“Great hotel”

Ranked #19 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Suffolk, VA
“Great hotel”
Reviewed May 27, 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights and found that we truly enjoyed Hotel Golden’s location in Rome. The hotel’s location, near the upscale Via Veneto, is a nice, calm oasis away from the touristy crush of Rome. We found the nearby buses (less than 5 minute walk) and Metro stop (less than 10 minute walk in an underground tunnel) useful to get to the major sites when we didn’t feel like walking.

We stayed in the King Superior and, based on other reviews, I asked if I could be placed in a quiet room away from the front desk. I am a light sleeper so this is important to me. While there was no noise from the street, I could occasionally hear conversations and the television near the front desk, but never after 11:00 P.M. or before 7:00 A.M. The room and bathroom was spacious, clean and comfortable. (When we travel, we don’t spend a lot of time in our room except to relax a little and to sleep so we don’t need a suite or additional sitting areas.)

Marco and Giuseppe were very helpful prior to my arrival, answering questions, securing reservations, etc. They check their email often and respond quickly and courteously. Once we arrived, they were happy to give directions and assist us with transportation issues. Giuseppe informed us that there is a travel agent in the same building who, for no additional charge, was able to book our Eurostar train reservations to get to Florence and Venice. I highly recommend this service, to avoid confusion at the train station and to help better plan any train travel since you know in advance the date, time and seat reservations.

Another gentleman also worked at the front desk and speaks little English. We speak very little Italian, so we learned quickly to get all of our questions answered by Marco or Giuseppe when we saw them at the front desk. This is not a complaint, but just a suggestion to other English speaking travelers.

The size of the breakfast room was not a problem for us and we only had to wait 5 minutes on one day before we could be seated.

We enjoyed the extra security feature of leaving our key at the front desk and getting “buzzed” in upon our return.

I give this hotel 5 stars for value because I did A LOT of searching for hotels before making this reservation and felt I could not find another hotel in the same class in a superior location for the same rate or better. To Americans, nothing is a good value in Italy right now, with the weak dollar, but this is not something to penalize the hotel for in terms of value rating.

There was one issue that disappointed me. We arranged, with our reservation, for the car service at 40 Euros to pick us up at the airport. I emailed my flight information to them and asked if they would monitor my arrival online, since I may not be able to call them to report a delay, and they agreed to do this. Long story short, my flight did not arrive at 9:00 A.M. as planned and our arrival was changed to 6:45 P.M. I called the hotel from Amsterdam that morning to let them know of the change in plans. A woman, who does not speak English, answered the phone. I do not speak Italian so I was unable to communicate with her. So I paid 5 Euros for a 10 minute internet connection in the airport and emailed the hotel with the information, asking them to monitor my new arrival time. I then was off to take another flight to Paris to get to Rome. Like I said, long story. Our flight landed in Rome right around 7:00 P.M. and we found our driver about 5 minutes later. The service was wonderful and exactly what we needed after a long trip, with many complications, to get there. When we got to the hotel, we paid our driver the previously agreed upon (and verified by email) 40 Euros, but he insisted we owed him 55. We walked into the hotel together because he wanted the hotel staff to explain the cost to us. Giuseppe told us that the fee is 55 Euros because we landed after 7:00 P.M. He then said “What time did you land again? Was it before or after 7:00 P.M.? If you had to get your bags and you did not reach the driver until after 7:00, then you have to pay 55.” I informed him that no one told me of this and if they had, I would have just taken the train in. 40 Euros for the service is reasonable. 55 with the current exchange rate would have changed our minds. He stated that Marco emailed me with this information, but I told him I did not have access to email during that time since I was flying. He shrugged and said “I’m sorry but this is the arrangement we have with the driver” and that was it. I am a business owner and understand that occasional mistakes or lack of communication may happen from time to time. I also know that a sincere and appropriate apology goes a long way to smooth over any problems. An extra bottle of Prosecco or something similar would have cost them little and would have been a nice gesture to show regret over the situation and appreciation for our business. But based on the response to the problem, we assume there was no regret. This was my only disappointment with our stay and I found it surprising, based on our other interactions with the hotel owners. This is also the main reason I am giving a 4 star rating.

Would I consider staying here again? Yes. Would I ask about any issues that might change what I’ve agreed to pay? Yes.

Overall a nice hotel with a good location and value.

• Liked — location, value
  • Disliked — problem with car service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SaraSuffolk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
dallas, tx
Reviewed May 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed here at Hotel Golden for four nights on our first trip to Italy. The room was immaculate and very spacious. We had the King Superior room. The bathroom was also very large by European standards and even had two bathrobes which were a nice touch. We loved the location--a very quiet little neighborhood just off the Via Veneto. Walking this neighborhood at night is a dream. We ate two dinners at the little restaurant across the street, Le Bruschetta. Excellent, excellent. I especially loved our view, which looked out onto the charming street below. Marco was a fantastic host, answering all our questions and even calling our hotel in Venice for us to arrange airport transportation there. After a long day of sightseeing in Rome, we also looked forward to coming "home" to our little hotel.

• Liked — location and quality of rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed May 13, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Golden for the last night of our trip to Italy. Our room was a "small double" - it really was quite small. The bed was a little too firm for our liking. Breakfast was not served until 7:30 AM, so we didn't really have time to eat much before we had to leave for the airport.
Marco was very helpful and courteous, and he suggested an excellent restaurant in the area. The Golden may be a two star hotel, but it is certainly located in a five star neighborhood. The Via Veneto area is very pleasant and convenient to other areas of Rome.
In spite of minor shortcomings, the Hotel Golden represents an outstanding value for the price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — bed firmness
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed April 22, 2008

What a great hotel! We chose this one for the price and especially for the great reviews I read on Trip advisor. We want to be one more of those positive reviews. What we loved about the hotel was its location near some very nice places. It was close to great (and cheap) restuarants - ask the hotel they recommend these. It is also close to the metro and hop-on-hop-off stop. We both felt very safe here

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of cupboards
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MandS_8
New York
Reviewed April 21, 2008

Company of three (my sister, our friend and myself) stayed at the Golden Hotel for 2 nights. The hotel is immaculately clean and comfortable. Staff was extremely helpful at all times. Breakfast was very decent. if you need to arrange airport pick up, you can contact the hotel via e-mail and they will gladly do it for you.The location is absolutely perfect (walking distance to all major sightseeing sites of Rome): Villa Borgese - 2 min walk, Spanish Steps - 10 min walk, Fontana De Trevi - 10-15 min walk, Pantheon - 15 min, Colliseum and Forum - 20-25 min. Barberini subway station is just 10 min away. Although check in time is 3.00 PM, they let us in at 11.00 AM. Our plane was at 8.00 pm. So we checked out in the morning and left our luggage in the hotel till 4.00 pm at no charge. Also it was very nice to get a bottle of italian champagne as a welcoming gift upon arrival. If we ever will have a chance to return, we wil stay there because it is reasonably priced, comfotable, and perfectly located. Special thanks to Marco, Maria and Giusseppe from Svetlana, Alla, and Elena!!!

• Liked — location and helpfulness of the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank sveta2407
Vilnius
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Wonderful value for money, friendly and helpful staff. Location is perfect for newtimers in Rome. If you ever go for a weekend visit - choose them :)

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Size of the room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed April 16, 2008

We were looking for a mid-range hotel in a fairly central location for our trip to Rome. We chose the Golden Hotel after reading all the fantastic online reviews. And now I get to add mine!!
The location of the hotel, just off Via Veneto, is so handy to everything. We only took the metro once, to get to the Termini, but other than that we walked everywhere; it's really well located.
The rooms are very clean, warm and comfortable (oh that king bed!) and the charming character of the hotel is extremely welcoming. The family who run the hotel are so incredibly helpful, and answered all our questions, and made recommendations to suit our preferences. (All were spot on). There was always someone on the desk to let us in, any time of the day or night. I am used to European hotels having its odd quirks which you learn to tolerate, but any quirks here (like the bowls of sweets everywhere) were simply a joy. Coming back to the hotel after a day in Rome was always pleasant; it was a safe, comfortable little Italian home away from home. Please believe me when I say I tried to think of some negative points to try and even up this review, but I couldn't think of one. When we return to Rome we'll come back to the Golden Hotel.

• Liked — The comfortable, secure rooms and the location.
  • Disliked — Honestly? Nothing.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple