“Stay away from here”

Ranked #585 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Atlanta, Georgia
“Stay away from here”
Reviewed August 27, 2010

When you see 3 stars displayed outside the hotel you can assured that is ISNT.

The hotel was very difficult to get to from the Roma Termini, long walk and infequent busses. The rooms very extremely cramped, literally tiny and depressing. The bathrooms even smaller, the shower was so tiny I couldn't even bend over. The drains were clogged (probably to get you out fast) and never fixed despite repeated complaints. The breakfast was lousy.
the only decent thing about the place was one receptionist called Gerogie which made it bearable but on the final day we got a lousy hot headed rude receptionist who threatened to throw us out if we didn't vacate by EXACTLY 12 pm and not a minute later.

Would never stay there - worst part it was pretty far from all the attractions in Rome.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hunnypuppy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edenvale, South Africa
Reviewed August 6, 2010

I spent an unplanned 5 nights here as my wife had to be hospitalised at nearby CTO Hospital after fracturing her knee on broken stairs at Ostiense Station on our way to the airport leaving Rome for Mykonos.

The front office staff, especially Giorgio who could speak excellent English, were extremely helpful as I had much organising to do. They assisted me with phonecalls, faxing, the internet, printing, etc. Eventually we actually decided to leave the hospital after they kept delaying the surgery and return to South Africa for the operation, but all this required much paperwork for travel insurance purposes.

The breakfasts were adequate and the staff even packed a croissant, some butter and jam and fruit for my wife as some of the food in the hospital was no great. Thanks for this!!

I would not choose to stay at this hotel again as it is too far out of the centre of Rome, but I would like to say that it definitly was a good base for being close to the hospital. Thanks to all the staff for their help.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Sandy_DrewK
Burton on Trent
Reviewed February 20, 2010

I stayed for 4 nights and was delighted to have a clean room, which although not spacious had a generously large bed. Room was clean including bathroom with hairdryer. Unfortunateley there was no hot water on arrival at midnight or early evening but hot water available at breakfast time. The reception staff were very friendly and there are tare-off city maps available in reception at all times. The hotel is in a quiet location only 5 minute walk from metro station Gartello which is then only 4-5 stops from city centre -Termini. Breakfast is adequate with croissants, conflakes and fruit available with coffee, tea, hot chocolate and fruit juice. Overall I would definitely return to this hotel for a city break.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Edina MN
Reviewed December 4, 2009

I stayed for 6 days (unplanned) at the Derby while my wife had surgery and recuperated at the nearby CTO Hospital. I stayed in a small single room that was well cared for and had everything I needed. The front desk staff was always helpful. The location is quite good with small pizza places and nice restaurants nearby. The Metro is about a 15 minute walk away.
The hotel is not centrally located, but it was definitely convenient for my purposes.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv
Reviewed October 16, 2008

We had the pleasure to stay in this lovely hotel.We want to thank the charming staff and Mr. George especially. Thank you for home-like feeling. The rooms are very clean and lovely. The zone in which the hotel is located is full of trees and cute buildings.
The hotel is located near to metro station "Garbatella" (7-10 minutes to walk). Many thanks and we're sure that we will come back.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Not Relevant
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Falls Church, VA
Reviewed March 11, 2008

I picked the Hotel Derby because it is close to where my aunt lives in Rome and I wanted to be able to get back to the hotel quickly and easily, on foot, with three kids after spending the evenings with her. I also wanted to be close to a metro station so we could easily get in to the center of Rome. Hotel Derby is close to the Garbatella metro station on Linea B which is very convenient for getting downtown.

We stayed in Room 208 which is what they call a Stanza Quadrupla. We had two single beds on one side of the room with an end table in between and a "letto matrimoniale" which was actually two twin beds put together to look like one big bed. I slept in this bed with my 6 ft 5in (I meter, 90 cm) husband and my 4 year old daughter and we slept very comfortably (although my husband's feet hung off the end but what else is new)

There was a large wardrobe with lots of hangers and two drawers at the bottom. There was a desk and two other end tables and a TV. The TV had 2 English channels - mostly BBC news, and other channels in Italian, Spanish and German. At different times of day, the kids could watch shows in Italian like Strawberry Shortcake, Dora the Explorer, Zach and Cody and even Hannah Montana. Of course we did not come to Rome to watch TV but it was great for the short times we were in the hotel.

We had a large bathroom with a shower with hot water every day, a sink, mirror, toilet, and bidet. The towels were big and fluffy. The hotel provided shower caps, soap, shampoo and a shoe shine buffing kit, and sewing kit.

The room was nice and warm and we opened the balcony door if it got too warm. The balcony had a table and two chairs outside and a beautiful view of the neighborhood.

The breakfast at the Derby was amazing. Annette was VERY pleasant and although she does not speak English she did her best to understand my husband who speaks no Italian. There were fresh croissants with a sugary glaze called cornetti. Coffee how you like it - espresso, capuccino, caffe macchiato, etc.. Yogurt in lots of different flavors, apples, corn flakes, cold milk, toasted sliced bread if you ask for it = and it was served from 7:30 to 9:30.

The people at the front desk were very nice. One man in particular named Giorgio spoke excellent English and was very accomoating. Some nights the people on staff did not speak much English, though. Since I speak Italian I would not know how it would be to try and communicate with them.

The hotel loaned us umbrellas on the rainy days and answered questions about where things were. They have a great big map of the neighborhood in the lobby and of a big pad of tear off maps of the historic downtown area ( i took a new one every day)

The street was quiet and the neighborhood safe. There is a GREAT little pizza place immediately to the left of the hotel when you exit down the hill. They had wonderful pizza a taglio which is pizza by the slice but actually sold by weight. This kind of pizza is often not that good, but this was wonderful.

I cannot say enough about this hotel. It is not in the historic district so not close enough to stop and take a nap in the afternoon but other than that I would recommend it to anyone!!
The other thing is that the S.Paolo neghborhood is also very close and there is a little amusement park for small kids - my 8 and 4 year olds loved it. It is on Viale Giustiniano Imperatore and you bought tokens based on how many rides your kids wanted to do. Great place to spend half an hour after lunch or before dinner.

• Liked — The room was very comfortable
  • Disliked — Some of the staff do not speak English but the ones who do speak it very well
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family