“Excellent budget hotel, even better location!”
Review of Hotel Cortorillo

Hotel Cortorillo
Ranked #1,138 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Excellent budget hotel. Brilliant location, close to termini, which is the main train station. Everything is is close walking distance, however the metro and bus links and excellent to get everywhere. This hotel is a good base for exploring the city. Rooms are very basic, with quite old furnishings, although has TV and fridge. There is a wet room with shower and hairdryer. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is literally bread and jam with coffee, which was absolutely fine for the busy day ahead. Considering this hotel was so cheap, it was exactly what we expected and perfect what we needed during our stay in Rome. I would definitely recommend it to friends. This is a brilliant budget hotel, no frills. We flew to the smaller airport (Campino) and booked a bus for transport to and from city with terravision.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Cortorillo

Reviewed September 18, 2010

I had booked the hotel for 3 days and received the confirmation from the Hotel, so I went to check in on time. While I went to the hotel and gave the booking reference to the reception, he checked and then called a man, he said that we (I with my friend - two girls) should follow him and they are the same. So we followed the man to a apartment, there are three rooms in a flat. At that time I had no suggestions, so I paid the monies to the man and he gave me his card. At that time we knew it is a Bed & Breakfast and he gave me a map and also told me how could go the sightseeings. After he left for only 5 minutes, the light shut down suddenly, we were afraid and felt horrible, so I called the man and asked him why. He replied that there was no electric for 2 hours for the whole area. So we left the room and went back to the hotel and ask the receiption. He told me that this areas were always liked this and not be afraid. So I went to had a walked to visit some sight first and then turned back to the B&B before 5:00p.m..

At that time, there was electric. Then I checked my room and found that there was only a window in the washroom which cannot closed. Besides, people could see everything through the key hole. The door of the room is sliding to close that is very dangerous. The washroom had smell. So I hadn't sleep on the first night. The breakfast was having on the 4th floor in one room of a flat, and it was very poor.

Then I booked another four star hotel for the following two days. I moved to the new hotel on the second night and checked out the B&B on the third day morning before 9:30a.m.. And I hadn't got back the monies for the third night.

The hotel is very unreliable that I booked the hotel before 2 months. If they did't have any room then they could send e-mail to tell me, not the confirmation. When I went to the hotel on the first night, I told the other receiption my stories, he felt it was normal. So I recommend that if you want to book this hotel, you should have a deep think that they may also send you to the other Bed & Breakfast or place.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lwmteresa
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Had 2 weeks in Europe on honeymoon...3 nights in Rome in the Hotel Cortorillo. This is a solid 2 star hotel. The previous reviews are mostly accurate. Here's the good and the bad, first the bad:
-bathroom is very small with no shower curtain (everything gets wet)
-Air conditioner works, but not well enough to cool the room
-furnishings are spartan and low quality
-the breakfast is sparse (there is a great bakery 2 blocks down the street)
-elevator is small (2-3 person max)
-wifi is available but doesn't have a good connection on 5th floor (that's where the rooms are).

The good:
-price
-it has an elevator that works
-internet is available on the first floor via a public computer
-area is safe and close to restaurants, train station, and central to all attractions
-staff is very helpful and friendly
-rooms have double paned glass windows (offers some quiet from the noisy streets).

Overall, it's an acceptable hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sam P
Reviewed June 3, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights. The rooms were clean and tidy with room service provided. Safety lockers provided in the room with TV also.

Nice breakfast and free coffee of your choice is provided everyday. The staff are nice and helpful and they offered to hire a taxi to take us to airport at 4am.

No wi-fi in the room but free internet provided in the lobby room. Connection was not always okay though.

Located close to the train station. Bus stations and metro station are just walks away though I think the area was a bit unsafe late at night.

Overall it is a decent hostel at this price range and I will stay in the hostel if I visit Rome again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2009

It's owned by a family (a mom and a son). The mom doesn't know English. She looks like unfriendly, but actually she is soooooooooooo nice! She made a free coffee for me to wake up in the early morning I checked in! The son is very helpful and polite. He told me where I can buy low priced clothes, and introduced a very good italian restaurant next door (La Mensa di Bacci Rustirante Pizzeria).

It's a 2-star hotel, u can't expect what facilities they have. At least they have a good location closed to the train station but safe. After u check in at the small lobby, u have to go out the lobby and go into the building by the entrance next door. They have a very old elevator that u have to open/close the door by yourself. The rooms are located on the 3rd & 4th floor.

The room I stayed was clean. The room costed me euro 55/night including simple breakfast. There is a safebox in the room~ There is no curtain to separate the shower and the toilet, and there is no window in the toilet, so the floor would be wet for a long time after shower. Hot water will come out one minute after u switch on the tap. But it's fine for me. They don't provide toothpaste, toothbrush and shampoo, but have a soap and hair dryer on the wall.

It takes u 2-3 minutes to the main train station. It's located on the street where so many Chinese open their shops. I don't feel dangerous on the street even at night (I am an Asian female solo traveller).

The breakfast place is next to the front desk, a very simple breakfast serving bread, juice and coffee only. U can also take the fruit/bread/snack there anytime u need!

Anyway, it's still good value for money in Rome!! I have suggested it for people who travel in tight budget!

Tips: They have 24 hrs reception but the staff will lock the lobby door at 11pm for safe, and he may sleeps in the sofa that u have to wake him up if u arrive late or get back ur key on front desk. If then, u better save the telephone number and call the staff a few minutes before u arrive to ensure he is there.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank ahmao1217
Reviewed October 3, 2009

You get what you pay for. This is more like a pensione than a hotel. If you want room service don't come here. If you want a clean bed, clean room, plenty of cupboards, drawers, wadrobe space, a hot shower and clean bathroom, mirror for the ladys, TV, then book.
24 hour reception is great, the breky was ok (continental help yourself).
You need to check in at street level, not the 5 floors up where all the signs point. The location is ideal for walking and everything and metro etc.
The guy behind the dsk was really helpful.
It was fine for our trip to Rome. We were only in the Hotel to sleep.

If you go to the Vatican Museum (Sistene Chapel) book on line for about 2 euros extra and walk straight in! No queueing. Same for Coleseum.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RichardHalifax
Reviewed June 18, 2009

My family of 4 adults booked a quad room. There was sufficient sleeping area (3 beds - 2 singles and 1 double) but there were not enough space for us to place our luggages. The bathroom was really really tiny. There was no shower curtain separating the shower area and the rest of the bathroom, and due to the small size of the bathroom, a shower would flood the bathroom and cause the whole room to be really wet.

The location is superb, walking distance from Roma Termini (2 min walk) and there are plenty of dining options around the area. The staff was also very friendly and helpful as they gave us tips on where to shop outside the city area. The breakfast was sufficient, but do not expect much.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family