“very nice hotel, 2-stars with the feeling of 3-stars”
Review of Albergo Piave

Albergo Piave
Ranked #495 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed March 31, 2011

well, first arriving to the hotel can be very scary- it doesn't look like an hotel from outside and you may be given the feeling that you got the wrong place. the elevator will contribute to that feeling also. but, overall it's a very nice hotel, the only reason for the missing star is the entrance, i guess. The room is clean, the breakfast is nice and the service is pretty good.
not the ideal location in rome, but not bad also- 10-15 minutes walking to termini, 20-30 to the spanish steps, and theres a close bus station, 50 meters from the hotel.

Room Tip: best price directly threw the hotel's website
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bcooper30

Reviewed March 12, 2011

Personally, I hated this hotel. Usually I never write such reviews, but this... was a special treat.

I booked the room for 2 of us with twin beds a month beforehand through the hotel's website. The fotos presented on the website were nothing to reality.

The so called hotel is occupying a floor of the apartment building, and people, who live in this building do not like strangers coming to the hotel. It is understandable. I wouldn't neither.

We arrived at 8 p.m., there was the lady (the owner's wife, it's a family business) at the tiny reception, who didn't find us at the booking list (though I have called them 3 times before arrival, saying that I was coming). The lady looked very concentrated and rigorous. Explained that she spoke no English, though pretended that she doesn't understand Russian or Slovenian (you know... you can tell when one is speaking your language).. it was ridiculous! )))) Ok... she is truly Italian ... let's let her be one )))

Eventually, after speaking on the phone with her husband, we got our room.
The room was so small that 2 twins were as 1 queen size bed, pulled together. And while one was trying to move around the room, another one had to sit on the bed, cos there was no space for 2 of us at the same time. I can't say room was dirty.. but it wasn't clean... it didn't feel clean. The pillows smelled, so asked to change it, which has been done (thanks for that, by the way...). The closet smelled too, so my clothing got a bit stinking eventually.
There was a lot of dust under the bed (I don't usually check floors in hotels rooms, you know, it happened accidentally that I saw it). I guess there is no need to say that the walls are so tiny, that you hear pretty much everything that is going on in the hotel.

The breakfast... well... I tried one. Frankly, I don't see the need in breakfast at the hotel when you are in Rome, cos there are so many places you can go for breakfast and it is a special entertainment by it's own. But if you still need to have a hotel breakfast, do not have one in Piave - they do serve rotten ham and the coffee is terrible.

The stuff... I didn't feel they were welcoming, I felt too much tension. The owner has a very special sense of humor which he expresses too often, on my opinion. And also, the have a very special alarm security system, so if you come back late at night (after 10 p.m.), you should be careful with the main entrance door, otherwise, if you open it wrong, you will wake up the owner's wife, who will appear in her bathrobe, being very unhappy.

Yes, I realize quite well that in Rome there is no time to spend in a hotel room, but since you come back tired and need rest... you need to feel comfortable. And I am sorry, Piave is not the right place. After the great time we'd spent on Ischia and in Amalfy, that was an epic fail to spend our last 3 days in Piave.

I guess, if you travel alone, it might be ok in the hotel, but if you are together, or family... I wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tormojenie
Reviewed June 8, 2010

When we arrived to the address we did n ot find a Hotel sign,We had to talk through an intercom and we were immediatly let into the building We had to take an old but charming cage elevator to the 3rd floor and were greeted by a lovely young couple. beautifuly and tastfully upgraded. While the room was tiny ,it was quite functional and very clean .A pleasant place to stay. and the price was very resonable. The owner,Georgio also makes the best capucino in all of Rome that would make Starbucks green with envy. He was also helpful in arranging tours for us and making calls for us. He let us use his P.C. to Email back to our home in the U.S. Always cheerful and helpful to make our stay most comfortable. I would go back there and highly recommend this little gem to my friends and family.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Happy32655
Reviewed May 19, 2010

We booked this hotel for our stay in Rome as it had ok reviews on tripadvisor and very nice pictures on the web-site. But it turned out to be a complete disappointment. The room was very dark and dirty. I had to ask them to clean it as there were huge WISPS OF DUST on the floor under the beds like it hadn't been cleaned for months. The bathroom was ok. The staff was not particularly helpful with our queries regarding local information and the breakfast lady was extremely unfriendly. Now breakfast: there were not many guests in the hotel during out stay and they apparently wanted to save on breakfast as they served the same old ham for breakfast several days running. It smelt sour and rotten! If you eat it, you end up in a hospital. No wonder nobody touched it and they happily kept on putting it out for breakfast again and again. As for the location it was ok. But no way it costs 150 euro/night as per their rack rate. We booked it for 100 euro per night and it was not worth it. We stayed at many other simple hotels and b&b during out trip in Italy and any of them was way better. Will not return and cannot recommend. You can definitely find something better for the same budget.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I paid 50 euro a night which included breakfast and a queen/king size bed. The bathrooms have showers only, but are totally renovated. The breakfast is very adequate for what you get in other places also, juice, cappucino, "american coffee"--they try at least :) fresh fruit, bread, nutella, jams etc. The rooms are tiny so bring earplugs or a little noise maker for nighttime. Thats really not a problem. I think they only have 11?? rooms. Very nice staff, but they don't speak much english and I didn't speak any Italiano. But as friendly and helpful as can be. So to the nay-sayers--get over yourself. This is a great bargain. On this trip, I also stayed for 2 nights at the Londra and Cargill around the corner. Yuck! There is no comparison. For 125 euros you can keep you bathroom telephone, larger room and overly hot hotel. Let me repeat...for the money....50 euro a night...which was a special....this was the cutest little place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We spend 5 days in Rome in October which proved to be a great time weather wise: warm but not too warm. Booked the Albergo Piave after a lot of researching on Tripadvisor and I was pleased with the ease of booking and instant confirmation. The location of the hotel is good - easy walk from Termini and plenty of buses into all areas in Rome if you don't fancy walking, although you can walk to e.g. Trevi Fountain in about 25 min. The neighbourhood felt perfectly safe at night and there were plenty of restaurants around although we never tried them, going more into the towncentre. The hotel itself is is a nice place, well decorated and immaculately clean. The rooms are tiny, even smaller than in places such as New York or London. We had paid only 90 Euros per night, which was fine, it would not be worth the rack rate of 150 Euro. The room looked out into a tiny courtyard and although that conjurs images of romantic Italian vistas, it is nothing like it. In fact there is no view, therefore we kept the shutters closed pretty much all the time. But you don't go to Rome for a hotelview! Also, the walls are very thin, so you do hear other guests. We were lucky as there were no noisy people staying. All the staff were very friendly, helpful and polite and breakfast was good for Italian styles. The coffee certainly wakes you up. Overall, I would stay again, but only at similar rates.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2009

We stayed 6 nights at the Piave. It's a good choice if your on a tight budget. I would give it four stars if not for Mr. Tommaso's mischievous advice regarding restaurants. He recommended us an awful trattoria nearby owned by a fellow named Livio which unfortunately we tried. You'll be much better if you pick the Cantina Cantarina at Piazza Sallustio. In a word, stay here. Just don't listen to Tommaso's advices.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple