“Nice Room!!!”
Review of Oly Hotel

Oly Hotel
Ranked #420 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have been on an Italy tour for my honeymoon!!! Oly was the first Hotel we stayed in! Was a nice clean room!!! Didn't need anything more!!! They also welcomed us with champagne as honeymooners!!! Thank you!!! Breakfast was also Perfect!!! x x

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dee M

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Hotel is clean enough, booked a triple room and was given two single beds and a camp bed. Came to restaurant and ordered food my family's came before mine and mine came after they had finished theirs and not even an apology given. The reason given was what I picked wasn't on menu and took 15 mins to tell me this. Remember you have to pay 3 euros each per night supposed to go to tax for improving the city I would hate to see the state of the place if they didn't charge this as it's not the greatest. I'm not impressed with the way they treat tourists.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank mrsapink
OlyHotelStaff, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Oly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Dear Mrs Pink, first of all I want to thank you for your review.

I would like to answer you point by point:

First of all the room you have booked is clearly described in our website, where you can read about the size of the third bed.

I am sorry about what happened during your dinner: we made a mistake with the menu, as the waiter told you apologizing for the delay.
Anybody can make a mistake: the important for us is to find a solution and make happy our Guests. I feel bad realizing that we fail twice.

Finally, i am sorry to inform you that we can’t do anything about the City Tax; just kindly note that this is a common rule in the most important European cities.

I regret that something out of our control and in common use is one of the reasons you gave us a low score.

Nevertheless I hope to see you again in Rome, one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Edoardo Osti

Reviewed June 20, 2014

I got this as part of deal and even for a 4 star I was dupious as to what we had got into. But as we arrived we had a pleasant welcome who helped us with maps and information. When we got to our room which was lovely and had complimentary water which after travelling was much appreciated. When needing help with directions, they were very helpful and spoke great english. Very approchable and the rooms were clean and fresh.

Getting to and from the hotel was easy we either got the bus or the metro in to the center and found our way around the local street very easily.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Chloe130890
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The best thing I can say about Oly hotel - very polite, helpful staff and air-conditioned rooms. The rooms are also clean, which is important. But this is it, when it comes to positives.
As mentioned rooms are clean but they are poorly equipped. The fridge (something usually called mini-bar) was barely working, and in 36 Celcius, you desire very cold water. The TV had only one English-language channel (BBC World) but the reception was bad with the humming sound in the background. The A/C also gave humming sound every now and then, which was annoying during the night. The light in the bathroom could not be switched off, unless the key card removed from the reader, which obviously disconnected any other appliances. On the 5th floor rooms have beautiful, large terraces, but there are no chairs or sunbeds to sit on. The wifí is for free, but the connection is too poor to even check the mails.
The worst part of the hotel is the restaurant. Breakfast is very disappointing - nothing you expect from Italian cusine. Almost no bread was served (only on last day we had the privilege) apart from something that pretended to be "toast bread" - very unhealthy and unappetizing. There is one type of cheese and one type of ham served, awfully sweet yoghurt, stone-hard boiled egg and hotdog sausage cut in slices.There is the choice of sweet croissants and super-sized donuts. I don't know if eating sugary croissants or donuts is Italian breakfast traditiion, or if it was poor attempt to please American tourists, but in my opinion it's weird and unhealthy. Sugary, coloured water pretended to be juice, and coffee is only available from the automat.
Restaurant is also open for dinner and we had tried it once, hoping that the service and food was better. The food was tasteless, and the prices really high comparing to the restaurants in the centre of Rome.
The hotel is situated in walking distance from the metro station, but the metro is awfully dirty, smelly and not air-conditioned. We bought the 3-day ticket, and according to the information it was supposed to expire at midnight on the third day from the purchase, but it expired already on the second day.
The pavements in the surrounding of the hotel, and generally in Rome are in disastrous condition - there are holes in holes on top of holes, and walking in any other shoes than sneakers is very challenging. Definitely don't take nice shoes to Rome, as they will be ruined.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Joanna W
OlyHotelStaff, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Oly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear Mrs. Winkel, first of all I want to thank you for your review.

I confess that I felt a little bit disappointed reading your words.

First of all because of some problems we are not able to fix: I mean the air conditioning inside the metro station, the bus tickets or the holes in the streets (remember that when you visit Rome you always walk among several 2.000 yrs old ruins).

But the real surprise is reading about the problems we can easily fix: it’s true, our fridge is almost empty (only 2 bottle of water free of charge inside), but as you can read in several reviews we have replaced the mini bar with some vending machines located in the 3rd floor; regarding the tv, wi-fi and lights in the bathroom, I don’t remember receiving any reporting from you during your stay: for example, our wi-fi connection works fast and properly, but sometimes a simple pc-firewall can create problems.

For that reason it is always better to ask for the reception assistance. I also would like to reassure you that in the bathroom there is a normal button to switch off the light.

It is really important for me to clarify some things about breakfast:
Croissants and donuts aren’t a poor attempt to please American guests. Their correct names are “cornetto” and “ciambella” and both cakes are belonging to the old roman cuisine tradition. We would like to introduce our guests on our tradition, but we must respect different tastes.
For that reason you can enjoy a continental breakfast or even, if you prefer, some other courses.

Last but not least: just ask.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

At 1st its not a 4* hotel!!!
to get there from station is not easy( its up on the hill) - so if you have problem with walking, don't choose it. And we all probably feel the legs after all day in Rome. The evening walk from the station is not a nice one - area look a bit dirty, not many street lights.
Arrives - reception, all you get the card to you room & time of breakfast. Nothing more- i except more from 4* stuff....
Room really big,decorated in 1980. But really clean ! One of the info is about security - so i had feelings - like something going on, so i put all my stuff safe.
Breakfast - simple,not much hot food- but was a good experience. Nice people working in the restaurant, the same for evening drink. Good.
Back to hotel after 10hrs in Rome- reception no reaction. Room been clean - pleasure.
so if you have too- stay there but if you have more choice (2000 hotels in Rome) - chose really carefully. By the way - Rome is fantastic...

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank dep1974
OlyHotelStaff, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Oly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear Guest, i would like to thank you for your nice review.

However, I feel that you have confused our hotel with another: in fact there are some points that I have to make clear:

4* - First of all I would like to highlight the characteristics an hotel must have to receive the 4* classification:

1. Reception 16h/24 ( ours is open 24h)
2. Baggage service (we can provide)
3. Two foreign languages spoken (3, in our case)
4. Double bedroom: at least 15 sqm ( 22, in our hotel)
5. Bathroom: at least 4smq (5, in our hotel)

Therefore, I assure you that according to the current law we are 4* hotel;

How to get us - It’s very easy to get the hotel from the metro station (San paolo Basilica) as you can read in our web site: you should go right, taking the Gaspare Gozzi street for 300mt, then left for 300mt (following Antonino Pio street).

Check in - During the check-in operations we always inform our guest about the hotel, how to get the centre (bus, metro and taxi), how to have a good dinner in the restaurant, in our district or in the city centre. We always recommend some places to visit and we always give them 2 maps: one to the city centre and one to the district.

Hotel decoration - Our hotel has been built in 1988 and it has been renewed in 2001: not in 1980.

Security - Finally, our hotel is located in a quit residential area, and we don’t need to warn our guests if they want to visit our district.

We always pay attention to the reviews of our guests: for that reason we invite you to contact us to complete your feedback.

Best regards
Edoardo Osti

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Nice spacious rooms. Comfy beds. Very clean and comfortable. We were a little disapointed that we didn't have a bathtub but, the actual bathroom was huge! They need to put rubber mats in the shower. It was slippy, actually very slippy. That could become a hasard. The hotel is a little far from the center of Rome but very accessable by metro. Enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony!! second floor.