“Behind the wooden doors.”

Navona Gallery & Garden Suites
Ranked #24 of 3,669 Rome B&B and Inns
Austin
“Behind the wooden doors.”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

It's been a few months now since our visit. This review has been a little slow in coming as we were hit by more than a few surprises at home after spending a month in Italy. So...here's the scoop....

My wife and I stayed at Navona Gallery for the first time in 2009. We did a lot of research, planning the best location for seeing the sites, and wanting a place that offered value but was also special. Well...it wasn't just value...it indeed special. It was perfect! If you locate NG on the map and compare it to the major sites, such as the Vatican, The Forum, Trevi, etc...you will see it's perfectly located to walk to most all of the sites. 15 minutes to the Vatican for example. If that doesn't work a taxi stand is 2 minutes away. The location is charming, on a great street, near tons of restaurants, awesome gelato...which we had to have every day several times (Frigidarium)...and near Piazza Navona....one of the most beautiful piazza's in Rome. NGS has an authentic feel. It was once the residence of the Cardinal of Rome and has been split into several wonderful rooms/apartments.

So....when planning our recent return visit this past May it was an easy choice of where to stay. With this said, you always worry that a return visit might not be the same as previous. Well, this was not the case....it was the same....with the exact same charm. It was maintained to be exactly as we remember from our visit 5 years ago.

This recent visit only added to our impression as we became more connected with the staff. Traian deserves special mention for his willingness to help when I clumsily lost my cell phone. Over multiple days, in different ways, he worked to help us get to a resolution. He went above and beyond. It should also be mentioned that the rest of the staff is also excellent. They are kind and willing to help make your stay enjoyable.

What you get is a nice B&B feel with the ability to have more of an independent stay. You can ask for help... and it's there...but you can also feel like you have your own apartment in Rome.

During our two stays we had the opportunity to stay in 3 different apartments. All were cozy, nicely decorated and very comfortable. When we return to Rome we will go back to NGGS. We consider it all as mentioned in this post....a great place... run by people who we consider more like friends.

Room Tip: We tried three different rooms. We were in the Borromini Suite..the smallest room. We think it perfe...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank andiron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Finnish first
Ohio
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We are a family of 5 with 3 teenagers which makes finding accommodations somewhat challenging. Decided to stay at Navona Gallery & Garden Suites for 6 nights based on Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. We stayed in Michelangelo I and II, which is perfect for a large family. Much more room than we needed, but nice to have 3 bathrooms!! I would agree with all the positive reviews of location, comfort, cleanliness, friendly and helpful staff, etc. Only negative would be after 6 nights breakfast can become rather boring, some fresh fruit would be a welcome addition, but that is only a personal preference.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank OhioMom2three
Munich, Germany
Reviewed July 14, 2014

You don't feel like you are going to an anonymous hotel. It has a unique vibe, cute rooms with antique furniture and a home feel. The staff is kind, helpful and tries to make your stay a true experience. It is a very unique place. The location is perfect, on one of the cutest and most central streets of Rome.
If you are visiting Rome for the first time and want to get to know and love this city and the people, Navona Garden Suites is a MUST!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Valerie T
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We went to Navona Gallery & Garden Suites with a group of 13 girls. Everything was amazing. The staff was always very helpful, they organized everything for us. The garden of the hotel is amazing. Its like a hidden gem in the middle of the city.
Would definitely go there again when I return to Rome.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MerveSahin
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed last weekend for 3 nights. The welcome from Sylvia was lovely and she was very informative about how we would get to all the main attractions in Rome. Nothing was too much trouble, and she even let us stay on in our room on the day of departure as our flight was late in the day.
The accommodation suited us, as we needed 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms. The bedrooms are a good size. Both bathrooms need new shower heads. The balcony worked out very well for my son and he enjoyed chilling and watching everyone come and go.
Its very nice to stay in such an old building, and you can never quite work out which bit belongs to the b&b. We really felt like we had experienced a real piece of Rome, rather than just staying in a bland hotel which could be in any country.
The best thing for us was the location. I've been to Rome several times, and I thought this was the best area of the city I've stayed in so far. Right in the center of the bars and restaurants, and easy walking to most of the main sites. Away from the main shopping area, which certainly saved me some money !
The accommodation was a little expensive in my view, but I did find Rome overall more expensive than on previous trips. We had a great weekend.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank GN&CB
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed June 29, 2014

In all of the vacations I have taken in my life, the staff at Navona Gallery and Garden Suites is without a doubt the most helpful, friendly, and conscientious. Traian and Giampiero, the two managers of NGGS, went above and beyond to make sure we had a pleasant stay in Rome this past June. Our 12-hours of flying to get to Rome could not have gone worse, and we arrived at the hotel at 10am without having slept in the past 36 hours. Our room wasn't ready yet, and we had a tour of the vatican to get to in two hours, and Traian could tell how strung out and tired we were, so he offered, without us asking, for us to use one of their smaller rooms just so that we could get a shower and lay down for an hour before we had to leave. He was under no obligation to offer this, I knew check-in time wasn't until 4pm, and we were so, so grateful that he did. When we returned from our long, hot, tiresome tour of the vatican, the staff had moved all of our stuff from the small room we had used into the Michaelangelo I suite with terrace we had booked. What a great room! For the money it costs, you simply cannot stay in a room that nice anywhere else in the heart of Rome. It would be perfect for a couple with two kids, but my wife and I really enjoyed having the space to ourselves. We each had a bathroom and shower to ourselves! In Rome! That's unheard of. And of course we loved the private terrace in the morning and evening with the lemon trees, and the great croissants and fresh juice in the mornings. Giampiero took great care of us, acting as our personal consigliere. She called and booked dinners for us that were to be taken later in our trip in Italy, in San Gimignano and in Praiano on the Amalfi coast, not to mention the numerous cab rides she called for us (and then met the cab driver at the door to make sure he understood our directions.) As crazy as it sounds, when we left Rome after four days, after tours of the Colloseum and Forum and two different food tours and a wine tasting dinner and a tour of the city highlights, the thing we were saddest about leaving was the hotel! Then, to top it all off, I left two shirts in the closet in my room at NGGS. I realized it when we got to San Gimignano, so I called Traian and he immediately had them washed and shipped to me at our hotel in Praiano, where the package was handed to me at check-in. I can't recommend Navona Gallery and Garden Suites enough. A great hotel with awesome staff.

Room Tip: MIchaelangelo Suite I with private terrace. Perfect.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank C0achparks162
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed June 19, 2014

If first impressions are anything Traian makes this place. From outlining a map with all the sights to a personal cup of capachino he really embodies the easy sophistication this B&B offers. Old world style meets Chic! The location was amazing and his recommendations were spot on. Walking distance to everything and I mean everything.

Thanks for helping us fall in love with Rome and your B&B! We will be back!

Room Tip: I can't imagine any room is "bad". Main door is on the street but B&B is set back...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family