t appear to enjoy it).

Breakfast was a challenge with a tiny breakfast room where we had to take shifts because there is only 3 or 4 tables. The food itself was rather ordinary and composed mainly of coffee and not particularly fresh bread rolls and pastries. There was yoghurt on offer, and that was OK, and an acceptable option.

Overall I would say the accommodation was fair, and even though our experience wasn't wonderful, it did the job (although we could probably do just as well or better for the same or similar money elsewhere). We did get service from the staff although it was unenthusiastic and apathetic.

I would stay there again if I had to (although if I went back to Rome I would prefer to stay somewhere else as I like my holidays to be a happy experience, and not tainted by grumpy hotel staff). If I did go back, I would certainly find an alternate location for my breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bridget_from_Oz
Reviewed January 3, 2009

Very good location, quiet and suffer area, near the public transport and many point of interesting.
Clean,warm room. Very pleasant stuff.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed September 14, 2008

W e stay just 3 days but we feel as at home.
Hotel at 4th floor at Nazionale Avenue, near trevi fountan and more important monuments.
Room very clean and quiet.
Breakfast could be better just 4 tables and very small place to eat.
Staff very friendly and one of them speaks a lot of languages. He give us very exactly information about places and tours!!!!!!
If I come back to this wonderful city I'm very sure that I return to this Small but Great Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 9, 2008

Terrible experience. Very noisy, dated, worn and dirty room.
The staff very rude and unhelpful. The breakfast is just nothing, horrible coffee and hard roll. If you don't want to ruin your holiday do not stay here.

• Stayed: December 2007