“If you're not claustrophobic you'll be fine!” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Angel Hotel
Ranked #932 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Sowerby Bridge, United Kingdom
“If you're not claustrophobic you'll be fine!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2008

We stayed here at the start of September and the room was incredibly warm on the first night and the air con did not make much of an impact. Because the room was so small I did feel very claustrophobic on the first night of our stay. However by the second day the air con seemed to have kicked in a bit and I was much more comfortable.
This is a basic hotel and the price reflects that. We paid under 120 euros for 2 nights, any more and I probably would have felt cheated. But as it was I really don't think there was anything major to get upset about.
Location wise it was fantastic, and the street itself is very quiet. We found the man at the desk to be pleasant and welcoming and more than happy to share his knowledge of the area.
It would not go down as anywhere close to my favourite hotels but it was also far from my worst experience. To sum it up, you get what you pay for and it wasn't really that bad at all.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the size of the room and the lack of air con
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DonnaMFriendly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Thai first
na
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

This hotel was terrible! Not only did our toilet never flush but they
made no attempt to fix it. They actually asked us to use the toilet in the lobby which was two floors down! Then, in the middle of my shower, the water turned off completely 4 times! When it did return, the water was cold. Last (but not least), we never received our wake up call.

The worst part of all of this was when I approached the front desk. I explained the issues and politely asked that some of my money be reimbursed. Not only did they refuse to provide me with restitution but they offered no apologies either. To add insult to injury, the man at the desk informed me that although the water did turn off multiple times, I did in fact have a shower. He also claimed that he was never told about our wake up call. Yet on the desk, I pointed to a piece of paper were the instructions had been written by the night manager. The
piece of paper remained in the same place and it clearly listed our room number and wake up time. When I pointed it out to him, he then stated it was a system error.

I was shocked at these responses. To have so many issues and not even receive an apology speak volumes as to this hotel's mentality toward their guests. It's one thing to have issues but quite another to be treated with little or no respect.

Do not stay at this hotel !!!!! Save your money and go somewhere else. Rome is a large city with plenty of options. Spend 10 Euro's more - it will save you much more in the long run!

• Stayed September 2008
1 Thank anonymous2000

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

The basics: I paid a substantially-reduced, last-minute non-refundable rate of €65 a night for two nights. If it hadn't been for an unfortunate incident in which €50 was stolen from our hotel room, I would say it was worth it for that rate...BUT if I had paid their normal rates (which effectively I did if you include the stolen cash) you can definitely do better.

The room: We were on the 4th floor in one of the small, standard rooms (which is still reasonably large by European standards) with a stand-up shower (water pressure was fine, but shower did "leak" due to poor design of its doors leaving floor all wet). It was fine, just a little rundown (bedspread stained, small fist-sized (?) hole in the wall along with lots of scuff marks. Not a problem for me and my 18-year-old sister who are traveling on a budget but wouldn't exactly inspire romance or impress anyone if that's what you're going for.

Bed itself was comfortable enough, but the bedding was of the very thin, two-star hotel variety so I'm thinking on a cold winter night one might freeze. Air conditioning was fine. There are packets of all-in-one soap/shampoo. We were facing the courtyard and noise wasn't a problem at all... only noise we ever heard was fellow travelers in the hallway.

Other stuff: The location is pretty good. It takes less than 20 minutes walk to the Vatican, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps etc and the area itself was nice enough, well-lit and safe. No internet at the hotel but there's an internet cafe a 5-minute walk away that the staff will point you to. Didn't think it was difficult to find at all...once you reach the adjoining piazza there are yellow signs everywhere pointing the way to the hotel.

Regarding the petty theft: There is no in-room safe (though honestly I wouldn't have used it even if there was because I've never worried about money being stolen from my room before). I reported it when I checked out and the girl at the front desk was pleasant enough but seemed a little confused as to why I was telling her, which was so the hotel would know there was a problem, not because I expected them to do anything for me. At any rate I'm sure nothing at all was done. Moral of the story: Take your cash with you if you stay here.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank fillereveuse
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Angel hotel in February for 5 nights. The hotel was quite difficult to find as we booked the hotel directly and therefore had no tranfers from the airport. Taxi driver understood little English and took us to the wrong hotel however our hotel was on the same road and so didn't take us long to find. The reception is separate from the building where the rooms are which initially was confusing but didnt cause any problems after our arrival. The room was clean and big enough for the 2 of us. The bathroom was clean and better than expected. The air conditioning didnt work properly, but as we went in February when the weather isn't warm it wasn't that much of a problem for us. We also found that on one night of our stay we were kept awake until the early hours by loud cheering which we assumed came from a local pub, even though this was quite annoying it did only happen once. The location of this hotel is its best feature. Most of Romes famous landmarks were in walking distance of the hotel (Castle St Angelo 5 mins, Spanish steps 10 mins, Vatican 15 mins approx) though it would not be recommended for anyone with walking disabilities. Staff were friendly and overall our stay in the hotel was satisfactory, would recommend for tourists on a buget who don't mind walking a lot!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of amenties such as a bar etc
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank welsh_gal21
Shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2008

I have recently taken a short break at the Angel Hotel with 7 friends. Hotel staff were very helpful and eager to please. Rooms were a good size, for Rome, and although it's a little quirky having 2 separate floors and reception being separate, it worked well. We were a little concerned that the Hotel has no bar or restaurant but it worked out fine as there are bars and coffee shops in the street, literally a 3 minute walk away. Location is great for Vatican, Spanish Steps and Trevie Fountain but is a good 45 minute walk from the Coliseum We had 4 rooms on the 4th floor and all rooms experienced street noise, the double glazed windows helped. Overall, we thought the Hotel offered great value, for Rome, and would recommend.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jonners76
Reading
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2007

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! The staff are incredibly rude, they offer no help and then you get to the room... In our room the shower did not drain and the floor got very wet and slippy, it was also not clean. We had problem after problem with this hotel, firstly we booked a twin room and when we arrived they stated that they did not have a twin room and that we would have to stay in a double room! I was in Rome with my sister and this was not good enough. We obviously asked them to sort out the problem but they informed us that it was our fault, luckily we were able to prove to them what we had booked and even then they were not apologetic in anyway! I have never been treated so poorly and I travel often!
The one and only good thing about this hotel is that it is near Castel St. Angelo and within 15 minute walk of The Vatican... but then so are nicer hotels! If you have any sense do not stay here!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The utter rudeness of staff
  • Stayed October 2007
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

I booked this hotel for a surprise 30th for my girlfriend. We were upgraded to a Superior room on the first floor upon arrival. The location of the Hotel, is just by the River, and 10 minutes walk to the Vatican,which can be seen from the river as you walk to it, and 5 minutes walk to the Castle Saint Angelo, and several river bridges.
Surrounding streets comprise of several really good places to eat. The reception staff spoke excellent English, and were helpful in every way.
Most of the main tourist areas across the river are easily reached by walking, due to the City being fairly small.
Buses in adjacent streets wil take you to the Forum and Colosseo.
The Piazza Navona and its surrounding streets are a hub of history and eateries, well worth a visit. Again 10 minutes walk.
The hotel rooms are clean, and tidy, we had a room with a shower only, which was ideal, and the a spare single fold up bed was also present.
I would stay there again on another visit.

• Liked — Location, Room
  • Disliked — Thin Walls
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple